forum

Is it ok to have 18h screen time daily?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
randomguy13580
yeah i use my computer alot and i checked my screen time 3 days , now it just shows 17-18h screen time.
Is it ok to me and my computer?
Nuuskamuikkunen
Absolutely not. Are you even sleeping well or eating well? Or even going outside for a while and taking some sun? That screentime is not okay.
Karmine

Nuuskamuikkunen wrote:

Absolutely not. Are you even sleeping well or eating well? Or even going outside for a while and taking some sun? That screentime is not okay.
Literally impossible to sleep well with only 6 hours left.
Winnyace
Your computer can handle. You certainly can't. Please go outside. Take a walk in a park, somewhere with lots of green. Please, your health is on the line.
Utsushime
I shouldn't have to tell you how extremely unhealthy it is for both your physical and mental well-being. Please take care of yourself and seek help if necessary. There is no shame in that.
MistressRemilia
You uhh, may want to take some breaks!
burgernfat
i want to believe you either leave your pc on to do render a scene overnight or just forget to shut it down but i also sort of feel that's not the case. also, judging by the fact that you sit on a chair for 18 hours a day, you probably aren't very healthy, so try incorporating other activities into your routine, like going for a jog. i'm sure you get bored at some point (i really don't believe anything can keep you entertained for 18 hours straight), so why do you choose to keep staring at the screen? instead of staring at it and waiting for a dopamine rush, you can try working towards a goal you have set for yourself (if you don't have one, getting in shape is a good first goal). if you just fill in even a small part of your inactive time with activities that improve you in some way, you will feel a lot happier in the long term
Topic Starter
randomguy13580
ok i guess i need to touch some grass
lostsilver

randomguy13580 wrote:

ok i guess i need to touch some grass
yes. yes you do
aplastic anemia
Yeah computers can take a lot of punishment so I wouldn't worry about that.

I run all 3 of mine very ragged. One of them has been on 24/7 for many years without rest.

The most I have had happen is: fan motors dying, AIO water pump failure, and a SATA cable failure. The AIO was 8 years old and the SATA cable was 10 years old. All of those problems were very cheap and easy to fix.
Achromalia
hearing these responses for someone else entirely is... an interesting thing to think about as a proxy vehicle for myself

sleeping in clusters of 20-90 minutes at a time (sometimes 3-5 hours on occasion),
and my computer is on 24/7, with the exception of:

+ any time i know i will not possibly be using the computer
+ ...but only as long as im not in the middle of a task

will i change? historically, i never have, and inferring from that... idk if i ever will, unless somethin' else changes...

i'm not sure how anyone would fix the complicated internally-narrativized topological entanglement of ego + volition + accessibility + resources + psychology + idiosyncrasy, et cetera

without detailing anything, sometimes you just... are fundamentally alienated/atomized/isolated and entirely unwilling to be vulnerable enough to risk finding somewhere to be with your own horribly maladaptive socialization, knowing that youre so far into your own head that most advice will not reach you unless there is a way where the context actively practices/facilitates/conditions the detangling of your intricate little web of coping-over-coping-over-coping, and active avoidance, and passive inertia, and zero volition, and omnidirectional distrust, and no stinking money, and no faith in any personal social capital or any characteristic that could ever maintain a bond when youre so [passive and detached] yet [childlike and clingy and insecure and overwrought, soaking in your own rumination], to the extent that you cannot trust any kind of socialization to be healthy or sustainable

walking? it "never helped", but how often do you try? i mean, i "did it a few times"... a few times isn't good enough? well "walking wasn't good enough to be able to do something the first few times", or something like that... also you need to be invisible and imperceptible, and this is not invisible and imperceptible-- not necessarily because anyone actually cares or would do anything even if they had an impression of disgust/fear/aversion/avoidance, but possibly because by being visible to others i become more visible to myself, a viewer of myself, a vigilant puppeteer over myself

in general, in conditions where someone is this deeply woven-through within their own experiences and precedents and impressions and conclusions, a lot of the advice given here can appear... quite trite and deaf

it's not that people are not trying, but rather that people cannot really even imagine how to try, or will themselves to invest so much in a person to painstakingly learn the terms-and-conditions of a person's needs/wants, their sense of self, their agency, and so on. there truly is not enough information to make sense of a person, and at most, maybe there is one or two specific experiences you both share that may allow you to connect with something. but ultimately, all of that can alienate/atomize/isolate a person further

...ive forgotten what i meant to communicate...

i dont think i can really imagine the conditions of your life, op, and i dont have anything i can even speculate about. i will be trite, but at least i will be sincere-- i hope you will find what you need to balance your life and maybe spare time for something else than computer-time that you may need for other material and social/emotional and medical/biomechanical needs

gl, hf
Nanofranne
Unless you use a big portion of that to learning and/or working, You should aim to reduce your screen time.
great_elmo
You know it's not good if my screen time hasn't even been set up.
Puppet
When i have vacation or whatever i also have a screen time close to 20 Hours half of the day. I can tell you its probably very bad for your mental health especially if you dont eat,drink and sleep enough. Make sure to go outside and exercise as well 🙏
BluePyTheWDeer_
TOUCH GRASS DUDE
nyun5
Yes, absolutely, as long as you have no problem developing clinical depression. 

