forum

March Marathon Madness Challenge (Challenge defunct)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Thank you for coming to my Osu Challenge!

I, like many of you, am interested in the various tournaments hosted by the community, and would love to join one myself. However, due to work and other life commitments I cannot guarantee that I will have a specific weekend or specific dates off to participate in or host a tournament. So, I opted to start my own series of themed challenges meant to be held over the entire month as opposed to a single day or weekend, broken up into 2-day rounds and an end-of-month free period to fix previous scores or fill in ones you missed. If this is something you're interested in, or fits more neatly into your schedule than other tourneys, you're welcome to join in! It's open to all ranks from 3M+ to #1.

This month's focus is on playing for the long haul; aka, marathon maps! Think you have the endurance to play for 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 20? Maybe even a whole hour? If you're up for the challenge, come and join in!

Other notable links:
Penalty mark sheet with descriptions (plus eventual link archive of previous challenges)
Artist's Spotlight polls: #3, #4
Beatmap suggestion thread:

Sign-up Rules and Brackets
- The ranges for each bracket of play (in rankings and SR) are as follows:
  1. 900K+ (1.3-1.8*)
  2. 899-700K (1.8-2.3*)
  3. 699-500K (2.3-2.8*)
  4. 499-300K (2.8-3.3*)
  5. 299-200K (3.3-3.8*)
  6. 199-150K (3.8-4.3*)
  7. 149K-100K (4.3-4.8*)
  8. 99K-50K (4.8-5.3*)
  9. 50K-10K (5.3-5.8*)
  10. <10K (5.8*+)

-The first phase of sign-ups is the "Joining" phase
- Joining is simple. Merely post "/in" or anything that looks like you want to join in. I would prefer /in to avoid ambiguity, though.
- All who post will be checked by the end of sign-ups for your range (and obviously when I'm putting you in your brackets).
- The second phase of sign-ups is called the "lock-in" phase. At that point, even if you get enough pp to advance to a new bracket (eg. at 501K, you get enough to jump to 497K) you will still be locked into the bracket you originally were signed up for. However, advancements before that point will be accounted for and you will be moved to the proper bracket.
-Players who sign up during this lock-in phase will also be subject to said lock-in as well.
- The third and final phase will be the confirmation phase. All players who have signed up and will sign up later will be given a couple questions via DM to answer regarding various rules and such. These questions should be responded to via DM, and can be answered at any point until the start of the challenge. Players who do not answer all questions correctly WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE. However, you are free to correct wrong answers until the the challenge begins.
-Any bracket that has one or zero participants will be removed.
--If a bracket has only one player, they will be given a one-time option to jump down to a lower bracket (eg. a single 499-300K player may jump to the 299-200K bracket). If this option is not taken, you will be removed alongside the bracket.
--If this option is taken, this will be waived if and ONLY if a lower-bracket single player decides to jump into your bracket to make it a 2-person (and thus viable) bracket. If nobody opts to take the advancement (or will otherwise be affected by it before you), your own advancement will take place.
Examples
Example 1: Player 1 is the only one in the 500-699K bracket and opts to take the advancement to the 300-499K bracket. Player 2 is also the only one in the 700-899K bracket but does not take the advancement. Player 2 will be removed with their bracket while Player 1 will advance.
Example 2: Player 1 is the only one in the 500-699K bracket and opts to take the advancement to the 300-499K bracket. Player 2 is also the only one in the 700-899K bracket and also takes the advancement. Player 3 is also the only one in the 900K+ bracket but does not take the advancement. Player 2 will advance as they were still in a single-person bracket, but Player 1 will not because Player 2 has moved up to join them.
Example 3: Same scenario as Example 2 except the 900K+ does take the advancement. Player 2 will remain in their bracket since Player 3 advanced, while Player 1 will be moved up to the 300-499K bracket

-The lock-in phase will begin at 00:00 on Feburary 25th, 2024.
Your sign-up questions will be sent out on February 27th, 2024.
Sign-ups officially end at 23:59 on February 28th, 2024. Anyone who asks after this day will not be added.

