forum

Masato Nakamura - Starlight Zone

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
poddo
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 5:06:54 PM

Artist: Masato Nakamura
Title: Starlight Zone
Source: Sonic the Hedgehog
Tags: video games instrumental chiptune 16-bit sega
BPM: 125
Filesize: 2219kb
Play Time: 01:24
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (2.16 stars, 94 notes)
  2. Hard (4.73 stars, 175 notes)
  3. Normal (3.47 stars, 116 notes)
Download: Masato Nakamura - Starlight Zone
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
first beatmap! the skin is only compatible with old skin behaviour!!
(remember to raise volume up when playing hard mode, the song sounds quiet so some hits are hard to understand what part of the song they follow if your volume is too low)

Modders:
Kibbleru
Sellenite
thank you so much for modding my map! uwu
Kibbleru
ok M4M via queue

lets see here~

tip: use grid level 4 or no grid snap, its better

Starlight Zone
  1. Difficulty name is unrankable, the difficulty spread needs to show the level of difficulty, i don't think many people will get the idea from "Starlight Zone"
  2. 00:00:000 (1) - wow the song starts right away? have a bit of a lead in time. will catch people off guard if you leave it like this
  3. 00:02:400 (7,1) - blanket or something? wrap the slider edge along the approach circle
  4. 00:03:240 (2) - try something more like this. it's okay to break distance snap in certain patterns on the harder difficulties
  5. 00:05:640 (7,2) - stack?
  6. 00:06:960 (2,1) - ^
  7. 00:09:480 (4,6) - why does this overlap?? just blanket normally?
  8. 00:20:640 (4,5) - fix blanket
  9. 00:43:680 - break too long considering the length of the song
  10. 01:12:000 (9,2) - careful not to overlap like this
  11. 01:15:840 (9,2) - ^
    Basically just go through your map and try to get things to blanket, and some to stack. This helps your map look neater
    Avoid unintended overlaps between sliders & sliders or sliders & circles
Normal
  1. 00:00:000 (1,2) - get these sliders to blanket. perhaps something like this
  2. 00:02:880 (1,2,3) - maybe on normal, use a slider with reverse for triplets like these
  3. 01:01:920 (4,5) - blanket?
    Anyway, ive just pointed out a few of the mistakes, some of them repeat many times so i expect you to go through your map and fix them :P
    Use the knowledge that you've gained and try to make the map better
Easy
  1. AR+1?
  2. 00:00:000 (1) - rhythm suggestion
  3. 00:10:560 (1,1) - bad overlap
  4. 00:19:680 (1,4) - ^
  5. and many morreee--
  6. 01:12:000 (3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5) - too many consecutive circles
    The difficulty seems too rigid, it looks nicer if you have more curves and such
Anyway, good luck, i haven't pointed out alot but i've just made examples of the kinds of mistakes you've made. You should find and fix the others yourself to learn!
Topic Starter
poddo
edit: idk what the heck happened with those "code" things under the hard spoiler box, i'm super new to this sort of html on forums...sorry
edit 2: i figured it out I HIT CODE INSTEAD OF QUOTE
edit 3: fixed...//i'm an idiot
hard
SPOILER
Difficulty name is unrankable, the difficulty spread needs to show the level of difficulty, i don't think many people will get the idea from "Starlight Zone"
Done!

00:00:000 (1) - wow the song starts right away? have a bit of a lead in time. will catch people off guard if you leave it like this
if i change the mp3's length, won't i need to re-time the whole thing!?..won't that make all my notes mess up?(i will remember this next time when i do a song like these - most of the mp3s start right off at 0 :? )

00:02:400 (7,1) - blanket or something? wrap the slider edge along the approach circle
wasn't really trying to do an EXACT blanket but sort of a weird shape for the sliders. i'll go ahead and turn these into more of a blanket for rest of the map. thank you for the advice with the approach circle! didn't think of that

00:03:240 (2) - try something more like this. it's okay to break distance snap in certain patterns on the harder difficulties
that sort of shape with the circles was intentional, unless they're too far away, i don't think i should change them

00:06:960 (2,1) - ^
not a fan of stacking notes so far away, does this look better though?

00:09:480 (4,6) - why does this overlap?? just blanket normally?
i did that because the slider went outside of the "safe" zone of the map's layout, though now i just noticed that doesn't do what i thought it does, so i fixed it, thanks!

00:43:680 - break too long considering the length of the song
i can't find the correct place to add more notes between this break...
and i feel like the break in the easy mode should stay, though how do i shorten it without adding circles in weird parts of the song for the other modes?

01:12:000 (9,2) - careful not to overlap like this
01:15:840 (9,2) - ^
fixed!

Basically just go through your map and try to get things to blanket, and some to stack. This helps your map look neater
i'll still avoid the stacks of notes that come after another, reeeaallly not a fan of that. i'll make the distance closer though!

normal
SPOILER
00:00:000 (1,2) - get these sliders to blanket. perhaps something like this
fixed!

