forum

[Archived] ms spike up when starting a map

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TargetSK
Problem details:
Hi, sometimes when I start a map my ms (which is normally in 0.3 - 0.5ms range) shoots up to 10+ms but when I alt-tab away from osu! and alt-tab back it goes back to normal. This happens randomly it can happen multiple times in a row or I can go 30 minutes without it happening.

Things I already tired:
  1. Optimize ingame settings
  2. Disabling fullscreen optimization
  3. Move osu! to a different disk
  4. Move only Songs folder to a different disk
  5. Change input devices
  6. Turn off applications and background services not used by Windows and osu!
Specs/Additional info:
PC:
  1. CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
  2. GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 (4GB)
  3. RAM: 16 GB
  4. Storage: ssd
  1. Wacom CTL-472
  2. Open Tablet Drivers with Devocub filters plugin installed
My guess is that its either a bug in osu! code or a Windows thing

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
https://outplayed.tv/media/aYrrDO
(if the link doesn't work tell me!)

osu! version: Stable 20240123 (latest)
JaneStickzz
that's odd but not too odd. it happened to me for at least one or twice like a week ago even after the update. how long since that issue started? my best guess is most likely a bug on the game. if it's been an issue for quite a long time now, that's concerning
Topic Starter
TargetSK
I've been having this problem for about 2 months now. I haven't posted about it sooner because its more annoying than anything, it doesn't hinder my ability to play the game
Death
Does this still happen when using the default skin?
Topic Starter
TargetSK
It does. Another thing that could be useful is that I asked few people if they ever seen this elsewhere, I found two people, one is still having the same problem the second one got a new pc and the problem went away so it might not be that uncommon

EDIT: I might have found the culprit and its wallpaper engine I am 80% sure I will continue to test for few more sessions I'll update when I'm sure

EDIT 2: After more testing I'm pretty sure its PreMid not Wallpaper engine causing the problem.