forum

Improving in all keymodes?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
1sznjer_osu
I'm gonna be completely honest. I made the mistake of getting better solely in 4K for a while. I can S rank 2.5 stars in 4K and now I suck in everything above 4K. I don't wanna take months to simply improve in these keymodes because I still wanna play 4K and I'll probably quit the game all-together if I try and focus back into higher keymodes due to lack of resolve.

I'm kinda also wanting to get into competitive 4-key so I don't want to put in the effort for other keymodes I probably won't need.

Should I just suck it in?
Wimpy Cursed
Play 4k. But if you ever find yourself with extra time and just want to mess around, play some other keymodes. Don't even care about the performance.

Just do whatever is fun to you, really.
Topic Starter
1sznjer_osu

Wimpy Cursed wrote:

Play 4k. But if you ever find yourself with extra time and just want to mess around, play some other keymodes. Don't even care about the performance.

Just do whatever is fun to you, really.
I may just take your advice but I'll really only get focused into 7K because 5-6K will probably just come with 7K and I couldn't care about them anyway.
Wimpy Cursed
Personally I do use 6k just to practice on pressing with my ring fingers, and play 5k just to practice pressing with my thumb.
But I barely do that, so it may just be an irrelevant.
UltraBlack
Mania was molded in a way where 4k is really the focus which is not the most usual for other rhythm games. Usually higher keymodes are more common and 4k is like "the easy version"(overrapid and dj max are like that) and that is one of the things that made mania be mania. Due to playing only 4k, high skilled players don't like other keymodes due to then feeling way too boring or slow, and that is true, if you play mania to a high level you will feel that easy 7k is disgusting. That has been in the community since always and after a lot of players left the scene of the game (7k players) people usually get the game from a 4k video and then forget about the other stuff. My opinion is and will always be that mania is mania, and a true mania player can play all keymodes, maybe not equally but at a decent level. But yeah, if you want a tip, play 7k after you finish your 4k session from time to time. That was what i used to do, i kept doing that until the day i decided to play more 7k since 4k was getting way harder to progress due to personal problems. And hey, after you get the idea 7k gets really fun and you can easily play 5k,6k and a bit of 8k, 9k and 10k.
midgy

UltraBlack wrote:

Mania was molded in a way where 4k is really the focus which is not the most usual for other rhythm games. Usually higher keymodes are more common and 4k is like "the easy version"(overrapid and dj max are like that) and that is one of the things that made mania be mania.
i don't think anything about 4k makes it the main mode except for it's popularity, weird to say the game is molded around that, esp when you consider how much star rating/pp favours higher keymodes. Also a lot of popular vsrg focus on 4k as the main mode like fnf, stepmania, ffr

UltraBlack wrote:

high skilled players don't like other keymodes due to then feeling way too boring or slow, and that is true, if you play mania to a high level you will feel that easy 7k is disgusting. That has been in the community since always and after a lot of players left the scene of the game (7k players) people usually get the game from a 4k video and then forget about the other stuff.
it's more that 7k and 4k are treated very differently in how they are approached to the point of them basically being different gamemodes, if someone only likes 4k they probably don't want to commit a lot of time into a different keymode in the same way they probably don't want to learn taiko

UltraBlack wrote:

But yeah, if you want a tip, play 7k after you finish your 4k session from time to time. That was what i used to do, i kept doing that until the day i decided to play more 7k since 4k was getting way harder to progress due to personal problems. And hey, after you get the idea 7k gets really fun and you can easily play 5k,6k and a bit of 8k, 9k and 10k.
this is vbery good advice

if you intend to get into all keymodes i would recommend focusing more on 7k than 4k since the skills will transfer a lot more, a good 7k player can usually play some easier 4k stuff but it doesn't really work the other way around

but if you have more fun with 4k you can just play that, or do a bit of both like ultra said. i think the best approach is to treat them as separate game modes and just play whichever you seems like more fun at the time so i don't think you've made any mistake
Stickman92
If being bad at 7k bothers you. Then its worth spending a lil bit of your practice session on 7k. 85% 4k & 15% 7k as an example.