forum

[CLOSED] ✨ Anaxii's honest anime review thread ✨

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART
The thread is simple: You give me an anime to watch, I will watch it and make a detailed review!

1. It can be any anime genres without restrictions
    (Just don't give me only NSFW for the sake of giving NSFW... please.)

2. Don't recommend me animes that take too long to watch like One Piece or Doraemon

3. Only one anime recommendation per post
    (To avoid people giving me an endless list of anime to watch)

4. Let's assume I have no particular preference for one genre or another!

QUEUE (CLOSED)

1. Kaguya-sama: Love is War (S1) // Pillowey [X/12] WATCHING
2. Planetarian // Nanofranne [0/5]
3. The Tatami Galaxy // Patatitta [0/11]
4. Code Geass // [TCD] Dzar03 [0/25]
5. Hibike! Euphonium (S1) // Neigdoig [0/13]

~

REVIEW OF ANIME I'VE WATCHED
DAY/MONTH/YEAR

(9/10) 24/02/24. Ping Pong the Animation // Patatitta [11/11] - Review
(6/10) 06/01/24. Angel beats // Jangsoodlor [13/13] - Review
(4/10) 09/03/24. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai // Ithna [13/13] - Review

Also, you can check MyAnimeList if you want to see what anime I'm currently watching:
https://myanimelist.net/profile/Anaxii

Enjoy!

Aireunaeus
okiiiiii!!!!

Dont Toy Me Miss Nagatoro ^^
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

My Angel Anaxii wrote:

okiiiiii!!!!

ALREADY WATCHED IT

i gave both seasons a 7/10 but the 2nd season is way better!
Aireunaeus

Anaxii wrote:

My Angel Anaxii wrote:

okiiiiii!!!!

ALREADY WATCHED IT

i gave both seasons a 7/10 but the 2nd season is way better!
Ik lol
SEASON 2 WAS CUTER IMO!!!!!
Jangsoodlor
watch angel beats!
Hydreigon
ClevelandsMyBro
corey in the house
Patatitta
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

Jangsoodlor wrote:

watch angel beats!
currently watching it rn!

Hydreigon wrote:

after watching kill la kill

Patatitta
I would recommend adding a queue like I did with my review thread
Ymir

My Angel Anaxii wrote:

okiiiiii!!!!

Honestly the manga is better.
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

I would recommend adding a queue like I did with my review thread
Already did!

Jangsoodlor wrote:

watch angel beats!
Angel Beats!: 6/10

Overall, this anime was actually interesting to watch. I'm in love with animes that mix comedy, action and drama together and this one did it with perfection!

At first, the main character seemed to be so annoying for his alarming ignorance, but as time goes by, he starts to understand and becomes very sweet with others. The main and supporting characters are also visibly unusual since they have their own personality in a world where every student is extremely unbothered about the situation they're in. Each episode really feels like we're going to discover something important about one of the characters. Despite the context, it's crazy to see that they still have hope in them that comes out when they're in a critical situation, and it's motivating!

Unfortunately, even though the animation, the music and the plot twists are captivating as well, the story tells almost nothing, sometimes confusing, vaguely skimming over the origins of the world the characters find themselves. This anime had so much potential to tell something that could have made an even bigger impression on the plublic. If there were more episodes, we could have known more about each character's past. I'm also a little bit sad of the ending that impacted me less than the rest so I'm sure that if the writing had taken another turn, it would have been a real masterpiece.
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

I request

Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World (2003)
ALRIGHT I'M FINALLY WATCHING KINO'S JOURNEY

sorry for the waiting ;-;
Patatitta
have fun
Ithna
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

Ithna wrote:

does it have to do something with romance?
Doom Mood
Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Patatitta
reminder that it has been like a month and a half since I did my request and so far you've watched 2 episodes, don't make promises you cant keep
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

reminder that it has been like a month and a half since I did my request and so far you've watched 2 episodes, don't make promises you cant keep
yeah no you're right, i won't watch kino's journey then
Patatitta
watch ping pong the animation then
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

