forum

How to convert % of hitsound volumes to dB?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-infinite-
Hi,

So here is a question that I have wondered for a long time: is there any formula to convert the percentage (%) of hitsound volume (in the timing panel) to dB? e.g. assuming 100% is 0dB, then 75% is probably -4dB, 50% is -8dB, etc.

why I want to know this (except curiosity): let's say I have completed hitsounding a map, and the volume range is 25%~50%. I want to scale it so that the maximum volume becomes 100% (so hitnormals or samples from players' skin don't become too quiet). To achieve this, how many dB shall I subtract from the custom sample files I'm using? And how should I adjust volumes of other sections to make sure their relative intensity is kept?
lewski
the best solution to your hypothetical scenario is to just avoid putting yourself in such a weird situation in the first place by using samples with volumes that let you use sensible volume settings from the start

as for the actual question, the best answer I have is this
Topic Starter
-infinite-
Hi! Thanks for the info.

lewski wrote:

as for the actual question, the best answer I have is this
from the formula on the website, I think it assumes that the power of sound is proportional to the % value. I don't know if that's what osu! internally using, but if so it would be very suboptimal because the human sensation of loudness is logarithmic. Also in that case the volume difference between 5% and 100% would be merely 13dB, which I doubt about.

maybe one day I'll try to physically measure it (if I have the motivation), though I'm not sure how accurate it would be (I don't have any professional devices)
lewski
i guess one thing u could do is to try and find the actual volume code in lazer and work out the details from there