00:02:880 (1,2,3) - maybe on normal, use a slider with reverse for triplets like these
no, it's not too hard to hit or anything, keeping the circles.

01:01:920 (4,5) - blanket?
done!

easy
SPOILER
AR+1?
feels too similar to normal mode IMO

00:00:000 (1) - rhythm suggestion
it does sound nice but since it's the beginning of the song, i wanted to keep a long slider to basically help the player approach the rest of the map(since the song starts off very fast), basically a way to make newcomers more comfortable with how the map will go..does that make sense?

00:10:560 (1,1) - bad overlap
oh! didn't even notice that. fixed!

01:12:000 (3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5) - too many consecutive circles
fixed
nah, it's supposed to be like that

edit: thank you for the modding and everything!! this really helped me out uwu
Sellenite
Helllo!from Modding Queues M4M

[Geneal]
0ffset change to -480

[Easy]
00:01:920 (2,3,1) - use this rhythm better: somewhere put clap,you know it
00:05:760 (3) - you can keep the slider head and end the same line
00:12:960 (1) - ^
00:41:760 (3) - ^
01:00:480 (2) - overlap

[Normal]
00:14:160 (3,4,5) - overlap
00:29:280 (1,2,3) - many like this don't put a triangle is better
01:16:320 (1,2,3) - don't use this rhythm..so difficult

[Hard]
00:26:160 (1,2,3) - also like this please don't put this style ,it reall doesn't look nice and make the flow a little bad
00:37:920 (4,1) - put beautifully?
00:39:840 (4) - overlap
01:12:000 (9) - NC
01:12:720 (1) - remove NC
01:18:840 (4,5) - better put a little far

hope it can help you!
good luck~
Topic Starter
poddo
general
SPOILER
0ffset change to -480
bless you. fixed

easy

SPOILER
00:01:920 (2,3,1) - use this rhythm better: somewhere put clap,you know it
like remove the claps from some parts? i don't understand what i should do...

00:05:760 (3) - you can keep the slider head and end the same line
00:12:960 (1) - ^
00:41:760 (3) - ^
not doing this because i was trying to sync with the music - when the leading instrument and melody of the song stops for a while, it's a long slider, when the main instrument stars again, it's a short slider, does that make sense?

01:00:480 (2) - overlap
fixed

normal

SPOILER
00:14:160 (3,4,5) - overlap
i did this willingly, they're easier to hit if they overlap a bit

00:29:280 (1,2,3) - many like this don't put a triangle is better
fixed

01:16:320 (1,2,3) - don't use this rhythm..so difficult
that part is on kiai time, it's done on purpose, according to the osu wiki page for kiai time it says that it can be harder than previous sections, i really like that idea so i put it to use here, as long as it meets standard normal mode rules, i want to keep it.

hard

SPOILER
00:26:160 (1,2,3) - also like this please don't put this style ,it reall doesn't look nice and make the flow a little bad
is it better to stack? i stacked them

00:37:920 (4,1) - put beautifully?
fixed

00:39:840 (4) - overlap
fixed

01:12:000 (9) - NC
01:12:720 (1) - remove NC
fixed

01:18:840 (4,5) - better put a little far
fixed

thank you SO much!! you helped a lot, ESPECIALLY with the offset of my timing, i couldn't figure out what was wrong though i felt as if the timing was off beat OTL thank youuu. :)
Kibbleru

poddo wrote:

edit: idk what the heck happened with those "code" things under the hard spoiler box, i'm super new to this sort of html on forums...sorry
edit 2: i figured it out I HIT CODE INSTEAD OF QUOTE
edit 3: fixed...//i'm an idiot
hard
SPOILER
Difficulty name is unrankable, the difficulty spread needs to show the level of difficulty, i don't think many people will get the idea from "Starlight Zone"
Done!

00:00:000 (1) - wow the song starts right away? have a bit of a lead in time. will catch people off guard if you leave it like this
if i change the mp3's length, won't i need to re-time the whole thing!?..won't that make all my notes mess up?(i will remember this next time when i do a song like these - most of the mp3s start right off at 0 :? )

00:02:400 (7,1) - blanket or something? wrap the slider edge along the approach circle
wasn't really trying to do an EXACT blanket but sort of a weird shape for the sliders. i'll go ahead and turn these into more of a blanket for rest of the map. thank you for the advice with the approach circle! didn't think of that

00:03:240 (2) - try something more like this. it's okay to break distance snap in certain patterns on the harder difficulties
that sort of shape with the circles was intentional, unless they're too far away, i don't think i should change them

00:06:960 (2,1) - ^
not a fan of stacking notes so far away, does this look better though?

00:09:480 (4,6) - why does this overlap?? just blanket normally?
i did that because the slider went outside of the "safe" zone of the map's layout, though now i just noticed that doesn't do what i thought it does, so i fixed it, thanks!

00:43:680 - break too long considering the length of the song
i can't find the correct place to add more notes between this break...
and i feel like the break in the easy mode should stay, though how do i shorten it without adding circles in weird parts of the song for the other modes?

