forum

stop the aimophobia

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bjorn_
where are the actual aim maps why are bn's accepting these (in my opinion) LAZY maps like there should be no reason what so ever that in the last like 5-6 months ranked maps have genuinely been not fun to play at all everything is so slider pilled its actually boring like slider skillsets are like okay and all but it doesn't mean that they have to deliberately not allow these maps to be ranked there should be a different way for picking a criteria other than just "opinion" or if they're against it, because its lowkey the BNs faults no one likes playing new , thats pretty cringe like for someone to even make a post like this no matter who it was is actually crazy
Livermorium
People have too much ego to accept they are wrong. It will just be too much for those people to ackowledge that the game is dying because of the mapping meta they tried so hard to create. Maybe from mapping side of views newer maps are better than older maps but that means nothing about the actual gameplay experience. Most players probably know the fact but all the egotistical mappers and bns will never accept nor see the fact and that’s why new maps are literal garbage for the future of osu.

I don’t think it takes a lot of intellectual ability to see why people still play farm maps and aim maps and clearly trying to stop people from playing those maps by not making/ranking any won’t actually improve anything but encourage people to just find something else to do
cfreckas
As a long term jump enjoyer, it really has started to feel as if I'm being forced to play a different playstyle/skill lately. i joined in 2021 and I've been playing the same maps from that time and below, just now the top difficulties lol. Thankfully i picked up consistency jump maps so the pp rework didn't impact me, but what's currently going on with the new ranked maps is a different story.

Hopefully they go easier with the standards and let some of the players like me who enjoy jumps a lot also get something new regularly coming in to play (don't even start with the 1 jump map that gets ranked every month omegalul). Don't want to sound dramatic, but yeah I can see possibilities where players get burnt out from playing the same songs over and over again, and then dip for some time, could just be me though.
Topic Starter
bjorn_

Livermorium wrote:

People have too much ego to accept they are wrong. It will just be too much for those people to ackowledge that the game is dying because of the mapping meta they tried so hard to create. Maybe from mapping side of views newer maps are better than older maps but that means nothing about the actual gameplay experience. Most players probably know the fact but all the egotistical mappers and bns will never accept nor see the fact and that’s why new maps are literal garbage for the future of osu.

I don’t think it takes a lot of intellectual ability to see why people still play farm maps and aim maps and clearly trying to stop people from playing those maps by not making/ranking any won’t actually improve anything but encourage people to just find something else to do
amazing take
BlueChinchompa
Solution: Let AI take over mapping :clueless:
Dafiely

Livermorium wrote:

I'd even add that those who cant agree on that intentioanlly or not gaslight people into thinking that current maps are so much better and higher quality when adequate people expressing their dissatisfaction. There are even worse type of people that follow some "conceptual" mappers and protect those shitmaps. They dont even know bs they are saying in discussions but they still do, because they think they have some relevant experience since they follow their favourite shitmapper on twitter
Uniform
a wider variety of maps getting qualified isn't a bad thing. I do, however, think it's kind of disappointing how lackluster most of the aim maps that are nominated nowadays are. Most aim maps are nominated by bn friends so the quality has greatly dropped since ~2020. anyways moral of the story is go back to modding v1.
powerplayer75

Livermorium wrote:

i dont really believe its *entirely* egotism. i get the impression that if you're a BN who looks at a billion maps all the time youd simply get tired of looking at the same type of structure and aesthetic all the time. and its not like it would be morally right to force them to push maps the community enjoys but they dont because at the end of the day its volunteer work.

but i do agree that people overlook the value of simple maps because *if* our goal is to keep the community as active as possible then making maps that people will *want* to play over and over is obviously a good way to do that.
qwt
someone who has never touched the editor in their life wrote this
map should express the music accurately, simple
[[[[[[
where are the actual aim maps why are bn's accepting these (in my opinion) LAZY maps like there should be no reason what so ever that in the last like 5-6 months ranked maps have genuinely been not fun to play at all everything is so slider pilled its actually boring like slider skillsets are like okay and all but it doesn't mean that they have to deliberately not allow these maps to be ranked there should be a different way for picking a criteria other than just "opinion" or if they're against it, because its lowkey the BNs faults no one likes playing new , thats pretty cringe like for someone to even make a post like this no matter who it was is actually crazy
Simcur
I have to disagree somewhat with Sotarks sentiment on merely catering to what the player base. It doesn't really consider why that's what they want and why it's that way. The popularity around pp maps largely comprises their ease of replayability to grind out for easy ranking up. Which, isn't how a rhythm game should work. Rhythm games package a variety of songs to focus on some core rhythm skills, and expect the player to overcome it. I saw a flood of generic anime maps that basically killed the variety and thus enjoyment of the game for me. I saw someone call the modern maps 'lazy' when these farms maps were obviously lazy and like factory made and didn't represent well the variety of skills I wanted to see.

If that is how people are learning to play then they are learning wrong. People obviously find it discouraging to be told that which may decrease motivation to play, but is that per se the game/maps fault? I don't think so.

I don't think its a map issue but an issue with the ranking system, where it gives this misleading sense of improvement and this is how I should play, without any correction mechanism of what else is important since those aren't weighted. I don't think mapping efforts alone will be satisfactory for most as it makes it disjoint the actual ranking system.

Coming from someone that hasn't really cared for the ranking system and thinks in terms of maps, from a sample of modern ones I took (I was selective though so I may be biased and much may be boring), it felt a lot more professional and interesting from what I remember (I was playing oldschool 2011-2016 maps at this time) so much so that it renewed my faith in modern mapping. Like something you'd see packaged as a song in a rhythm game. I saw a wide range of stuff, and definitely saw jump focuses that had the reasonable stream section. Which, I don't think is unreasonable of a 5 star map 155 BPM map (should be this one: beatmapsets/1893664#osu/4394098)

That said, I *do* think specific short 'skill focus' maps are important. Think DeltaMAX (Rustbell), Do It! (Matrix), Disconnected Hardcore (Shiirn). Songs like these that focus hard on short but difficult 'far screen' playing are important. Most maps I've seen mapped are very long. Focused jump practice *is* important, I think.

Much of this doesn't apply to more advanced players where the bigger issue is catering to a population of players getting ever better while mapping convincing songs to those skills without feeling completely overblown overmapping.

Also, I'd genuinely appreciate specific examples of conceptual slider maps people have issue with. IOException, Ryuusei Aika, and wafer come to mind but I'd appreciate knowing more names.
Justmap
I think it has something to do with the current ones ranking these maps, If the players and nominators are having splits in opinion... I think there needs to have a change

I know that a beatmap should represent the flow of the music, but the main problem right now is that they're more on uncomfortable visuals than, giving fun, comfortable experience, to the player. These uncomfortable mapping styles that cater to the minority is fine to me... But, if this gets really consistent, It should mean that the ones on the seat is just basically abusing their authority.

Why can't we just balance both visuals and fun when creating a beatmap?
Nanofranne
If only there's a tag to show mapset that have xx% amount of specific community-agreed-upon terms, Perhaps I think it can be one piece to improve the mapping scene
I AM VERY SMART

qwt wrote:

someone who has never touched the editor in their life wrote this
map should express the music accurately, simple
it's normally supposed to be the only valid answer, but most players enjoy playing those farm maps that give pp because it's easy and they can enjoy more

now, it just feels like mehhhhhh