forum

Playing outside your difficulty range.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
FennyFen
I just discovered recently that I can play most 6* maps. I decided on a whim to give it a try and something just clicked and while i didn't do well, the plays I set were still pretty good. It brought to mind a question: is it wrong to play outside your comfort range this far? I usually play in 5.3-5.7. Yet the beat map download page recommends maps for me that are 4.3-4.5.

I guess I'm asking should I keep pushing for higher difficulty or stay in a difficult area and practice them for a bit? I think I can push 6.5* before it becoming unplayable.
Naiad
Nothing is wrong unless you're not enjoying it.

Now, in terms of improvement, I'd recommend to mostly stay away from maps that are hard enough that you are making so many errors that it's hard to isolate a single one. Personally I think in terms of improvement it's generally best to play maps that you can get low A ranks on say (say 94%ish). This will vary depending on the map, though, so don't keep to the 94% super strictly. For example, on an OD 8 map with only jumps and filler sections 94% means you're playing it very badly, whereas on a stream map one notelock could result in a massive amount of 100s/50s/misses.
Nanofranne
Both matters.

Pushing your limits are important to truly test how far you can go with everything you already have learned before in osu. But there is also the importance of perfecting what you can do for as highest as you can go (Both Accuracy and Combo), Mainly you're becoming more robust, all-rounder player. How much should you have the balance between these two will depend on you personally.

People who are more laid-back and doesn't tryhard as often will benefit from more perfecting, while People who are into the impulse and excitement of hard maps will benefit from more passing high star maps. As a rule of thumb, anything you can pass with an A grade is already on 'perfecting'. You can always try improving your accuracy and combo until you're satisfied or FC is made.