forum

[resolved] I think the Lazer score merge may have given me too much PP

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CSonan
Problem details:
I've been playing on Lazer for several months, and accordingly, I've set some scores there that are significantly better than my best scores on Stable. This iscludes 105PP on Guinea Pig Bridge (Expert) and 110PP on Totsugeki Zenya no Dance (Insane) beatmapsets/342030#osu/787587

Overall, my PP count was 1600-something on Lazer, and 1400 or 1500 on Stable (I don't quite remember, it's been 3 months since I last opened it)

Now, with the score merge that happened today, I got a PP count of over 1600 both with and without Lazer mode. So it looks like, while my old Lazer plays don't appear on the website as expected, they somehow still provide their PP. (To be more specific, they don't appear in the top play list. They are in the recently played list and all show their PP as currently being calculated)

I then played for about an hour today, and set a few decent scores, including 98PP on Guinea Pig Bridge. This counted towards my PP as if I had never played the map before, which was only the case on Stable. So it looks like I now have two scores on this map and several other ones that somehow both provide PP.

I'm a bit lost as to what all of this might mean. As I see it, there are three options.
- scores/PP were adjusted, and my Stable plays are now worth more and, by chance, came out to the value I had on Lazer.
- during the merge, my Lazer PP value was applied instead of the stable one, and instead of recalculating it, each new play I set adds however many points it's supposed to go up by to the wrong value
- somehow my old Lazer plays survived in the database and are continuing to give PP, even though they're not listed on the website.

Has anybody seen something similar happening, or has an idea what might be going on here?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
I didn't have a reason to screenshot anything before the merge. For the post-merge situation, you can look at my profile and see the plays. (As well as the rank increase that comes with gaining over 200PP in a day)

osu! version: Lazer 2024.130.2

UPDATE: "sometimes" on the Osu! Discord told me it's probably bonus PP being applied to my account, because they require fewer plays now. So it looks like the value is correct, and it's just a weird coincidence that the amount I got almost exactly matches the difference between my old Stable and Lazer PP values.
Blushing
Lazer pp conversion was known to give either higher or lower rates of PP. With the website being on the lazer server it is possible that youve gotten a higher amount of PP.

This mixed with the fact that being at 500k and getting a top score (your 98PP) will definitely increase your rank a lot. Don't fret, it is just the new pp engine.
Topic Starter
CSonan
Thanks for confirming this!

I've gone through the numbers and added up the PP of all my plays, and when considering Bonus PP, it lines up almost perfectly with the value I'm at. So like you said, it's just the new engine.
It's really nice to get a boost like this though! :-)

Is there a way I can move this thread to the resolved ones, or is that not necessary?
MusicRitman

CSonan wrote:

Thanks for confirming this!

I've gone through the numbers and added up the PP of all my plays, and when considering Bonus PP, it lines up almost perfectly with the value I'm at. So like you said, it's just the new engine.
It's really nice to get a boost like this though! :-)

Is there a way I can move this thread to the resolved ones, or is that not necessary?
It will be moved either by a mod, or automatically after some time passes.