forum

The correlation between Beatmap difficulty and popularity/age

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LintyCarcass
It feels like popular/older Beatmaps are a little harder than less popular/newer ones. Of course this makes sense since the algorithm has less data (unique players) to grade the map effectively. But why does it lean towards giving maps higher ratings than they should, instead of lower ones? Is this just a design choice? I guess it could boost confidence, helping growing players break into new difficulties.

I feel like it varies, some maps have fairer grading than others. It just feels like it tends to skew towards a higher rating. Maybe what constitutes a "difficult map" has changed over the years. After all, this game has been around for quite a while now. Older maps have older records, which might result in harsher ratings in certain aspects. Aspects that might be more difficult for newer players, because the tricks are "out of style" and in less newer maps.

Maybe I'm just not enough of a well rounded player, to see that the ratings are genuinely accurate for the majority of the playerbase. Furthermore, maybe that majority actually is composed of older players, with the same "out of style" skills from older maps.

I'm a fairly new player, this is just my experience over the past year or so. Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone else have any interesting thoughts on the topic?

Footnote: What I mean with skills/tricks is certain patterns/design choices. Like really fast maps (relative to other maps of the same difficulty), or maps with lots of sliders that have weird intervals, or just off-beat tapping in general... etc.
McEndu
First and foremost, the pp system is not based on statistical methods or neural networks

also we have a pretty old map that is very infamous for being extremely overrated

the star rating system currently measures peak density, if anything
Topic Starter
LintyCarcass
@McEndu,

I'm quite surprised by this. I just assumed there would be some kind of algorithm that would dynamically adjust the rating.

I've been reading the ranking criteria a bit and have a better grasp on how the ranking works now.

Are there plans to revise the ranking system?
Or is the current ranking system considered the best fit for this game?
pizzaboy
In the begginings top players played top maps (high difficulty stuff y know) so people were incentivized to make hard maps so people would play them

eventually farm maps started to take over so charters were incentivized to make farm maps which were easier by nature
THE END.

Popular maps are popular because they are either fun to play or hard so that's that I guess

And the ratings are kind of broken (ALTHOUGH BETTER THEN PREVIOUS YEARS) hopefully they shall be fixed in the future but it's really difficult to grasp difficulty although etterna has whats considered to be a better difficulty system and all that
My Angel Marisa
ok lets just agree that the sr system sucks
the sr system just calculates on the notes density mostly, so u can abuse tech patterns to make a map very hard without increasing the sr by a lot (i.e. by abusing longjacks, index streams, etcetc)
back in the days not many ln maps (well atleast in 4k) are getting ranked and the only thing that got ranked was mostly rice
over time ppl found out abt how exaggerated ln release could increase the sr without actually making the map harder, so thats why higher sr maps are getting pushed
fixing the sr is going to take a long time imo esp when mania itself has lots of keymodes so just deal with it