OK I WON'T DISAPPOINT YOU THIS TIME!!!
Nanofranne
Idk if you have already watched this one. Planetarian

Pretty short. 5 eps in total and an sequel movie if you want
Nuuskamuikkunen

Anaxii wrote:

Ithna wrote:

does it have to do something with romance?
It is a romance series.
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

Anaxii wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

OK I WON'T DISAPPOINT YOU THIS TIME!!!
Just finished episode 4 of ping pong the animation
THE MATCH BETWEEN KONG AND KAZAMA WAS THE CRAZIEST THING EVER OMGGGGG 💀💀💀💀💀

Patatitta
glad that you're enjoying this one
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

Ping Pong the Animation: 9/10

Never thought a sports anime could give me so much emotion in just 11 episodes. I'm not afraid to say that despite its rather offbeat style, it's actually a fantastic show even if you're not into ping pong!

The context of this anime is quite simplistic. The main character with glasses called Makoto Tsukimoto a.k.a "Smile" with his best friend Yutaka Hoshino a.k.a "Peco" have been ping pong players since childhood. Unlike Peco, who devotes all his energy to this sport, Smile only plays for fun and shows his disinterest in making a career out of it. In their adventures, these two protagonists will face extremely powerful opponents and will be training like crazy in the hope of shining on the international stage.

Even if all the episodes are interesting to watch, the best thing about this anime is clearly its ending with its brilliant moral. These 11 episodes were clearly not a waste of time because it made me realize how much more important the love we bring to the sport is far more important than the desire to win. The conclusion is perfect for a story like this so I recommend watching it!
Patatitta
glad to enjoyed it, that's my favourite anime currently (kino no tabi is my second favourite btw)

ping pong for me is action done right. While the anime is pretty over the top, it has A LOT of depth. You can see and understand what the personality and backstories of the characters are just by seeing how they play. Some of the times, stuff like tournament results and stuff are often omited or sped up, as it's not really that interesting. This is very uncommon for action anime/sport anime. All of them just want to show you a lot of fluff and epic scenes, and while the animation for ping pong is absolutely amazing. When you stop and think about it, ping pong isn't really at all like that

Each character personality represents a different archetype of person. Each personality type has a different playstyle which properly represents it. That is AMAZING character design. The matches feels like conversations between the different players.

It really also shows very well what the culture surrounding competitive sports is. The anime adds many scenes that the original didn't have, like that arc with the special shoes and shit. That arc works since it reflects the other side of the spectrum, while smile just doesn't give a shit and wants to have a good time playing ping pong with his friend. Some people are just trying to push to become a lot better. And some people while they dont care feel forced to play into the system and buy the shoes to fit the team. There are expectations set on smile just because he is good, and he just may not want to really compete or play in that environment. The anime is about ping pong but this can be extrapolated to every single competitive sport or game in the world really.

Also fun fact, this is the same director for devilman crybaby, and another anime I recommend is the tatami galaxy, which again is, by the same director.
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART
I honestly think that if this anime was about swimming, horseback riding or any other sports that can be played alone, it would be the same result. It's not really the sport that makes the anime incredible, but the way the writing was done to give a reason for their (the characters) involvement in the sport. If this anime only focused on ping pong without developing a background that prompts reflection, I wouldn't have marked me. (...also because I'm really bad at ping pong)

Patatitta wrote:

Also fun fact, this is the same director for devilman crybaby, and another anime I recommend is the tatami galaxy, which again is, by the same director.
WAIT WHAT?? I WASN'T READY FOR A REVELATION LIKE THIS OMG
Patatitta

Anaxii wrote:

I honestly think that if this anime was about swimming, horseback riding or any other sports that can be played alone, it would be the same result. It's not really the sport that makes the anime incredible, but the way the writing was done to give a reason for their (the characters) involvement in the sport. If this anime only focused on ping pong without developing a background that prompts reflection, I wouldn't have marked me. (...also because I'm really bad at ping pong)

Patatitta wrote:

