forum

Mapping with keyboard

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
nazenaze
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Matma Rex
YESYESYES!
Zekira
It's something similar to real-time mapping, and it's very much not advisable...

It'll also take extensive work to add a seperate real-time mapping mode or something...
Gemi

Zekira wrote:

It's something similar to real-time mapping, and it's very much not advisable...
I assume you have never made charts/maps in other rhythm games? Using record mode (ie. real time mapping while the song plays) is a good way to lay down the basics of the map, from which you then continue with the normal editing. Recording is by no means good by itself, but combined with normal editing it speeds up and eases map creation for some people. Not everyone likes to use it or is able to use if efficiently, but for those who can it makes the process so much better.
anonymous_old
I still support user-mappable keyboard shortcuts for the editor. And yes, I support this as an addition to mappable shortcuts.
awp
The idea I like out of this would be to make click+drag when placing hitcircles to automatically switch to creating a slider. That'd be neat.
mattyu007

awp wrote:

The idea I like out of this would be to make click+drag when placing hitcircles to automatically switch to creating a slider.
There's an idea~
Matma Rex

Zekira wrote:

Don't know how about you, but I always map by tapping 20-seconds parts of map, then scrolling back and fixing misplaced notes, doing spacing work, adding hitsounds, combos etc. But I always start by letting music play and tapping.

Also, dowant easier creating of sliders.
CheeseWarlock
Eh, I'm not sure about this. It would make mapping easier, but that's a blessing and a curse (see maps that are technically correct but have no soul because people just rushed them out carelessly)...
Zekira
Also, wouldn't it be weird if you were mapping while Distance&Grid Snap was on or something? I mean, it would be very disorienting --- if you turn them off then chances are they are erroneous
Card N'FoRcE
+1 support

Think about it, we can already do what nazenaze suggests, but we can do that only using mouse.
Since i heard of people placing beats while playing the song in editor (actually i do that too) using Z/X or whatever keyboard key could be a great help (also, my mouse buttons are kinda hard to press and i'd love to see this implemented >.<)
Sleep Powder
This is how I tried to map the first time I tried to make a beatmap~ Unfortunately I realized it couldn't work like that so I ended up making a really bad beatmap. If I had real-time mapping I could probably not need to press the rewind button all the time while mapping. Its like an instant rough-draft~ If you did it this way distance-snap could also be used in this. I honestly don't see why this wasn't there in the first place.

I hate pausing all the time just to map and rewinding all the time lags me when I map.
The on and off combined with distance snap really murdered my beatmapping style.

+support and serenity
Derekku
This could really be useful for experienced mappers so that they can place beats faster.

ME on the other hand... I'm so slow and never have any ideas ;A;
SteRRuM
+1
fartownik
Wow, really nice idea. +support
bmin11
I agree to drag slider part. It would be neat if certain keys works for x0.5 and x2 distance snaps to make jumps easier
mm201

awp wrote:

The idea I like out of this would be to make click+drag when placing hitcircles to automatically switch to creating a slider. That'd be neat.
A slider that looks like it was made in mspaint.

You can already sort of do this by placing circles after hitting Play in the editor. The results are not pretty.
CheeseWarlock
I'm changing my opinion on this to negative. Care more about your maps; faster is not always better. Any system to easily place objects while the song is playing would result in one or more of the following:
  • The system being too slow to be efficient; nobody uses it
    Poor recognition of note placement requires a lot of reworking of every single section
    Every map made using the system ends up looking the same, and probably ugly
anonymous_old
I've seen some mappers tap our just the beat for the notes (not spacing) while playing the song in the editor.
Matma Rex

strager wrote:

I've seen some mappers tap our just the beat for the notes (not spacing) while playing the song in the editor.
That's exactly how I map - tap to create "sketch" of placement of notes on timeline, then go back and place them graphically, add hitsounds, combos, fix anything that I tapped wrong. Ability to use z/x or to hold key to make slider would be just an improvement to already existing system.
show more