Competition Rules
-There will be 8 maps for each bracket, with each map getting three days each to play.
--4 Maps will be within your designated SR spread for each bracket.
--1 Map will be .2-.3* harder than your spread.
--1 map will be .2-.3* easier than your spread.
--2 map will be 1-1.5* easier than your spread.
-Furthermore, per the theme of this month's challenge, all maps will be over 5 minutes long (based on filtering by length>=300 in-game).
--5 maps will be between 5 and 9:59 minutes long.
--1 map will be between 10 and 19:59 minutes long.
--1 map will be between 20 and 29:59 minutes long.
--1 map will be 30 minutes or longer.
---If I cannot find a map of any length within about .5-1* of your bracket's maximum SR range, that map's slot will be given to the next lowest length range. E.g. if your bracket has no 30+ minute maps, you will have 2 20-29:59 minute maps.
-For each map, players will have three days to submit scores for the map. Once that three-day period is up, you will be unable to submit another score for that map until the final days of the challenge. However, as stated in the sign-in rules above, you may submit as many scores as you like within that three-day period for that map.
-After Round 8, the final days of the month will be a free submission period, where you may submit scores for all the maps in your bracket as a final chance to upgrade your scores. Once the final day of the challenge is over, no more submissions will be accepted.
-You may use any mod except the following combinations:
--V2 (as this doesn't submit scores to the website meaning I can't trawl for them myself if I have to.)
--NFDT D-rank (to ensure that all players at least attempt to try for a score.
--Any auto-play mod (Relax, auto, autopilot)
---While score-reducing mods like HT, EZ and NF are allowed, be aware that they will be a detriment if it comes down to score tiebreaks.
-IF YOU ARE PLAYING ON OSU!LAZER, YOUR SCORE MULTIPLIER FOR ANY MOd COMBINATION YOU USE MUST MATCH THE SCORE MULTIPLIER ON STABLE (to the hundrenths place). I will give playing with Lazer and Stable a shot, but if Lazer scores prove to be incompatible with stable scores, I may very well make this stable-only.
- Scores must be submitted or dated from during the round of that particular map or during the free period at the end. That does mean you will need to re-do your score if you had one submitted previously.
--This dating is based on the website-side timestamps for your scores, as those are based either on UTC or are converted from UTC to my timezone (US Central) instead of each player's own local timezones.
- There is no limit to the number of scores you may submit per round, so long as it is submitted within the time-frame of the challenge and the specific round for each map. Submit one-and-dones, or replay your maps every day until you get the best score you can, whatever works for you.
- A link to your score page on the website is required in a companion thread that will be made on the day the challenge starts. Pictures are optional but encouraged, or required if you get scorev1'd. It is also on you to ensure your links work and are updated. I can and will trawl for scores if absolutely necessary or if something janky happens, and if I find a broken link I will try to point it out, but I will not be doing so regularly.
- Players must submit scores for at least two maps by the end of the first four rounds, and for at least five maps before the open submission period. Players who fail to do so will be automatically DQ'd and may not re-enter. Repeat offenders will be barred from participating in future challenges. If you find out you can no longer participate or don't want to, please just let me know instead of ghosting. I have no problem with you requesting to leave at any time. If you wish to see if you are affected by this, please see the penalties sheet.
- Points will be distributed based on the number of players in each bracket minus one per 5 people. I.e. if there are less than 5, all participants will get points (1st gets 4, 2nd 3, etc.), while if there are 5 then four will get points while last place will get none (if there's 5 players, 1st will get 4, 2nd 3, and so on while 5th will get none. If there's 10 players, 1st will get 8, 2nd 7, 3rd 6, and so on while 9th and 10th get none.)
- If a player FC's a map (Full combo, no dropped slider-ends; your combo should be green on the scores page), they will be given two bonus points.
- If a player FCs a map with at least 98% accuracy, they will be given three bonus points.
- If a player SS's a map, they will be given five bonus points.
---Do note that these do not stack; you can only earn up to five bonus points for the SS.
- The winner of each round (and any potential tiebreaks) will be determined as follows, from top priority to lowest: Accuracy->score->timestamp.
Tiebreak examples
--Example 1: Player A has a play with 93% acc., while Player B has 95%. In this scenario, Player B would win the map.
--Example 2: Player A and Player B both have 97% acc, but Player A has 8.5M points while Player B has 7.8M points. In this scenario, Player A would win the map.
--Example 3: Player A and Player B both SS the map, but Player B has 1,100 more points due to a faster spinner. In this scenario Player B would win.
--Example 4: Player A and Player B both SS the map and either have the same spinner points or the map has no spinner. However, Player A submitted their play one day before Player B. In this scenario, Player A would win.
- The player from each bracket with the most points wins. If two or more players are tied, the player who has the most round wins will be the winner.

