forum

[resolved] [SOLVED] osu! is crashing when i hit alt + tab or windows button

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ashera Tsepeshi
Hello there! I am sadly encountering a technical issue related with osu. During a gameplay or just idling, whenever i hit alt + tab to switch between tabs to download new maps, osu crashes suddenly without an error message. Right after that crash, if i launch the app again, it greets me with the title "Welcome! We are currently updating your osu! - your osu! is up to latest version" and the cycle continues... (Sadly)

Video and screenshot(s) showing the problem: (I failed to find a video upload site so i have choosen YouTube)

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgIOVyBdQbw

Screenshot of "Welcome" message: (It basically says "Welcome, your osu is up to latest version" in Turkish.)

(The thing that does not make any sense for me, it's just osu! can't be updating itself whenever i get that error.)

Screenshot of Event Viewer Log: (My OS is Turkish in default, i am sorry. But I can definitely translate you the Turkish content you will see! Just let me know which points you want me to translate extra!) (In the event log, it basically says,
Application: osu!.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Explanation: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Information: System.AccessViolationException)

And as a last thing, any kind of help is pretty appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions for help, I will give my best to answer your questions! (This is my first post ever in osu! community, sorry if i made any spelling mistakes.)

osu! version: Stable

Pc specs:

Processor: i5 12th gen
GPU: GTX 1650
Ram: Crucial sodimm 8gb DDR4 3200mhz 22cl
Blushing
Where you using a skin before this happened? If so, does this still happen when you use the default skin?

Lets go through them a little bit:

1. Try restarting your computer.
2. Make sure you have no pending updates to your graphics card drivers, OS, and even to osu!
3. Try updating your .net Framework : https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet-framework
Topic Starter
Ashera Tsepeshi
First things first, this issue is repeating itself for over 3-4 months. Before that skin, i do happen to use a different skin than that. when i was using the previous skin, i had never encountered the same problem. When i first installed that skin, it was working fine and nothing ever happened but currently my main skin is that you can see in the video. But after some time, with my current skin, i started to experience this error. Now, i tried to play with default skin and noticed something. When i play with default skin, my overall performance is going down. (much higher ms and lower fps + stutters) But i tried to play with default skin. The result is not changed, but it is really weird that even i completed all your steps, the event log section shows me my framework is still version 4.03. I do not know what to do..

update: there are no pending updates on any drivers currently but still, the application keeps crashing
Blushing
It also looks like you are using discord's overlay onto osu.

Try removing/disabling that and see how it works. Overlays and osu! tend to not mix well.
Topic Starter
Ashera Tsepeshi
Firstly, thank you for the suggestion and for your time, of course. I turned off the discord overlay and happen to find an official tool that claims to repair damaged/corrupted .NET Framework softwares in systems, from the Microsoft's official site. But sadly, I am still encountering that problem.

It may sound ridiculous and funny but when i was deleted Sekiro from my pc, that error never showed up. After some time i reinstalled Sekiro and deleted again, just to test, but the problem still persists...

Back then, I even tried to delete osu! from my pc to reupload again (got my saves) but after some time, even that solution is were not successfull.

But I found something on the event log. To summarize :

I tried to find exactly when i first encountered that .NET failure and the first time that were happened, showed pretty less bug details, almost none (think it as a few codes) but since that day, (i am thinking because i failed fixing) the error log got really huge. I mean, the more we can't fix the issue, the more problems are seem to appear.

I also informed the osu! support team via mail yesterday and happen to wait a solution... (they encouraged to write on the forum too, that's why i am here)

update: As the osu! support team stated in their email, they want me to send another mail regarding this issue (because as they said, they are not responded in 6-24hr). I've sended them the mail and leaved the link of this forum page for their convenience.

update: osu supoort team is not responding and my hopes are vanishing slowly...

UPDATE: To all players who are experiencing this situation despite trying everything (including mem86 + WMD), i am isolated my pc on your behalf to test every service that conflicts with osu! (That means all services are at risk except windows-default services.If you made sure that you have no virus, no memory corruption, no antivirus, sufficent ram, latest versions of all drivers, OS, gears etc. this is the last resort for you). I will keep here updated for everyone's convenience.
Topic Starter
Ashera Tsepeshi
Update: Currently, i just finished the isolation and seems like i solved the issue but let's hope everything will be fixed.

Major Update: I herebly declare that at this point, "SystemAccessViolation" problem is R.I.P.

First of all, as i mentioned above, if you done everything you can, your last option will be isolation. With isolation, I mean "Clean Boot".

It is pretty basic at this point.

1. From the start menu, search for [b]"System Configuration" and click it.

1. After clicking, you will see this screen:

1. After that, click the section named "services" as shown by the red circle.

1. Now, you are seeing all the services, including non-windows, are running in your system that ticked with blue marker.

1. Now, you need to mark the section named "hide all of the microsoft services" shown by the red circle.

1. Now, we are really starting. After you done the last step, you need to click on "deactivate all the services". (BE CAREFULL! DO NOT DEACTIVATE ANY MICROSOFT SERVICE!)

1. With this applied, you need to hit the "apply" shown by the marker.

And that's it! Now after this step, when you close the window your system will warn you to restart your system in order to apply all neccessary changes that you've made. With this, we've achieved the "Clean Boot". Now, when your system restarts, open the "system configuration" page again and open a new notepad. Now, the real challenge begins, you have to go through each service. When you open a service, your system needs to restart again. When your system starts up, note down the service you just opened. And with that services open in the background, make sure it is in the "working" state. (some services comes with "stopped" by nature don't worry) After that, open osu! and trigger the error with either alt + tab or windows button.

You need to try several times for it to work. If you are trying for approximately more than 10 minutes, congrats! that means the service you've choosen is not causing a conflict with osu! and you should keep that service.

And with quarantine, i think you are understanding where i am going to...

You have to test every service just like that.

I found that "NVIDIA Local system container" and "NVIDIA Display container" services are the main causes of "SystemAccessViolation" error.

While this faulty service may vary on system to system, you have to check everything, you shouldn't left anything behind.

It seems like a pretty basic issue but you will get to understand how frustrating is when in the middle of a heat of gameplay, your game crashes suddenly, your score(s) are just getting deleted randomly and you will be logged of from your account, with your settings reverted to factory settings.

In this 3 days of journey, i tried to find a solution for this basic error, now the only way for knowing real is playing a lot. I will be experimenting and updating this page if something will happen.

If you will have any questions, feel free to contact me!