forum

[Archived] Unable to write file, cant make or save changes to beatmaps. *RESOLVED*

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheRealBean__
Problem details: Unable to write file in osu!mapping

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1197746848291635231/1244467392525111407/screenshot001.jpg?ex=66553813&is=6653e693&hm=ea0ad834474962983802e2c6214013202590e4b5f66620fb2982c3f3434ac5c1&

osu! version: stable

Hello everyone, i have recently encountered a prompt that appears whenever i go to save a map. no matter what i do, the map will not write. I have tried running the app as administrator, checking the song folder, checking the notepad...nothing. If anyone has any solution to this issue, please let me know because i cannot save anything or create any new maps. Thank you!
Dakila
Hello, Bean is a friend of mine and I tried to help him fix the issue.

The summary of the problem:

he cant make or save any changes done to his own beatmaps and when editing other's beatmaps, osu! gives an error that goes "Unable to write file"

The osu versions we tried are the latest stable (20240513.1) and latest cutting edge (20240507)

His PC is a laptop running Windows 11

We already tried:

- Running SFC, chkdsk, and DISM
- Seeing if controlled folder access is disabled (it is in fact disabled)
- Reinstalling osu several times
- Restarting his PC
- Repairing osu!
- Checking logs (runtime log only shows info about graphics, its not even able to write logs about saving beatmaps)
- Uninstalling an expired antivirus
- Checking folder permissions and checking the advanced tab to see if his user has full permissions (he does have full perms)
- Turning off read only for the entire osu folder
- Repairing folder permissions in osu itself
- Trying a different branch (we tried cutting edge and no luck)
- Trying different mp3 for the map hes making
- Renaming the said mp3 to not contain special characters or not too long filename
- Checking if he has any parental or school/IT locks (he doesnt)
- Lessening permissions for the users group (since his users might have too many permissions, but still to no avail) (thanks for the suggestion Digitalfear117!)
- TRIMing the drive osu is installed in

But...

He can save and make beatmaps when running osu as admin so it must be a permissions issue but we already diagnosed a lot of the permission issues, even reinstalling osu in a different folder (we tried installing it in a shorter path C:\osu! instead of appdata\local\osu!) to no luck.

Chkdsk returned no problems. sfc found problems initially but was fixed and after running dism and a second sfc scan, sfc returned no problems. And he still has free space on his drive. Other programs can write their files just fine.

It seems to me osu! is having trouble writing files, and it can't write to files when not run as admin. Running osu as admin always doesnt seem like an ideal solution to me. Help for my friend would be highly appreciated!

If anyone needs logs or whatnot please let us know.