forum

As a rusty osu!mania player returning to the game, any tips to return to my prime?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shxdowsk8r_osu
I had kinda just left the game aside for a year or so, and as I returned, I fell off a ton. Now, I can only do 3 star maps when in my prime I could do 4 stars. And when I attempted to practice my old maps, I just kept failing. Feels like I'm just trash at the game now. Anyone got tips? Main problem is that I can't read jumpstreams like I initially used to, over a year ago. Is the key to just practice over and over again?
Kaaruumii

Shxdowsk8r_osu wrote:

Is the key to just practice over and over again?
yes, i just came back at least a month and 2 weeks ago after a 1 and a half year hiatus and i am mostly back to where i was except for my consistency and pattern recognition somewhat

just play the fun maps that you can play for now then slowly build back up to where you were (also focusing on improving your weaker skillsets helps a lot)
Stickman92
Its a good opportunity to get rid of any old bad habits. I find coming back with a fresh mindset can help u shoot past your previous prime.

Shxdowsk8r_osu wrote:

And when I attempted to practice my old maps, I just kept failing. Feels like I'm just trash at the game now.
Expecting to match your prime shortly after a 1+ year break, or thinking ur 'trash' at the game only serves to build an unhealthy mindset. Whenever I de-rust, I just accept that I'm rusty and move forward from there, rather than get irritated that I'm bad at the game again.

Shxdowsk8r_osu wrote:

Is the key to just practice over and over again?
I say the key is
Have fun, don't rush and the skill will build back up naturally like the person above. De-rusting tends to go the quickest that way.
Kasen-
It takes time to perform again especially after 1 year+ of not playing mania. Mine took 3 days to adapt with the timing, 1 week to completely able to read the pattern i used to be back at my prime and 2 weeks+ to completely back to my prime in terms of reading, stamina, speed, etc.

But each person differ tho..

Just keep playing consistently and i'm sure you'll be back to your prime. But again, it takes time :)
Wimpy Cursed
Practice the simple patterns first, relearn the fundamentals. You say you can't read jumpstreams? Find single stream maps to get the hang of reading them again. Or, you can take the lower rate approach on jumpstreams.

Currently, I am (trying) to come back to the game, but I am doing that by playing Etterna.
The punishment of getting great or lower is harder than osu!mania, so I use that to learn better consistency. So far, in the past three days, it has been an uptrend. If I want to learn a pattern again, I can always use the rates on Etterna to reduce the speed, to familiarize myself with the "flow" again.
pizzaboy
You can try the reinforcement technique (idk what it's called)

Basically you set a goal for a map and once you reach that goal you give yourself a reward this both motivates you to do better and thus you try harder to do better

I stole this from dog trainers since they give dogs treats so they correlate doing good with treats heck it might even improve the speed at which your neurons make the pathways to playing right or decrease the amount of time it takes for muscle memory to happen
Verdon
When you're practicing, remember to take breaks frequently. Avoid burning yourself out if you want to improve quickly.

Just play whatever maps you think are fun and are at the higher end or slightly above your current skill level, although you might wanna get used to the game again first before trying to push.

Don't become demotivated because you can't play like you were at your peak, you will eventually reach it again and surpass it.