forum

[Proposal - Metadata] Normalization of where featuring artist should be

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
h3oCharles
not to be confused with the featured artist program, which is where you can download beatmap templates

this is about artist names that appear with "feat." before them. It's placement is inconsistent, it's either in the title field as "Title (feat. Artist)", or in the artist field as "Artist feat. Artist". How about normalizing this to be "Artist feat. Artist" in the artist field?

so this
Feint - Snake Eyes (feat. CoMa)
would become
Feint feat. CoMa - Snake Eyes

IMO this makes the title field cleaner and gives space for markers, avoiding titles having two or more things in brackets (unless it's part of the title) <-- but this is all subjective

not going to write an exact RC proposal cuz im bad at wording

this entire thing might just be a music industry problem
SilentWuffer
+1
Ryu Sei
Any form of feat., feat, ft., etc. must be written as feat. when used as an indicator for an artist featured in the song, and the artist's name featured in the song is moved to the artist field. Remove any artist feature markers present in the song title. Alternative casing may be used to match the rest of the field.

The wording can be better, but I agree with this. The problem might rise when there is a non-standard featuring artist markers in the metadata, but this should be good for general case.
-Flashlight-
since we're at it we should probably do the same for "with", "w/", "part.", etc. and also we should standardize usage of parenthesis or not
I AM VERY SMART
i personally more want something like this

Snake Eyes by Feint (feat. CoMa)

it looks more aesthetic and we can see the music titlefirst while still see the featurings
lewski

Anaxii wrote:

i personally more want something like this

Snake Eyes by Feint (feat. CoMa)

it looks more aesthetic and we can see the music titlefirst while still see the featurings
this is completely irrelevant to the proposal

mappers just set the artist and title, we have no control over how the game and website display them
Topic Starter
h3oCharles

-Flashlight- wrote:

since we're at it we should probably do the same for "with", "w/", "part.", etc. [...]
can you give me song examples with those?
Okoratu
i think the current way of flexibly handling this is fine because as you said it might just be a music industry problem