forum

[Archived] Osu!mania varying levels of latency and input lag, completely at a loss.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
tjdamann
Problem details:
To preface this, I had been playing osu!mania fine for multiple years on the same system. No obvious levels of input lag or latency at all, My hitsounds occured at the time I hit the key on my keyboard, and the inputs lined up with the beat of the song.

A few months back, however, I noticed I wasn't playing as well as I used to. For a while I chocked it up to just being in a rut, but it kept going, and I eventually experimented more because the game felt off. I found out that something about the game was lagging behind. Not exactly sure what it was, but it was obvious that the game was delayed to some extent considering when I hit on beat, i was consistently getting late 200s.

I tried changing settings, putting on every different frame limiter type, changing the resolution, playing on a different display, turning on and off audio and video compatibility mode, etc. but to no avail. Eventually I just reinstalled the game, which fixed it for a time, but the delay eventually came back.

At some point I realized maybe it was my new audio interface, so I tried using a different output device, which fixed it again for a little while, however if I didn't launch the game through the osu! repair tool, the delay would come back.

Now I'm here, with the same setup except I upgraded the GPU from an AMD Radeon RX 570 to an RTX 4070, and the delay is back again. This time, the repair tool doesn't fix it. At this point I've basically assumed it has something to do with CPU or GPU bottlenecking, because I don't know what else it could be now.

If anyone has any ideas or questions that could help out, please let me know.

I can get videos and screenshots of the current issue at some point in the near future, however real life is busy right now.