forum

How to click circles?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
misternice
Anyone got a guide on how to "click the circles", as one would call it?

Seriously though, I've been playing quite a lot lately (at least for my standards), and I feel I have improved my reading, finger control, and rhythm sense quite steadily over the past 2 months or so.

However, over the past couple of days my ability to actually click the freakin' circles seems to decrease more and more. I just can't do the simplest of jumps consistently anymore. I shtmiss so much, even when I'm not nervous, and just playing for the fun of it.

I've tried adjusting my pen grip, and my tablet area multiple times but the only thing I really feel comfortable with is my approximately 36x30 area (in Lazer units), which I guess is pretty small (??), and therefore prone to inaccuracy.

I've also tried using a bigger area where I have to rely more on arm movement for aiming, but that's just not for me.

I guess there's not much I can do besides trying out more stuff, and just playing to improve..
DM FOR MUTUAL
About your area size, I can go to about 90mm width while comfortably aiming with basically 0 arm movement. Try moving your hand/arm so you get a full range of side to side wrist and up and down finger movements if you want to try bigger areas.
Topic Starter
misternice

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

About your area size, I can go to about 90mm width while comfortably aiming with basically 0 arm movement. Try moving your hand/arm so you get a full range of side to side wrist and up and down finger movements if you want to try bigger areas.
Are the Lazer units measured in mm? I just tried a width of 90mm, and how in the world can you play like that without using your arm? :D

Also just tried a width of 60mm for an hour, and I have exactly the same problem as with the small area. I think it must be the grip, as it seems I can't move the cursor in a straight line when going diagonally from top-left to bottom-right and vice versa.

I'm basically moving in a slight arc, instead of a straight line, which I can (almost) fix by by holding the pen more vertically, but unfortunately this reduces my accuracy for most other patterns =/
DM FOR MUTUAL

misternice wrote:

I think it must be the grip, as it seems I can't move the cursor in a straight line when going diagonally from top-left to bottom-right and vice versa.

I'm basically moving in a slight arc, instead of a straight line, which I can (almost) fix by by holding the pen more vertically, but unfortunately this reduces my accuracy for most other patterns =/
Not being able to aim in a straight line is completely normal. When you aim, you aim by pivoting your joints, which naturally move in a semi-circular motion, not a straight one. Because of that the most simple way to move is a slight curve, if you try and draw a straight line it's actually a more complicated movement.

A really good example of this is if you watch a replay of someone playing the back and forth jumps in airman, a lot of the time their cursor movement will curve upwards, because they're mostly just bending their wrist back and forth. If they aim in a straight line it's because they use mouse which has relative positioning, and if they make a circular motion I assume it's because they need to move more joints than just their wrist to aim horizontally. When I try playing back and forth jumps that aren't perfectly horizontal or vertical, I tend to aim in a circular motion as well.