forum

[duplicate] Beatmap notes and song rewind after leaving the pause menu

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
Neymarcus
When we leave the pause menu, we often miss the next note or even fail the song.

The suggestion is quite simple:
After leaving the pause menu, the song rewinds a few seconds to allow all players to synchronize before the scoring restarts.
The notes would be hittable, but wouldn't count on your score, the score would restart to be counted when the previous pausing time was reached.

As for instance, the notes would appear in grey (like when you fail on the multiplayer), and become colored when reaching the pause point.

Also, i'm sure restarting the song isn't a valid solution, when we are playing marathons or when we correctly hit a hard jump, for instance,if we restart the song we'll have to play 20 minutes again, risking to miss a note, just because we really had to pause the game.

Another thing is that some programs can take the focus away from Osu!, making the cursor going to the corner of the screen and then pausing the game, when get off the pause, we must click the corner and then the note, which is really hard in most cases.
uzzi
I think this'll screw over players a lot more. Doesn't really seem necessary. Also you say 'we', but who are you really referring to?
JhowM
Topic Starter
Neymarcus
If you are playing, for instance, The quick brown fox - the big black, and you have to pause for a couple seconds or minutes because your anti virus poped up or something, i really doubt that you'll keep your combo when returning to the game.

Also, this feature is already present in huge rhythm games such as rock band: Green Day: Rock Band (and sucessors) and Guitar Hero: World Tour(and sucessors).
Kabu
Even though it sounds a good idea, if this was implanted into the game, it would be hard to do such thing.. And could be easily abused for higher accuracy/scores.
Take an example of someone pausing in the middle of a stream, that would give him the rewind possibility to get all notes 300s if he missed one before pausing.
Topic Starter
Neymarcus

Tsukiga Kuroi wrote:

Even though it sounds a good idea, if this was implanted into the game, it would be hard to do such thing.. And could be easily abused for higher accuracy/scores.
Take an example of someone pausing in the middle of a stream, that would give him the rewind possibility to get all notes 300s if he missed one before pausing.

MarcusDEFGH wrote:

the song rewinds a few seconds to allow all players to synchronize before the scoring restarts.
The notes would be hittable, but wouldn't count on your score, the score would restart to be counted when the previous pausing time was reached.

As for instance, the notes would appear in grey (like when you fail on the multiplayer), and become colored when reaching the pause point.
Kabu

MarcusDEFGH wrote:

Oh, now that sounds better. Make it a bit more clear on your first post please.

+support
no stars though.
Topic Starter
Neymarcus

Tsukiga Kuroi wrote:

MarcusDEFGH wrote:

Oh, now that sounds better. Make it a bit more clear on your first post please.
done, thanks.
deadbeat
assuming this gets added, this would HAVE to be a toggle thing, which makes me think it's not worth adding.
i will admit some toggled features were nice additions to osu!, i just don't think this is one of them :(

can't you just try pause at better places?
Maeglwn
if you're pausing in the middle of a song that isn't a break, then you really just need to pause in better spots. most people shouldn't need this feature, songs are pretty much often short enough to the point where this feature wouldn't be usable enough
Topic Starter
Neymarcus

Maeglwn wrote:

if you're pausing in the middle of a song that isn't a break, then you really just need to pause in better spots. most people shouldn't need this feature, songs are pretty much often short enough to the point where this feature wouldn't be usable enough

deadbeat wrote:

assuming this gets added, this would HAVE to be a toggle thing, which makes me think it's not worth adding.
i will admit some toggled features were nice additions to osu!, i just don't think this is one of them :(

can't you just try pause at better places?
Some songs doesn't have those "better spots", and sometimes you won't be able to choose a good spot for pausing, i think that's the main reason why this feature was added on rock band and guitar hero.
Kabu

MarcusDEFGH wrote:

Some songs doesn't have those "better spots", and sometimes you won't be able to choose a good spot for pausing, i think that's the main reason why this feature was added on rock band and guitar hero.
Even though I support this, I have to agree with them.
Also, that makes training stamina pointless:
"OH MY GOD I JUST FC'ED <insanely stupid map here> ...with 72 pauses"
Topic Starter
Neymarcus

Tsukiga Kuroi wrote:

MarcusDEFGH wrote:

Even though I support this, I have to agree with them.
Also, that makes training stamina pointless:
"OH MY GOD I JUST FC'ED <insanely stupid map here> ...with 72 pauses"
Damn it, i didn't thought about that.
It could really ruin competitive ranking when it comes to stamina...
so this pause would only be viable if did in a limited amount of times, and, in short, would not be "worth it".
Mezzaten
This idea is stupid. Besides, Rock Band and GH don't have a rewind time for when you pause, they simply have a small countdown. Thus, after pausing, you will simply have a few seconds to regain position until the song starts again.
Topic Starter
Neymarcus

Mezzaten wrote:

This idea is stupid. Besides, Rock Band and GH don't have a rewind time for when you pause, they simply have a small countdown. Thus, after pausing, you will simply have a few seconds to regain position until the song starts again.

That could be guitar hero, but rock band do have this rewind.
Mezzaten
It doesn't make your idea any less stupid.
As Maelgwn said, you're simply choosing poorly where to pause. Besides, you used Big Black as an example. Nobody fucking pauses big black when not in a break.
deadbeat
i'm just gonna end this now i think. this isn't really going anywhere, little gain for a huge loss
Kabu
Idea got down so fast
deadbeat is probably gonna smash his head on the close thread button