forum

Pain in the shoulder of my tapping arm

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NicNock
Recently, I've been trying to improve my accuracy on a certain stream map and it can be very rough on my tapping arm. I only play the map once or twice a day, and whatever pains I get eventually subside. I played the map a bit more, and there was less and less pain on each completion. This pain progression seemed normal since I've experienced it before on another map, and everything went fine.

Today I decided to play that map again. Everything was as usual when I completed it, only this time I got a mild pain in my shoulder that didn't go away. (i still have it as i type)

Now I just need to know how cooked I am. Do I just stick to lower bpms? Will it stop anytime soon? Or will I have to quit playing and begin my mapping arc and get this actually checked out?
McEndu
Wait a bit and check if it subsides or worsens. Stop playing for a moment.
Topic Starter
NicNock

McEndu wrote:

Wait a bit and check if it subsides or worsens. Stop playing for a moment.
The pain is pretty much gone now. I'd rather stop playing than get RSI though, so I'll stick to mapping for a while. Thank you!
dung eater
possibly you tensed up/didn't have shoulder relaxed when playing
_mp1506
McEndu always give the safest suggestions whilst giving you the freedom to express your possible choices. I would agree with dung eater tho, I think it's the main issue here. It's not that you should stick with low BPMs eternally, but periodically. Remember those feelings when you tap low BPMs since you wouldn't be as tense as when you challenged your top skills with relatively really hard maps which you need to squeeze yourself out of that (perhaps you do it on daily basis?). I suggest that you should first find out where the shoulder pain resides, whether it's your muscle or joint. If muscle then it's on the light side, but for joints it would stick until the end of your osu! career. That being said, it's actually manageable.

Next, you should consider learning to light-tap during your plays. I know an osu! Taiko friend (rank 4 Indo Katdon_Donkat which has been inactive online wise) who literally bashes his board 300 bpm with 1/6 snapping and he plays with 2 fingers and you can imagine how hard he taps the dung out of it. That guy has low stamina and I think it's because he got RSI way back (RSI true story). Lighter tapping in my opinion is generally better once you get the feel. It might be a bit too slick at first, but once you got the hang of it, control is no prob and you get extra stamina for doing it.

Enjoy the beat, stay relaxed just like the ice-cold terminator. Using HD mod helps me in that regard, you might wanna try it also. Also, free pp potential as people say.

And I just looked at your profile. You're a 2kpp player. 240 BPM streams are generally far too hard for your finger control and that might be the cause for you tapping too hard.

Wish you on quick recovery. Good luck. HF
Topic Starter
NicNock

_mp1506 wrote:

McEndu always give the safest suggestions whilst giving you the freedom to express your possible choices. I would agree with dung eater tho, I think it's the main issue here. It's not that you should stick with low BPMs eternally, but periodically. Remember those feelings when you tap low BPMs since you wouldn't be as tense as when you challenged your top skills with relatively really hard maps which you need to squeeze yourself out of that (perhaps you do it on daily basis?). I suggest that you should first find out where the shoulder pain resides, whether it's your muscle or joint. If muscle then it's on the light side, but for joints it would stick until the end of your osu! career. That being said, it's actually manageable.

Next, you should consider learning to light-tap during your plays. I know an osu! Taiko friend (rank 4 Indo Katdon_Donkat which has been inactive online wise) who literally bashes his board 300 bpm with 1/6 snapping and he plays with 2 fingers and you can imagine how hard he taps the dung out of it. That guy has low stamina and I think it's because he got RSI way back (RSI true story). Lighter tapping in my opinion is generally better once you get the feel. It might be a bit too slick at first, but once you got the hang of it, control is no prob and you get extra stamina for doing it.

Enjoy the beat, stay relaxed just like the ice-cold terminator. Using HD mod helps me in that regard, you might wanna try it also. Also, free pp potential as people say.

And I just looked at your profile. You're a 2kpp player. 240 BPM streams are generally far too hard for your finger control and that might be the cause for you tapping too hard.

There was something about the pain, it was very strange. Tensing my arm still caused pain until my elbow made a popping sound. Now my arm is fine, it's just a bit tired. I guess I forgot to stretch?
In hindsight, I should've expected this to happen. I always made it a rule to stop playing the instant I felt pain, but I got carried away from what looked like progress.
Anyways, I'll try out hidden and light-tapping once I get back into osu!. Thanks for the detailed response. :D
_mp1506

NicNock wrote:

_mp1506 wrote:

There was something about the pain, it was very strange. Tensing my arm still caused pain until my elbow made a popping sound. Now my arm is fine, it's just a bit tired. I guess I forgot to stretch?
In hindsight, I should've expected this to happen. I always made it a rule to stop playing the instant I felt pain, but I got carried away from what looked like progress.
Anyways, I'll try out hidden and light-tapping once I get back into osu!. Thanks for the detailed response. :D
I can actually pop my elbow intentionally. Lol. Are you playing with your elbow forming less than 90 degree angle? and it could also be because you're leaning forward like F1 car focused in the game and putting a little more weight on your elbow that was bent less than 90 degree while tapping hard with your arm and elbow tensed up? Because that's one of few ways to pop your elbow. But, this form puts much more stress on the elbow than the other way I know. I would call that method 'slowly killing my elbow' or some sort. If you're one of the doers then beware. If not, I wonder how you popped your angle...

To be fair, leaning forward a little bit is OK I think, but under certain conditions where you don't stress your elbow.

Just in case let me ask if your table is positioned considerably higher than your elbow?

*and I never stretch, just need to warm up and loosen up my muscles.
Topic Starter
NicNock

_mp1506 wrote:

NicNock wrote:

_mp1506 wrote:

I can actually pop my elbow intentionally. Lol. Are you playing with your elbow forming less than 90 degree angle? and it could also be because you're leaning forward like F1 car focused in the game and putting a little more weight on your elbow that was bent less than 90 degree while tapping hard with your arm and elbow tensed up? Because that's one of few ways to pop your elbow. But, this form puts much more stress on the elbow than the other way I know. I would call that method 'slowly killing my elbow' or some sort. If you're one of the doers then beware. If not, I wonder how you popped your angle...

To be fair, leaning forward a little bit is OK I think, but under certain conditions where you don't stress your elbow.

Just in case let me ask if your table is positioned considerably higher than your elbow?

*and I never stretch, just need to warm up and loosen up my muscles.
I actually rest my elbow on top of the table, I did this since I was experiencing pain there and looking back, it did seem like I was putting it at a less than 90 degree angle. Now it's around 90 degrees even when I was playing that 7* map.