01:12:000 (9,2) - careful not to overlap like this
01:15:840 (9,2) - ^
fixed!

i'll still avoid the stacks of notes that come after another, reeeaallly not a fan of that. i'll make the distance closer though!

normal
SPOILER
00:00:000 (1,2) - get these sliders to blanket. perhaps something like this
fixed!

00:02:880 (1,2,3) - maybe on normal, use a slider with reverse for triplets like these
no, it's not too hard to hit or anything, keeping the circles.

01:01:920 (4,5) - blanket?
done!

easy
SPOILER
AR+1?
feels too similar to normal mode IMO

00:00:000 (1) - rhythm suggestion
it does sound nice but since it's the beginning of the song, i wanted to keep a long slider to basically help the player approach the rest of the map(since the song starts off very fast), basically a way to make newcomers more comfortable with how the map will go..does that make sense?

00:10:560 (1,1) - bad overlap
oh! didn't even notice that. fixed!

01:12:000 (3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5) - too many consecutive circles
fixed
nah, it's supposed to be like that

edit: thank you for the modding and everything!! this really helped me out uwu
u don't have to redo the timing u just have to move the offset ahead
why the hate on stacks :( they make maps look so much neater
Swayzo_old
Sorry for the late mod, Anyways:
Hard:
Overall, There's too many mistakes and errors in this map to manually tell you to fix ( :( ), so I'll tell you some ways you can improve your editing:

First of all, your kiai time should end @ 01:25:920, there's a similar part for your kiai time that should be at 00:28:560 - 00:43:680. I also don't think that's a good place to place your kiai, I don't even think this kiai is appropriate for this song.

Next are your sliders: They should be simple and have constant shapes by copying, pasting, and rotating the sliders. Curves/lines look more better to use.

Next are your patterns: They should be constant and similar to one another in place of song. Since this song repeats once, 01:10:800 this part and 00:28:560 this part are supposed to use similar techniques and stuff, some other parts too.

Next, note placements/distance: Make sure they have the same distance apart from one another. People tend to use 0.4x, 0.8x,1.2x,1.6x, 2x snap or 0.5x,1x,1.5x,2x snap. This is so that when you play the song, your mouse will move at a constant speed. For triples/drumrolls, people tend to use a lower snap. Like 01:10:800 (1,2,3,4) - for example, Should be distanced 0.4x or 0.5x because the notes are weirdly distanced, so some people might have a hard time playing along.
Also, for more emphasized parts of the song, add 1.2x or 1.5x, or 2x or 1.6x so that it really goes well with the song.

Next, difficulty: There's alot of empty spaces that 1 beat have no notes. Changing some of the notes to sliders will really bring the song together (unless if a part is supposed to be emphasized don't change to slider) It's okay to have some spare sounds, as long as if it's not making the song too different.

Next, hitsounds: Make sure they are constant, and don't over use them. Also, make sure there's only 1 hit sound that's following the beat, and the others are only played at certain parts. You also don't really need whistle everysingle note. I think it would sound better if you just have a clap going with the bass drum. But if you really want to add whistle for every note, you'll have to add that as the custom hitnormal sound. Just find that whistle sound, copy and paste into the same folder as your song. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=729 explains what to name your hitsounds (it should be soft-hitnormal) and to hear that sound, go to song setup > audio > enable custom overrides = checked.

Finally, the gameplay/design itself: I don't even think you need to add a break @ 00:43:920 since your song is short, and it doesn't create that mood. There are also some parts where sliders/notes are appropriate needed for the song like @ 01:04:560 - 01:06:480, And some that are kinda pointless like exampled area. And also, you should try using most of the space available instead of using the same area for the song. you should also use tiny/small grid (press g to change size) so that your map can look better.

Hope this helps :). Good luck.
Topic Starter
poddo
u don't have to redo the timing u just have to move the offset ahead
why the hate on stacks :( they make maps look so much neater
i actually took the offset even further into the start ahaha..wouldn't it still be off beat though? i'm not sure i get what you mean..

aah i like stacks when the beats are close..but when there are stacks of beats that are far away it's VERY annoying for me because whenever i see a stack i just assume it's for very fast paced clicking and i mess up...so i prefer stacks only at times when the notes are very close to eachother :?
Gishki_old
Hi!
As you helped me a lot with my beatmap, I'll help you in yours! Oh wait, it's modded too much :C

Just kidding! The only thing that I can suggest is reviewing 1:03-04 because I think that the rythm sounds a little badly. A tiny thing but can make the difference :9
Topic Starter
poddo

Gishki wrote:

Hi!
As you helped me a lot with my beatmap, I'll help you in yours! Oh wait, it's modded too much :C

Just kidding! The only thing that I can suggest is reviewing 1:03-04 because I think that the rythm sounds a little badly. A tiny thing but can make the difference :9
omg thank you! yeah, right now i'm trying to revise and remake the whole map ahaha so any help is good. doing it a bit slowly though because i've become busy with my studies again :( no such thing as too much help :)
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.