forum

Why are NikoSek's maps rated a high star rating but it has easy sight-readability

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kylpqr
I have just came back from a long break from osu!mania as I have went to go ahead and tried out osu!standard (which was for about 2-3 months). I have just been playing some harder maps that made me struggle in my peak to go ahead and get back to that peak in osu!mania and well... try to get better. But I have noticed lately, there's this one map creator that I have taken a liking into lately and he/she is called NikoSek. Most of their songs that I can do are 4.9-5.1*. And I can't even get myself a pass in a ranked 4.7* nowadays (A pass for me is usually 97-98% or above).

Examples:
beatmapsets/1070845#mania/2242274
beatmapsets/2111984#mania/4435647
beatmapsets/910959#mania/1904811
I beg the question, why are their maps easier than their star rating?

Sorry that I ask. I don't really dive into community stuff or techniques regarding star ratings or ways to abuse pp
guest10224
Dense chord and long notes make maps overrated in general. Sight-readability has nothing to do with star rating at all.

I actually had the same problem as well after taking a year long break from 4k. Ranked maps nowadays have more complex patterns and high bpm streams, most of the time underrated. My performance in these kinds of maps suffers a lot from taking breaks because of losing hand speed.
Topic Starter
Kylpqr

guest10224 wrote:

Dense chord and long notes make maps overrated in general. Sight-readability has nothing to do with star rating at all.

I actually had the same problem as well after taking a year long break from 4k. Ranked maps nowadays have more complex patterns and high bpm streams, most of the time underrated. My performance in these kinds of maps suffers a lot from taking breaks because of losing hand speed.
Ah I see. So those types of maps just usually use much more basic patterns rather than modern maps right? I can kind of see how cause there is like a map that is hard for me which is a 4.61 map that I can't 98-99% on which is beatmapsets/1996043
Thank you for the reply
guest10224
Long notes pattern can be tricky to get high accuracy on. I think you don't need to care too much about the star rating tho. It is better to identify patterns that you struggle on and find maps that have those patterns for practice.

There are some ranked maps that have really difficult patterns, like beatmapsets/1864902#mania/3835591 beatmapsets/572338#mania/1511757. I think it is nearly impossible to get a good score when you first begin to progress into 4.6 sr. so don't feel bad for not being able to play well on them.