forum

[added] AR should be a user preference

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
ILoveCirno
AR < 9 maps are just unplayable for me.
I know there's a mod to adjust difficulty, but increasing AR actually make the map giving me less points, which is a nonsense.
AR should be a user preference, not something taken into account in the map difficulty.
chromb
It already is a user preference, just the mapper's :^)

personally think this would be an odd change, especially considering if something similar were to be added to taiko (custom scroll speeds) it would basically ruin quite a lot of harder maps.
Topic Starter
ILoveCirno
in *every* rhythm game I play this is not part of the map but part of the preferences.
NOT A WEEB
I dunno about having this by default, but I would highly supportive of overhauling the EZ mod on how it affects the AR by letting you pick the AR with EZ. Playing with EZ should be easier, so it’s a little dumb how most of the time it’s actually harder for reading
McEndu
Lazer allows adjustments to AR and other mapper-defined beatmap presentation parameters using the "Difficulty Adjust" mod.
Topic Starter
ILoveCirno

McEndu wrote:

Lazer allows adjustments to AR and other mapper-defined beatmap presentation parameters using the "Difficulty Adjust" mod.
yup, but then your score is halved and not ranked anymore. Even if i raised AR from 7 to 9...
clayton
the very fact of AR not being a player's choice is what gives so much depth to visual/reading difficulty. what you're suggesting is a perfectly fair way to design the game, if it had been done that way from the beginning -- but now, mappers use AR to tune their maps' reading difficulties, and players have another vector of the game to practice and improve at. making this a player preference now would only serve to make players less diverse in their skill sets

and yeah as you have discovered, raising AR doesn't strictly make gameplay more difficult, and vice versa.
MusicRitman

ILoveCirno wrote:

in *every* rhythm game I play this is not part of the map but part of the preferences.
"*every* rhythm game" are usually osu!mania (might have different gameplay gimmicks to it) which has the speed change, or something like Cytus which doesn't really use AR as a way to make maps harder, but the amount of inputs you need. Or they just have a leaderboard purely of the score which goes to 1 million and not further (unless it has a "mod" category to gain higher than that limit).

osu! on the other hand uses a different scoring system and a pp system which should reward players for playing harder maps which include mods that change AR. In my honest opinion, if you can't handle AR lower (or higher) than 9, you just don't have that reading skill and should be growing one instead of asking for the game to be easier. Also it would be an issue for tournaments, which have maps in mappools based on reading skillset.
Blushing
Technically this is added in lazer. If you’d like to propose how Difficulty Adjust should reward for making easier maps harder and harder maps easier then please do so on the GitHub: www.GitHub.com/ppy/osu/discussions

For now, I’m closing as its added.