forum

[Archived] osu!.db double in size after "lazer star calc" in stable

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
dung eater
Problem details:
After the stable star rating calc:

Much higher osu.db size, much higher RAM usage, run out of memory/crashes with 200k+ maps.

osu used to be fine with 300k+ difficulties, but now it runs out of memory with a bit over 200k.

ram usage for old client with 270k maps calculated ~ 2,4 gb (offline)
ram usage for new client with 220k maps calculated ~2,9 gb (only start game, main menu after a few seconds)

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

e: the smaller one went to 500 466 kb after closing osu

osu! version: current stable/cutting edge/beta vs last year stable client (without new star calc)
tsunyoku
As for RAM usage, the newer calculations simply require more memory than the old ones so I don't have much to say on that - I will try to improve this in the future.

As for the increased database file size, there are a lot more mod combinations for star rating which are handled in the system in comparison to the past and as a result a lot more star ratings are stored to the database file.
Topic Starter
dung eater

tsunyoku wrote:

As for RAM usage, the newer calculations simply require more memory than the old ones so I don't have much to say on that - I will try to improve this in the future.

As for the increased database file size, there are a lot more mod combinations for star rating which are handled in the system in comparison to the past and as a result a lot more star ratings are stored to the database file.
calculations taking more ram isn't really an issue, the issue is stable client loading the whole db into memory and bigger db now limiting amount of maps you can have to about half (or less/more?) what it used to be.
Topic Starter
dung eater
This also causes you to fail to load videos with much lower difficulty counts, probably well under 50k difficulties. This change bricks the game for people with a decent amount of beatmaps if they want to see videos or just bricks the game totally if you have 200k+ difficulties. Previously you could have 350k+ difficulties and play with no problem, or have over ~80k? beatmaps and still see videos. All ranked maps is nearing 150k soon.

Could you add an option to use the old calc or reduce the accuracy of client star ratings? You could probably do with half the precision of a float and still get somewhat accurate 3 significant digit star ratings, so visibly nothing would change (for sub 10 star maps), other than some maps changing places if you sort by sr. (i'm just assuming it's floats at the moment, didn't check)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-precision_floating-point_format

In IEEE 754 parlance, there are 10 bits of significand, but there are 11 bits of significand precision (log10(211) ≈ 3.311 decimal digits, or 4 digits ± slightly less than 5 units in the last place
abraker
You should try posting here: https://github.com/ppy/osu-stable-issues/issues
Provide recordings of RAM usage there