forum

MP3 is high quality, is it too high?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Octostomp
I speked my audio file that I was using for osu! and it was 320 kbps. I've heard that 192 is the recommended amount, and this is a lot higher in quality. Is my map still rankable? For reference, the audio I'm using is RIOT - Overkill and I got the audio from downloading the youtube video's audio with cobalt.tools.
I know, I should have used monstercat gold, but I don't have money.
lewski
Yes, it's too high, so no, the map isn't rankable. 192kbps isn't just a recommendation, it's the highest bitrate that's allowed for MP3 files by the Ranking Criteria.

As a side note, I also kind of doubt the file is actually 320kbps under the hood; a lot of Youtube uploads don't have bitrates like that to begin with. Youtube downloader sites just encode whatever they get at the bitrate you request, which just makes the file bigger without changing the actual audio in any meaningful way.
Topic Starter
Octostomp

lewski wrote:

Yes, it's too high, so no, the map isn't rankable. 192kbps isn't just a recommendation, it's the highest bitrate that's allowed for MP3 files by the Ranking Criteria.

As a side note, I also kind of doubt the file is actually 320kbps under the hood; a lot of Youtube uploads don't have bitrates like that to begin with. Youtube downloader sites just encode whatever they get at the bitrate you request, which just makes the file bigger without changing the actual audio in any meaningful way.
How would I change the audio so it is rankable.
Oh, and forgot the spek:

Edit: I tried a different MP3 and it was 128, which is the floor for rankable. I'll also check other ranked maps of Overkill to see if that audio is viable.
Edit Again: I found a 192 audio source. All good now.
TheKevinFXx

Octostomp wrote:

lewski wrote:

How would I change the audio so it is rankable.
Oh, and forgot the spek:

Edit: I tried a different MP3 and it was 128, which is the floor for rankable. I'll also check other ranked maps of Overkill to see if that audio is viable.
Edit Again: I found a 192 audio source. All good now.

I use the ogg format since it has better quality than an mp3 file
For this we are going to use ffmpeg to convert the file
Here is the command I use

ffmpeg -i "input" -c:a libvorbis -b:a 208k -ar 44100 -map_metadata -1 -map_chapters -1 audio.ogg

1. In the "input" section I place the original audio file.
  2. "c:a libvorbis" is the codec for ogg files
  3. "-b:a 208k" For the bitrate to be constant (in the ranking criteria it says that ogg files can be from 192kbps to 208kbps)
  4. "-ar 44100" To set the song frequency to 44100hz, as it will be compressed to 208kbps will not reach a higher rank
  5. "-map_metadata -1 -map_chapters -1" Removes metadata from the file, inside the game this data will not be visible so it helps the file to take less space.
  6. "audio.ogg" File name plus file extension
Here you can see other ways of compression using audacity