forum

Vain v1.1

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
zakaria111

Vain is an Osu! standard skin inspired by popular "HDDT" skins.
The main focus of Vain is gameplay quality and simplicity.

Two color themes are available: Cyan cursor & Red elements | Yellow cursor & Magenta elements
Each color theme has three versions: "Vain-X-1", "Vain-X-2" and "Vain-X-3"
The numbers at the end of each version indicate the thickness/size of certain elements like: approachcircle, hitcircle, hitcircle numbers, followpoints, etc.
Each skin version is ~1.3 megabytes when uncompressed. If you are using a small resolution (x, y<800), download the @1x version.

Things I learnt while making this skin
  1. It's possible to make a 2 pixel wide songselect-bottom@2x. The game will stretch it out to fill the width of the screen/res. This is very useful for saving disk space.
  2. sliderb@2x disappears instantly after completion of the slider while sliderfollowcircle@2x stays a couple milliseconds after. It is better to merge sliderfollowcircle@2x into sliderb@2x for better gameplay.
  3. It is better to make opaque followpoints because it prevents the "overlapping" look most followpoints have. Also don't forget to test followpoints with the smallest circle size possible.
  4. For HDDT skins, it is better to use hitcircle@2x instead of hitcircleoverlay@2x because you can easily add combo colours to hitcircle@2x using the skin.ini or by allowing beatmap colors.
  5. .ogg uses less disk space than .wav.
  6. Bulk Rename Utility is a must have when making skins, it will save you a lot of time, especially with animations.
  7. xconvert.com is super useful for audio/image conversion and compression.
  8. For bulk image resizing (@2x -> @1x), I used ImageMagick's mogrify command: "magick mogrify -resize 50% -quality 100% *@2x.png". Make sure to not rewrite your @2x folder, create a copy folder first.
  9. If you use photoshop, use the "quick export as png" option whenever possible for automatic cropping of useless empty pixels. This saves a lot of disk space. Also always backup your .psd file.
  10. Useful map for testing skin elements: Swift's Skin Testing v2
  11. It is possible to put combo numbers, hitcircle numbers and score numbers in and organised folder and link their directory in the fonts section of the skin.ini file. This is good for organisation purposes.
  12. bigjpg.com is useful for AI image enlargement
Credits
Some sound effects were sourced/modified from the official osu! github in accordance with the licence CC-BY-NC 4.0.
All credit to peppy and the osu! dev team. <3
Changelog
  1. 17 January 2024 (v1.0):
    - Realease.
  2. 17 February 2024 (v1.1):
    - Added "sliderendmiss" and "slidertickmiss" for Osu! Lazer.
    - Reorganised skin folder structure for more user-friendliness. (Including the Extra folder)
    - Removed some useless files
    - Updated all download links.
    - Added a simple showcase video

Enjoy!
D3NPA
TY <3

BTW only 884kb Uncompressed :D
(probably you can bruteforce PNGs to be even smaller with more zopfli iterations)

click
Topic Starter
zakaria111

D3NPA wrote:

TY <3

BTW only 884kb Uncompressed :D
(probably you can bruteforce PNGs to be even smaller with more zopfli iterations)

click
I am glad you enjoy the skin <3
Also that's very impressive how you got it down to 884kb without losing quality, i'll have to look into it and learn how to do this aswell. Thank you for the advice. :)
[HTP]Podrick
This actually helped me get into osu!standard and read the notes thank you so much!
Topic Starter
zakaria111

[HTP]Podrick wrote:

This actually helped me get into osu!standard and read the notes thank you so much!
Happy to hear that, enjoy! ♡
BABYLAAAMP
This skin is so good, I'm noob and I want skin to help with performance and visibility, I'm new to the game and this skin helps so much.
Topic Starter
zakaria111

BABYLAAAMP wrote:

This skin is so good, I'm noob and I want skin to help with performance and visibility, I'm new to the game and this skin helps so much.
Thank you <3