Jokes aside, I think the reason you have such high screen time is because of isolation or/a,d a lack of movement. I suggest you get out of your room first and get some work done; maybe even start sports (personally approved). 
Patatitta
you should aim for 24h
[-Omni-]
frown face.. :C take care of urself
I AM VERY SMART
Everything above 3h is dangerous
Patatitta

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

not really, if you work in IT you're at least required to have like 8 hours of screentime, outside of whatever you do home, and IT isn't particullary known to be dangerous, hand injuries because of typing are more common than eye ones. Also, while there are some studies that show that children with high ammount of screentimes can face problems like sleeping problems, however, there aren't really any studies that show that this is the same for adults, it's not a particullary well researched field so don't really go around saying stuff like that
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

not really, if you work in IT you're at least required to have like 8 hours of screentime, outside of whatever you do home, and IT isn't particullary known to be dangerous, hand injuries because of typing are more common than eye ones. Also, while there are some studies that show that children with high ammount of screentimes can face problems like sleeping problems, however, there aren't really any studies that show that this is the same for adults, it's not a particullary well researched field so don't really go around saying stuff like that
No. Even adults can have problems like children, because in the long term, there can be complications such as desocialization due to isolation, concentration problems, sleep disorders, and many more. All of these can increase the risk of depression in the future
Karmine

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

No. Even adults can have problems like children, because in the long term, there can be complications such as desocialization due to isolation, concentration problems, sleep disorders, and many more. All of these can increase the risk of depression in the future
I AM VERY SMART

Karmine wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

You're so funny Karmine 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

https://gaeconseil.fr/les-ecrans-quels-sont-les-risques-dune-consommation-excessive/#:~:text=Les%20personnes%20ayant%20un%20usage,la%20sant%C3%A9%20mentale%20du%20consommateur.
Patatitta

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Karmine wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

https://gaeconseil.fr/les-ecrans-quels-sont-les-risques-dune-consommation-excessive/#:~:text=Les%20personnes%20ayant%20un%20usage,la%20sant%C3%A9%20mentale%20du%20consommateur.
that is about ADDICTION to online services, it is NOT about the effect of the screen on their retinas
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Karmine wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

that is about ADDICTION to online services NOT to the effect of the screen on their retinas
????? Did you read the article
Patatitta

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Karmine wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

that is about ADDICTION to online services NOT to the effect of the screen on their retinas
????? Did you read the article
the first point on health risk is LITERALLY about bad posture

another point is "lack of physical exercise", which isn't an effect of actually having like 3h of screentime, but it becoming an addiction and refusing to do anything else

and again, that 3 hour figure you mentioned is the time spent on social media daily where addiction may become a reality

Karmine
So your only source is a company whose business is selling training courses about addictions and doesn't cite any other source itself?
Duck o-o

Karmine wrote:

So your only source is a company whose business is selling training courses about addictions and doesn't cite any other source itself?
from the gae council no less
smh
sametdze
if 18h screentime is bad then i may or may not be fucked
Karmine

Dementedduck wrote:

Karmine wrote:

from the gae council no less
smh
:D
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

another point is "lack of physical exercise", which isn't an effect of actually having like 3h of screentime, but it becoming an addiction and refusing to do anything else

and again, that 3 hour figure you mentioned is the time spent on social media daily where addiction may become a reality

This article talks about the consequences of excessive screen use in general, adults and children, which is the case of randomguy13580 with his 18h screen time daily. Statistics show that this problem affects children and adults alike, so I don't understand why you're saying "however, there aren't really any studies that show that this is the same for adults" in the first place. I'm pretty sure you were talking about IT only, but I don't work in IT to say if spending 8 hours behind a screen is unhealthy or not

The 3 hours I mentioned were in fact the time spend on social networks, which concerns about 5 billion people if you Google it. It's dangerous because most people don't see the problems directly and end up with a lot of issues in the future
Patatitta