WAIT WHAT?? I WASN'T READY FOR A REVELATION LIKE THIS OMG
yeah honestly so far from what i've seen devilman crybaby is their worst work LMAO
[TCD] Dzar03
Have you ever heard of Code Geass
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1575/Code_Geass__Hangyaku_no_Lelouch?q=code%20geass&cat=anime
Masterpiece of sci-fi, mecha, thrilling tactical, badass MC are all I can describe about this anime
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

[TCD] Dzar03 wrote:

Have you ever heard of Code Geass
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1575/Code_Geass__Hangyaku_no_Lelouch?q=code%20geass&cat=anime
Masterpiece of sci-fi, mecha, thrilling tactical, badass MC are all I can describe about this anime
i've heard of Code Geass (thanks to Lelouch) but i haven't watched it for some reason lol

i'm going to watch Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai right now!!
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

Ithna wrote:

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai: 4/10

Overall this anime mainly talks about teenage girls who are facing puberty and a lonely hinedere boy, almost disliked by everyone, who magically solves all their problems because they can't seem to fix them themselves. It all started when the main character encounters that schoolgirl actress disguised who tells him about her problem and since then, a romance story had just begun.

The story itself is pretty shaky, but that's not without adding other major issues found in many anime such as unnecessary sexualized scenes and jokes, annoying harem tropes, incest teasing, unmemorable characters and many others. It just felt like the author has never spoken to a woman in his life because apart from giving the conclusion that women have problems and a man, even if he's a jerk, has to be there to solve them, I don't know the moral of this. The fact that there's this concept of "Puberty Syndrome" is not a bad idea, but I had the feeling that the anime surfed more on the excesses I mentioned, which is unfortunate.
Patatitta
I completely disagree with the above review, (tbh I watched this anime 4 years ago and don't remember that much) while there are sexual elements, I didn't find them too bad, at least for anime standards, and the actual story is really fucking good, juggled a lot of paranormal concepts that they will later start combining and end up in a really good thing. I don't agree with the opinion of "why didn't the girls solve it themselves" because as far as I remember, they had no way or doing so, like, the first girl was straight up invisible and the only person who could see her was the boy
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART

Patatitta wrote:

I completely disagree with the above review, (tbh I watched this anime 4 years ago and don't remember that much) while there are sexual elements, I didn't find them too bad, at least for anime standards, and the actual story is really fucking good, juggled a lot of paranormal concepts that they will later start combining and end up in a really good thing. I don't agree with the opinion of "why didn't the girls solve it themselves" because as far as I remember, they had no way or doing so, like, the first girl was straight up invisible and the only person who could see her was the boy
Just like everyone else, the story got me really hooked at first with the two characters, one of which appeared completely invisible. If I'd stopped at that, I would have congratulated the anime for its promising story, but as episodes go by, that hype I had with Sakuta and Mai was disappearing when I realized that it was just a fanservice harem with repetitive situations that taints the story and a gradual neglect of the first girl the boy met. I wish the romance aspect between the two that the anime brought me at the beginning had been more in the spotlight than everything else, but that was apparently not the path the anime wanted to take.
Patatitta
yeah I completely disagree with that
Topic Starter
I AM VERY SMART
alright then i'm going to start watching Kaguya-sama right now~
Nuuskamuikkunen
Adding my two cents: Bunny Sempai anime was a 6/10 for me. Not too much due to the harem stuff (which was barely present and also it is shown that the protagonist CLEARLY is in a stable relationship with Mai), but rather, the pacing was way too fast for characters to flesh out and make the tragedies more... tragic. The first arc was excellent and I would have given the anime a 9/10 if it were solely for that arc but man... it fell off so quickly, it should have lasted 24 episodes. Also the fact they did that awesome arc with the 1st girl just for the authors to do this with her...

It was not good.

Also because it was a bootleg Haruhi in many aspects.
Patatitta
for me the first arc was really good, then it fell off a little bit, then came back hard with the movie, the movie is the best aspect of the anime, still, if you didn't enjoy the anime, don't watch the movie
Jangsoodlor
watch Hyouka
Neigdoig
I wonder if this is still up, but maybe try Hibike! Euphonium.