forum

Would using "in-between" difficulties count as unrankable?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
niat0004
(In this post, an "in-between" difficulty refers to a difficulty level that is between two common, clearly defined levels, such as an Advanced being between a Normal and a Hard.)

I was curious about this since it's up to interpretation: Would using two in-between difficulties without the difficulty in between count as skipping difficulties?
For example, say that there is a map with the spread Normal, Advanced, Hyper, and Insane.
This could be interpreted as skipping difficulties since there is no Hard;
but it could also be interpreted as acceptable since there is no gap larger than one difficulty level (the difficulty difference between an Advanced and a Hyper is the same as the gap between a Normal and a Hard).

(Personally, I think spreads like the above should be fine since they follow the intent of the rules, which is to give new players easier difficulties to enjoy.)
McEndu
Advanced and Hyper are deemed widely accepted alternatives not part of the standard difficulty naming scheme, which the RC spread rule is based on. From a pure rankability perspective, the spread would be interpreted as NNHI, NNHI and NHII depending on the difficulty/SR of the mid difficulties; as long as the diffs have their difficulty close to the expected range, this is fine.

I do recommend renaming one of these to "Hard", though.
lewski
if ur gaps arent too big theres no issue

u could argue my ashita no hanatachi is lowkey like that and i had no issues with the spread
[TCD] Dzar03
I think it's fine but I'm not sure. If you map mania, as long as your spread is reasonable, clean then it would be a yes

Osu!mania RC
If the drain time of any difficulty is...
...lower than 2:30, each key mode and playstyle must either include a difficulty at Normal or lower, or provide a proper spread containing at least 4 difficulties.
...between 2:30 and 3:15, each key mode and playstyle must either include a difficulty at Hard or lower, or provide a proper spread containing at least 3 difficulties.
...between 3:15 and 4:00, each key mode and playstyle must either include a difficulty at Insane or lower, or provide a proper spread containing at least 2 difficulties
I chose mania because it's the only gamemode in which RC stated that you can alternatively provide a proper spread which x diff for each drain time