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

This article talks about the consequences of excessive screen use in general, adults and children, which is the case of randomguy13580 with his 18h screen time daily. Statistics show that this problem affects children and adults alike, so I don't understand why you're saying "however, there aren't really any studies that show that this is the same for adults" in the first place. I'm pretty sure you were talking about IT only, but I don't work in IT to say if spending 8 hours behind a screen is unhealthy or not

The 3 hours I mentioned were in fact the time spend on social networks, which concerns about 5 billion people if you Google it. It's dangerous because most people don't see the problems directly and end up with a lot of issues in the future
You're shifting the discussion, You claimed 3 hours of screentime by itself was dangerous, I said it wasn't, I claimed that study wasn't about the actual effects of looking at a screen, you claimed it was, I responded and now the conversation was never about that in the first place

My point is that the actual ACT of looking at a screen isn't dangeorus by itself, it's how you use it that it's dangeorus

also, I really doubt you really looked at that 3 hours figure before posting it, pretty sure you kinda pulled it off your ass first and then just happened that the study mentioned 3 hours in one segment
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

You're shifting the discussion, You claimed 3 hours of screentime by itself was dangerous, I said it wasn't, I claimed that study wasn't about the actual effects of looking at a screen, you claimed it was, I responded and now the conversation was never about that in the first place

My point is that the actual ACT of looking at a screen isn't dangeorus by itself, it's how you use it that it's dangeorus

also, I really doubt you really looked at that 3 hours figure before posting it, pretty sure you kinda pulled it off your ass first and then just happened that the study mentioned 3 hours in one segment
"You claimed 3 hours of screentime by itself was dangerous, I said it wasn't" No. I said everything above 3h is dangerous, meaning that beyond these hours spend behind a screen daily, most of the time for trivial reasons, the effects start to lean more on the negative side than the positive one. It's not just looking at a screen for 3h then nothing else that will cause issues

"I claimed that study wasn't about the actual effects of looking at a screen, you claimed it was" Because it is. To quote those I didn't mention, too much screentime can lead to headaches, eye strain, lack of physical activity, a feeling of loss when no screen, and many more. I don't know if you wanted more detailed results about it, but my goal was to prove that there are side effects even for adults as well, which you didn't seem to confirm before

"I responded and now the conversation was never about that in the first place" You responded by raising a few points in the article and I replied by stating the purpose of this article. I don't know why you're saying I'm "shifting the discussion" knowing that all I did was maintain my position

Btw, this is some crazy statement to say I "pulled it off my ass", otherwise I wouldn't have said anything about it. Do you really think I didn't do research before?
Jangsoodlor

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

"You claimed 3 hours of screentime by itself was dangerous, I said it wasn't" No. I said everything above 3h is dangerous, meaning that beyond these hours spend behind a screen daily, most of the time for trivial reasons, the effects start to lean more on the negative side than the positive one. It's not just looking at a screen for 3h then nothing else that will cause issues

"I claimed that study wasn't about the actual effects of looking at a screen, you claimed it was" Because it is. To quote those I didn't mention, too much screentime can lead to headaches, eye strain, lack of physical activity, a feeling of loss when no screen, and many more. I don't know if you wanted more detailed results about it, but my goal was to prove that there are side effects even for adults as well, which you didn't seem to confirm before

"I responded and now the conversation was never about that in the first place" You responded by raising a few points in the article and I replied by stating the purpose of this article. I don't know why you're saying I'm "shifting the discussion" knowing that all I did was maintain my position

Btw, this is some crazy statement to say I "pulled it off my ass", otherwise I wouldn't have said anything about it. Do you really think I didn't do research before?
But you're addressing the question of whether "Is it ok to have 18h screen time daily?" You're literally red herring here. Yes you do research, but it just does not address the point of this topic.
Karmine
Let's stop feeding the troll?
Lyawi
Feel free to discuss but don't be douches.
Duck o-o

Lyawi wrote:

Feel free to discuss but don't be douches.
Everyone is now permabanned
Its so over
I AM VERY SMART

Jangsoodlor wrote:

But you're addressing the question of whether "Is it ok to have 18h screen time daily?" You're literally red herring here. Yes you do research, but it just does not address the point of this topic.
The point of this thread is just if it's ok to have 18h screen time daily and I responded by saying everything above 3h is dangerous, implying that this is not okay to have 18h screen time daily. I did research for patatitta to prove why this is not okay, so saying I didn't address the point of this topic is quite paradoxical knowing that I literally responded in the first place
Patatitta

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

The point of this thread is just if it's ok to have 18h screen time daily and I responded by saying everything above 3h is dangerous, implying that this is not okay to have 18h screen time daily. I did research for patatitta to prove why this is not okay, so saying I didn't address the point of this topic is quite paradoxical knowing that I literally responded in the first place
I mean, the problem with 18 hours is that they were neglecting sleep, even if they had 12 it would be ok.
Winnyace
I think it is pretty intuitive why having that much screen time daily is bad. I'm not going to comment on the 3h figure threw around and whatnot. I don't think I'm qualified to do that. What I think I can recommend though is a mix of screen and real life should be done, even if it is just walk around town.
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

