forum

Is this game playable for people with low IQ

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
jimlet
I'm clinically low IQ, basically have down syndrome, but don't look like I have down syndrome. Now I was wondering if it was possible to be decent at Osu! if you have subatomic IQ and if there is anyone else here with sub-80 IQ. Sorry if I sound dumb.

I have tried my best to play this game, but even after months of playing I'm at the same level of a normal IQ person who plays this for no more than a week. So I think for Osu you need to be not stupid or maybe I'm wrong. I feel like my pattern recognition skills are too bad for anything over 2 stars. Thoughts?
Dementedduck
i can name off like 10 pretty high ranked people who i suspect of having lower than 50 so i think u will be fine
Nanofranne
Your 'Intelligence' have nothing to do with how well you perform. It's the matter of perseverance and challenging yourself that moving you forward
sanalika1122
I believe some people born very talented on certain (maybe all) games. Maybe thats why someone is outperforming you-me-her-him even he/she has less play time. And i believe everyone eventually hit the wall sooner or later. It could be true playing tons can solve this but i dont think so.

Im not a good osu player but i think everyone will agree with me here now. Dont play maps that you cant even read one note and getting way too low accuracy. I saw a C ranking on your profile. Imo you should stick to maps that you dont easily play but also not getting crushed too. 50/50 i can say.

Also improving to 4.5* is easy since all of the core fundamentals of the game starting to show after 4.5*+ rating
Happy Satoko
Your playtime is still normal for your rank tbh. I wouldn't have thought anything of it. It might be harder to figure out what you're doing wrong, but you should be able to still improve.
Voidedosu
Chill. I'm pretty sure IQ has very little meaninful bearing on your ability to play this game. Reaction time, rhythm sense, reflexes and stamina are more important and aren't really tied to IQ in the first place, though for all I know that would make it harder to improve those.

Perhaps you'll reach a serious plateau in skill if your mind is too, well, dull to figure that stuff out. But I don't think that'd be the case until you're starting to seriously contend with 6-7* maps. (and by seriously contend I mean looking to make high-acc or good FC plays, not just passing or getting 90-95%.)
DM FOR MUTUAL

Mrekk is prodigious when it comes to osu, but according to this test has a slightly below average IQ. Shimon also landed in the same spot IQ wise, while lifeline and Zoomer landed at above average, but not to the point where they were geniuses or anything. I guess this doesn't disprove your hypothesis but I think it could be evidence against it.

Some people's brains are probably built better than others for playing osu, but I don't think there would be that strong of a correlation between osu ability and IQ.

IQ is a very limited way of measuring your brain's capability after all, your brain could be good at something or bad at something else independently of how good you are at IQ tests.

Btw your improvement isn't even that slow, yeah it doesn't seem like you're gonna be the next osu prodigy but you're at a completely normal rank for your playtime.
xgamer1013

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

Mrekk is prodigious when it comes to osu, but according to this test has a slightly below average IQ. Shimon also landed in the same spot IQ wise, while lifeline and Zoomer landed at above average, but not to the point where they were geniuses or anything. I guess this doesn't disprove your hypothesis but I think it could be evidence against it.

Some people's brains are probably built better than others for playing osu, but I don't think there would be that strong of a correlation between osu ability and IQ.

IQ is a very limited way of measuring your brain's capability after all, your brain could be good at something or bad at something else independently of how good you are at IQ tests.

Btw your improvement isn't even that slow, yeah it doesn't seem like you're gonna be the next osu prodigy but you're at a completely normal rank for your playtime.
i have like 30 Qi more than mrekk
Topic Starter
jimlet

Happy Satoko wrote:

Your playtime is still normal for your rank tbh. I wouldn't have thought anything of it. It might be harder to figure out what you're doing wrong, but you should be able to still improve.
I genuinely thought it was extremely abnormal and bottom of the barrel. At least 70% of my playtime was also just me using one-finger, by mid 3 stars I realized that you actually have to use 2 fingers for this. I would have probably realized this way sooner if I was not so dumb.

DM FOR MUTUAL wrote:

97 IQ, however accurate that test may be or not, is not extremely low. There's a difference between having an extremely low IQ and being slightly below average. I assume that the latter would not hinder your performance by much. Many average IQ individuals achieve great things. You would have to find a very low IQ pro Osu! player to challenge the hypothesis. But you may be right that there is no correlation at all.
Akisu
Bro our playtime is the same by literally 1m difference but rank difference is big but it fine cause ppl improve at different rates
Ymir

Akisu wrote:

Bro our playtime is the same by literally 1m difference but rank difference is big but it fine cause ppl improve at different rates
There is zero point in comparing ranks, enjoy game.
roufou
I can imagine IQ could cause some struggles for getting good at the game, though I'd be surprised if becoming a top player at 70-80 IQ range isn't feasible.

I don't think a low IQ would inhibit someone from being able to playing 5 stars... I think reaching 6-7 stars will be harder, but I have strong doubts that it's not possible.

Though honestly, it's hard to say for sure without having examples or research.

I honestly don't think IQs around that range don't have the capability to become really good, but I could see them being a lot more prone to skill walls, losing motivation, and just struggling in general to improve.
Utsushime

Akisu wrote:

hmmmm, having a 200pp play with less than 150 hours of playtime seems wild to me—more so, considering I still don't have it with double the amount of playtime. Guaranteed, I never played for the pp, but I still made attempts; pretty cool, and good luck.