forum

How to find the best BPM for your map

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
luis237
I would like to know how people find the bpm of their maps. Personally I use Arrow vortex, which calculates the general bpm and the offset, but I would like to know if there is an application or a better way to calculate the bpm, also the Arrow vortex only shows me the different bpm of the song but it does not tell me What parts each one corresponds to. I would like to know if there is a way to know when a map requires other bpm at a specific time
Ladoma
just hear the drum/percussion/bass/background sounds in the song, and you can measure it manually at bpm calculator sites. if you do not get the sound just search sound like metronome-sound like "dum dum dum dum" then measure it at bpm calculator sites.
Jason X
I do manual timing, at the time I learned to do that (2015) I had no idea there were programs for that, and to be fair, most free to use programs at the time weren't exactly good at that either.

For how I do that I'm just gonna quote myself from 2 years ago

Jason X wrote:

Long answer short, I Press T.

Long answer
Single BPM
I find a beat that can be the main Beat, and press T along the music to follow it, I listen and adjust the offset/BPM until the it matches the song perfectly. Then I simply check through the whole map to see if the BPM matches up with the ticks (metronome).
Multi-BPM
Pretty much the same as above, just that I make a new difficulty every time I find a spot that has a significant difference (new BPM point/metronome reset), I place a bookmark (ctrl + B), reset the whole timing and start from my bookmark to press T again to the new beat I find. Rinse and repeat until the song is done.
Variable BPM
This one personally gives me headaches =_=
It's pretty much the same approach for me as with Multi-BPM, just with a lot more timing points and more manually adjusting the BPM and listening closely to adjust them.
BPM Program
Also yes, I do have a BPM program, but I rarely ever use it as it is only capable of giving out single-BPM values (which are easy to do by hand), with multi/variable-BPM songs it gives the overall BPM for the whole song, which is off by miles.
Also even with single-BPM values it sometimes gives out decimal ones that actually turn out to be flat values with a metronome reset (see pishifat's video below on that topic)
In case you wanna try this program, it's MixMeister BPM Analyzer (here's the program), my version might be out of date since I got it back in 2016
(Edited down to keep out stuff that's irrelevant for this thread)

Up to this day I still don't know any other programs to calculate the BPM, other than the one linked in my quote :?
Hope this is a helpful answer regardless.
lewski
regardless of the method you use the secret to success is always just practice and experience

however I'm still gonna leave a quick summary of my method here because it's sort of the opposite of what Jason X posted (both work I just like it when there are options)

1. find the offset
  2. start with a rough guess for the bpm
  3. adjust until it's correct
  4. repeat 1-3 if there are parts where the timing suddenly stops being correct
I place circles and listen to the hitsounds to see if my timing is correct; if it isn't, I move the circles so that they match the song (holding shift lets you unsnap them from the timeline ticks) and adjust timing accordingly (this is especially helpful in parts/songs without a consistent bpm)