I mean, the problem with 18 hours is that they were neglecting sleep, even if they had 12 it would be ok.
What really counts is what will come in the future if the person does nothing about their screen time. The real consequence would be that people, especially children and teens, starts to get addicted over time creating a snowball effect, meaning that they can spend from an hour or two in front of a screen to 18h or even bigger

The solution for that would be to limit screen time so you don't think about it afterwards
Patatitta

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

What really counts is what will come in the future if the person does nothing about their screen time. The real consequence would be that people, especially children and teens, starts to get addicted over time creating a snowball effect, meaning that they can spend from an hour or two in front of a screen to 18h or even bigger

The solution for that would be to limit screen time so you don't think about it afterwards
I mean, let's say I were to smoke, would I teach my children to smoke?, fuck no, if playing mmos or whatever ends up being an addiciton, that's not something you really teach other people to really follow, again, my point is that what is dangerous is neglecting other activities, it's the addiction, NOT the raw hours of screentime
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

I mean, let's say I were to smoke, would I teach my children to smoke?, fuck no, if playing mmos or whatever ends up being an addiciton, that's not something you really teach other people to really follow, again, my point is that what is dangerous is neglecting other activities, it's the addiction, NOT the raw hours of screentime
Wdym by that? Smoking and spending your time behind a screen are two completely different things, so this analogy is false

I also don't understand your reasoning with mmos. What's stopping you to teach other people to play games if their screen time is limited? They won't become addicts if they set themselves boundaries, or if you teach them to set themselves boundaries if they're your kids

And of course, the less screen time you have, the more time you have for other activities. You won't become addicted if you think less about screens
Patatitta

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

Wdym by that? Smoking and spending your time behind a screen are two completely different things, so this analogy is false

I also don't understand your reasoning with mmos. What's stopping you to teach other people to play games if their screen time is limited? They won't become addicts if they set themselves boundaries, or if you teach them to set themselves boundaries if they're your kids

And of course, the less screen time you have, the more time you have for other activities. You won't become addicted if you think less about screens
I will repeat this once again

The problem is NOT the actual screens, it's the addiction to the content of those screens, the actual time spent looking at those screens is irrelevant if you're not neglecting your other activities, you can spend the rest of your day looking at a screen if you want if you're still sleeping properly and going outside, claiming that any more than 3 hour of screentime is dangerous and that you're not only putting yourself in harm, but children too is a fucking insane take
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

The problem is NOT the actual screens, it's the addiction to the content of those screens, the actual time spent looking at those screens is irrelevant if you're not neglecting your other activities, you can spend the rest of your day looking at a screen if you want if you're still sleeping properly and going outside, claiming that any more than 3 hour of screentime is dangerous and that you're not only putting yourself in harm, but children too is a fucking insane take
So for you it's 100% ok if you spend 12 hours or more behind your screen every day as long as you're "sleeping properly and going outside"?
Patatitta

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

So for you it's 100% ok if you spend 12 hours or more behind your screen every day as long as you're "sleeping properly and going outside"?
yes, because there is no real harm on the actual act of looking at the screens. As I say, people working in IT can have over 10 hours of screentime daily and they see no real harm, if anything hand injuries.
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Jangsoodlor wrote:

yes, because there is no real harm on the actual act of looking at the screens. As I say, people working in IT can have over 10 hours of screentime daily and they see no real harm, if anything hand injuries.
I clearly listed the consequences of an excessive screen use, children and adults alike, but no you're still saying "there is no real harm in it" and you're bringing back the IT excuse again. Even "the actual act of looking at the screens" can cause risks in the long term if it's every day for much too long, but no instead you're saying that I'm "shifting the discussion" when I mention that

I don't know if you realize what you're saying because it's clearly a dangerous thought, especially if a person who already has physical and/or mental problems thinks like you by saying "as long as I sleep and put my head outside sometimes, I can spend all day behind a screen forever!"
Topic Starter
randomguy13580
:o im i having a yappuchino?
BlueChinchompa
Winnyace
However way you look at it, prolonged exposure to a screen imposes a risk. It can lead to eye related issues, poor posture and a general sedentary lifestyle. It can also lead to other conditions. This depends, however, on a case by case basis of one's mental and physical health, alongside their profession and what that individual does in order to remain healthy. Imposing a general guideline or restriction does not solve the main issue one might have, however.
show more