forum

What are the main things that make modders/bns ignore/skip/avoid a map?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tejmaster
Asking in general, but also in regards to beatmapsets/2110376#osu/4429963. I can't tell if there are some obvious issues that are preventing people from taking a closer look/posting further feedback on it, or if I just haven't spammed it in enough places...
lewski
common general reasons
  1. song choice
  2. they dont like the ideas (or lack thereof) in the map
  3. the map is too bad to be useful for what they're trying to do (very common with bns and prospective bn applicants)
  4. the modder is new and the map is too good for them to come up with anything to say
Jason X
Bit of a longer reply, so in a box it goes.
My experience is mostly with mod requests to regular modders (non-BNs) and my own experience as a modder.
So here's what I got:

A big red flag I've found (and partially applied myself as modder) is the map not being finished.
Sure, one can still ask for feedback on what's already there, but if one asks for a full mod on an unfinished map they often get a reply among the lines of "please finish the map first", get their request denied, or [1]get ignored completely.

Not being finished can include (but is not limited to):
- The map literally not being done (let's say less than 60% mapped).
- No metadata (Artist/Title)
- No background being present. (rarely though)
- Required amount of dicciulties not present in the beatmap set.

If the map is not done, it's often better to ask the modder directly (if they're onnline), if they could take a look, instead of making a mod request.
Just like "Hey, got a moment to look at a pattern? I don't know if it's good or not."

- - - - - - - - - -

Another red flag that quickly leads to being ignored, is to ignore their "availability".
Often they have their availability, status, or even modding queue linked on their userpage, and if it says they're not available ("closed" in case of modding queues/requests), one shouldn't "poke the bear"[3], cause the resulting answer is pretty obvious, a deny of your request.
(Doesn't have to be, but very often the case)

Here again like in the above point, one can ask if they could take a quick look at something, but don't expect them to spend more time than they have to.

- - - - - - - - - -

Having demanding/unrealistic expectations (Regarding BNs)
I've seen it quite often already, that especially "new mappers" come and have expectations of their map being ranked instantly, and lets face it, that's not gonna happen.
If you look far enough in the Mapping Discussion forum you can find threads that highlight literally this, they're expectations being unreasonable, given certain points. (listed individually)

- Being "too new"
STD/CATCH: If someone goes asking for their map to be ranked, while only having been signed up to osu for a few months, that doesn't work out.
There is no real equivelant to osu/ctb out there, so new players should take their time before they starting making maps, and plan to get them ranked right away.
TAIKO/MANIA: If it comes to Taiko/Mania that's a different story, since there are tons of Mania style games, and Taiko has had their own game series (called Taiko no Tatsujin) long before osu added it as a gamemode (in 2009 I believe), so new players being experienced with those isn't exactly uncommon.

- Polishing/Modding
A map with zero mods from a new mapper is almost always ignored by BNs.
Withouth a map being modded, the mapper can't really know if the map works or is up to standard, and especially new mappers don't know what quality standards apply.

- "Shitting out maps"
Don't get me wrong, if one can manage to make a lot of maps in a short amount of time, that's great, but, (and I'm talking from experience here) they often tend to be poor quality, especially if they receive no modding.
If a mapper just keeps making maps without ever asking for feedback in any way, they essentially map to their own standards, which can be wrong.
As they say "Old habits die hard", so if a mapper has made the same mistake over and over again, it will be stuck in their memory.

- - - - - - - - - -

Not accapting reality/feedback
If someone gets told over and over again that something is bad, then indeed, it likely is.
If the mapper doesn't accept the feedback/outright refuses to aknowledge their mistakes in the map, it is very bad.
One shouldn't ask for feedback if one throws it out the window anyway.
Here a little story (real) regarding this one
We did have such a case here in the Mapping Discussion forum last year. (regulars will possibly know who I mean)
Mapper had only been signed up to osu for less than 2 months at that point ("too new"), yet claimed to have been making maps offline for over 5 years ("old habbits"/missing any form of feedback) and refused to aknowledge any given feedback.

The mapper complained about not getting any replies from BNs (see the above points), mapper got told to ask for mods.
Uppon receiving a single mod the mapper than exclaimed that the modding system is toxic / the modders are toxic, just because the modder outright told him that something in his map doesn't work out.
Multiple people checked the mod and found it was very reasonable, the mapper just refused to aknowledge the negative "this doesn't work, it should be changed" feedback as helpful and saw it as the modder being toxic.
The user had multiple threads in this forum, and got feedback and advice, yet decided to ignore it.

In the end the user did try to accept the feedback, but ultimately quit because his goals/expectations were still too unrealistic.
This behavior (ignoring feedback/advice) can quickly lead to one being avoided or being outright ignored.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also to link up with lewski's point of "song choice": Background choice
Some people for example don't like anime, or certain types of backgrounds.
The preferences are often listed in the modding queues though, so have ann eye open for that.
sisig

lewski wrote:

common general reasons
  1. song choice
  2. they dont like the ideas (or lack thereof) in the map
  3. the map is too bad to be useful for what they're trying to do (very common with bns and prospective bn applicants)
  4. the modder is new and the map is too good for them to come up with anything to say
can probably sum it up as
they dont like the map (who would want to spend their time on something they dont like?)
they dont like you/r mapping (who would want to spent their time for someone they dont like?)
PentagonGlxy
Also based on their genre taste or they dont like the song, just read their song preferences so you will find out.
MrMcMikey22
yrah i remember that

Jason X wrote:

Bit of a longer reply, so in a box it goes.
My experience is mostly with mod requests to regular modders (non-BNs) and my own experience as a modder.

Here a little story (real) regarding this one
We did have such a case here in the Mapping Discussion forum last year. (regulars will possibly know who I mean)
Mapper had only been signed up to osu for less than 2 months at that point ("too new"), yet claimed to have been making maps offline for over 5 years ("old habbits"/missing any form of feedback) and refused to aknowledge any given feedback.

The mapper complained about not getting any replies from BNs (see the above points), mapper got told to ask for mods.
Uppon receiving a single mod the mapper than exclaimed that the modding system is toxic / the modders are toxic, just because the modder outright told him that something in his map doesn't work out.
Multiple people checked the mod and found it was very reasonable, the mapper just refused to aknowledge the negative "this doesn't work, it should be changed" feedback as helpful and saw it as the modder being toxic.
The user had multiple threads in this forum, and got feedback and advice, yet decided to ignore it.

In the end the user did try to accept the feedback, but ultimately quit because his goals/expectations were still too unrealistic.

This behavior (ignoring feedback/advice) can quickly lead to one being avoided or being outright ignored.
Yeah I remember that dude...
Castagne
There is also the issue that there is an overload of maps to mod and very few people actually modding. (both bns and regular users) Having your map ignored does not necessarily mean it's bad (a bad map is easy to mod) but it's more that people don't think that the map stands out among other maps.
foss
Ye I remember reading some statistics that were compiled that underscored the exponential growth of new maps & mappers over the years which forms a gnarly divergence from the amount of modders and bns.