forum

[Archived] osu! keeps resetting all my settings and resetting all beatmap star ratings to 0*

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
xxcacadepombo
so basically this has happened several times over the last month or so, all my settings go back to default, all maps revert to 0* and it takes the game a couple of days to calculate all of the star ratings. This has been quite bothersome as I can't find any solutions. I've seen people say it's due to shutting the PC off inappropriately, but even when I make sure to do everything right it just does that again. Also it doesn't happen every time I log in, but every couple days or so.

It also takes a painful amount of time to get all the settings back to normal, which has led to me having to create a copy of the settings file to use whenever it happens. All help is appreciated, thanks.
chromb
this normally happens when the game's database corrupts. from what you've said it already looks like you're aware of not shutting your PC down with the game open. Do you know if you're doing anything differently when you close the game before it happens?
Topic Starter
xxcacadepombo

chromb wrote:

Do you know if you're doing anything differently when you close the game before it happens?
I have been closing the game the same way for years and never had this issue, i only just started being affected by it
[clouds]

Death wrote:

Go to the osu!.pcname.config file, right click on it, hit properties, and set it to read-only. Also, open your options and at the bottom there is a button called "Repair Folder Permissions", might as well give that a press.

You can also try repairing osu! by holding shift while starting the game and clicking "repair osu!"
these files should be located at C:\Users\<pcname>\AppData\Local\osu!
also, the osu!.pcname.config could be "osu!.pcname.cfg" if you don't see it.

if that doesn't work, also try to make sure your osu!.cfg has read-only unchecked.
Topic Starter
xxcacadepombo
I've just done that, thank you. Hopefully it works out
Topic Starter
xxcacadepombo
Update: it didn't actually work, I had the same issue again, but honestly at this point I don't really mind having to use my backup files lol. In any case I'd be glad if someone knew how to deal with this