forum

[Archived] Guaranteed Crash/Infinite load on beatmaps with videos

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pilgrimm
Problem details: This recently just started happening to me in the last couple of months, where a beatmap with a video will either load infinitely or hard crash the game (most of the time it will hard crash). Oddly sometimes the first map with a video will work only for the 2nd map to crash the game, but this isn't always the case. I think I narrowed it down to the issue being caused due to the massive amount of beatmaps in my folder but other than turning off videos I can't find a fix and I would rather play with the videos on if possible (it's why I downloaded them in the first place). Wondering if anyone else ran into this situation and was able to solve it. I saw an archived post but it had no solution. Drivers are updated and issue does not occur when I have far fewer beatmaps, SSD is not out of space either as I have 75GB free.

osu! version: Stable 20240123 (latest)
Blushing
Have you tried using compatibility mode? Does this issue happen if you are using the default skin?
Topic Starter
Pilgrimm

Blushing wrote:

Have you tried using compatibility mode? Does this issue happen if you are using the default skin?
I was using the default skin, so skin isn't an issue. However it seems that compatibility mode might be a fix. I've gone through 3 songs no problem, I'll keep at it and see if it appears to be a permanent fix. I never thought of this though, since the rest of the game runs fine (no fps troubles or what-not).

Thanks!
dung eater
It might be because of memory usage or something else related to having a lot of maps (big database) can make videos fail to load. If it started happening after the new star rating calc was added, that might be making the db files bigger and making it worse (a bit unsure about this one).

100k+ or 200k+ difficulties (osu takes 2-3gb memory and more) almost no videos load at all.

As a "fix" you can create a videos only songs folder for playing only with videos, then create another osu! folder that uses that videos only map folder.

slow script, if you made it in python it would probably be a lot faster
community/forums/topics/1678114?n=1

EDIT: I think i've confirmed the lazer star rating calc for stable has issues, this is database size differences:

the new database takes 2x more space, for no reason/bug?