Prizes
- The winner of each bracket will earn 1 month's Osu!Supporter from me.
- If a player FC's all maps in their bracket, I will give them an extra 2 month's supporter.
- If a player SS's all their songs in their bracket, I will give them an extra 4 months Supporter on top of the 1 month for winning.
- Others are more than welcome to offer their own rewards to players if they so choose. However, if you are participating you may not offer a reward of any kind for the challenge. If there is enough support for it I may allow for rewards on brackets outside your own, but that remains to be seen.

I think I caught every change necessary for going from 10 rounds to 8, but please let me know if you find an inconsistency/mistake.

also, I AM ALLOWING LAZER PLAYERS TO JOIN IN. However, I am unsure how to ensure that Lazer players are going to be on the same playing field as Stable players as far as score multipliers, and that's not even mentioning whether or not the scoring calculation is remotely close enough to Stable's for the scores to be comparable. I am, however, willing to give it a try to see how it works. If it is impossible for Lazer and Stable scores to be competitive with each other, or if proving that scores with the same mod combos have the same score multiplier is going to be impossible even if I had Lazer myself, I will likely not allow Lazer in future challenges. Ideally a non-spinner map NM would give the same score on Stable as Lazer, or there would be some kind of conversion tool I could use to compare between the two versions.
his everything
I CAN FINALLY SHOW MY TRUE SKILLS THROUGH MARATHON MAPS HAHAHAHAHAHA

/in
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
The lock-in phase has begun. Also, the spreadsheet link has been added.

Please don't forget to vote in the artist polls, even if you don't join in! The more people who participate in what artist(s) will have a month for themselves, the better.
meepzy
IM IN BUT CAN I USE HT IF ITS TOO HARD?
Topic Starter
Voidedosu

meepzy wrote:

IM IN BUT CAN I USE HT IF ITS TOO HARD?
As stated in the rules, HT is a viable mod to use. Although, your maximum possible SR in the bracket is 2.6*, so I would think/hope that shouldn't be too much of a problem NM.
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Sign-ups are officially over. Everyone who signed up has until the end of today to correctly answer their confirmation questions. Remember that all four questions must be correct to move on.

edit: Round 1 has officially begun and will end at 23:59 on March 3rd.
his everything
waiting for a moderator to pin this
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 1 is over. Round 2 has begun and will end at 23:59 on March 6th.
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 2 is over. Round 3 has begun and will end at 23:59 on March 9th.

The following players must submit a score this round or be auto-dq'd:
Anaxii
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 3 is over. Round 4 has begun and will end at 23:59 on March 12th.

The following players are auto-dq'd due to lack of submissions:
Anaxii
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 4 is over. Round 5 has begun and will end at 23:59 on March 15th.
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 5 is over. Round 6 has begun and will end at 23:59 on March 18th.

The following players must submit in this round or be auto-dq'd:
XContent
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
As XContent has not submitted a score this round, he has been auto-dq'd. As that leaves the 99-50k bracket as a single-player bracket, and it is the only viable bracket that remained, it has been rendered defunct and thus the challenge is over.

If Nakomi is willing to try, I will give them the rest of March to achieve either all FCs or all SS to get the bonus supporter rewards for those.

In any case, that's unfortunate. I'm sure I had something to do with losing this month's challenge, but I haven't really had anyone say anything so idk. Guess we'll just have to wait for April to get another one going.
Wimpy Cursed
damn