forum

Professor Layton and the Curious Village

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Loginer

Imagine a digital clock like this one. How many times will the clock display three or more of the same number in a row over the course of one day? The clock is set to display time on a 12-hour scale(Starts on 12, ends on 11, x2).

Solved it? Does the answer * 3,59 / 2,7 ≈ 45,207407? Then this is a game for you. Do you own a DS? It's about Professor Layton, the most clever bastard alive, and a kid named Luke, who's always with him for some reason. They travel to a village to find a golden apple an old rich guy hid somewhere before he died, thus getting his entire fortune. Or is that really why he's interested in finding the apple? I don't know, I've only played the game for 10 hours or so yet.

And in case you've been wondering who the guy on my avatar is, it's Professor Layton. :3
Cecilthemos
I haven't gotten to that puzzle, I'm just where it gets dark, I should play more later today.
hunnykilla
Just got the game and its pretty fun, some puzzles are hard. The puzzle about the 3 digits time takes a while but after you think about it it easy.Good game, it'll keep me busy waiting for apollo justice and then super smash brothers brawl. So far i've played for an hour.
Cecilthemos

Nakao wrote:

Just got the game and its pretty fun, some puzzles are hard. The puzzle about the 3 digits time takes a while but after you think about it it easy.Good game, it'll keep me busy waiting for apollo justice and then super smash brothers brawl. So far i've played for an hour.
That's basically what I'm doing, this will keep me until Apollo Justice, and that will hopefully hold me until my modchip comes.
hunnykilla
Hm modichips, for wii?
Topic Starter
Loginer
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Cecilthemos

Loginer wrote:

Nakao wrote:

I got it to make the wait for Apollo to arrive easier. I already have Brawl. :3
Then how is waiting for Apollo Justice in any way hard?
Also, just beat Professor Layton, I'm going to try the Taiko DS game and DS Dungeon Explorer, hope they'll last a week.
chan

Loginer wrote:

Solved it? Does the answer * 3,59 / 2,7 ≈ 45,207407?
Yes, so I think I need to play this :P

Loginer wrote:

And in case you've been wondering who the guy on my avatar is, it's Professor Layton. :3
I always was curious about who it was.
GEN_old
Everyone is going crazy for this game and I've no idea why. I think I'll try it once I'm done with pokemon. Something gives me the idea it might not be the best for playing while tired in bed though.
Cecilthemos

Loginer wrote:

Imagine a digital clock like this one. How many times will the clock display three or more of the same number in a row over the course of one day? The clock is set to display time on a 12-hour scale(Starts on 12, ends on 11, x2).

Solved it? Does the answer * 3,59 / 2,7 ≈ 45,207407? Then this is a game for you. Do you own a DS? It's about Professor Layton, the most clever bastard alive, and a kid named Luke, who's always with him for some reason. They travel to a village to find a golden apple an old rich guy hid somewhere before he died, thus getting his entire fortune. Or is that really why he's interested in finding the apple? I don't know, I've only played the game for 10 hours or so yet.

Whoa, just actually read that post (sorry, lol) but how have you played for 10 hours and still haven't beaten the game? I clocked maybe 8.
Echo
I was going to get this game a couple of days ago, until I saw it was 50MB and didn't get it that day.

Now I have to get it :P
Echo
Wow, I love some of the puzzles in there. Such as 6, the weights and balance one. And 15, the candle one.
Topic Starter
Loginer
awp
I accidentally stumbled upon PA's old Disgaea2 comic yesterday. Good laughs.

Love this stuff.
LuigiHann
That PA is pretty spot-on. I actually wonder about this; in any other adventure game, random characters demanding that you solve arbitrary puzzles is annoying, and often considered to be "bad" game design, yet here, we have a game that is nothing but that. I'm not criticizing it, just expressing bewilderment. I do look forward to playing this game, because mind teasers are fun. I just wonder, what's the point of having a story, when the puzzles are so detached from it.
awp
90% of the puzzles in the Resident Evil series make me scream "WHO DESIGNED THIS FUCKING HOUSE?!" and are often very cryptic and difficult to solve...but they've also always been quite fun and a sort of trademark to the series (RE4 almost lacked the puzzle element entirely, though it was a different game altogether). I think Resident Evil is an example of a series (pre-RE4) where arbitrary puzzles add to the experience - then again, the puzzles aren't exactly detached; whoever hid that key/tome/medallion/statue piece/gem/etc did not want you to find it. They're not "testing your resolve" or some other excuse.
Cecilthemos
I like RE4 a lot because most of the puzzles are either very easy or optional.
And the game just plain kicks ass (Wii Version FTW)
awp
Fucking yes RE4 is fantastic.

Once I get a 2 gig SD card for my camera I'm going to attempt to record a speed-run. If it's even possible to do, I'm shooting for <2 hours (current record is 2:18 I believe).

And with that, we are off topic.
Topic Starter
Loginer
I finally cleared the game. I managed to clock 20 hours and 36 minutes. However, I've left the game on without even looking at it a couple of times, simply enjoying the music, so...
Also, 107 puzzles solved, 118 found, 3443 picarats so far. And the ending is amazing. O_O
Cecilthemos

awp wrote:

Fucking yes RE4 is fantastic.

Once I get a 2 gig SD card for my camera I'm going to attempt to record a speed-run. If it's even possible to do, I'm shooting for <2 hours (current record is 2:18 I believe).

And with that, we are off topic.
On New Game + I believe I've gotten a 4 hour save done, but I've only beaten the game 3 times.
Topic Starter
Loginer
Wait for the sequel to open the hidden door? Screw that. *Attacks with Action Replay for massive damage*

Game ID - A5FE 443CE787

Code
02037880 E5C01004
02037884 E1500000

Use any password for instant win. Oh, and the DS-unique code is visible afterwards. So if you don't want to risk anything, just back-up the save and use the code to find the real password, right? Nope. Tried it, the password is incorrect. But you only have to use the code once, anyway.

That leaves you with only the Wi-Fi-puzzles to wait for, right? WROOONG. They're not even downloaded, they are merely unlocked. Here are all the puzzles in the game, including "Wi-Fi"-puzzles, in no specific order: http://deufeufeu.free.fr/layton/puzzles.html
It's only a matter of time until you can "download" all the puzzles with Action Replay. :3
Echo
AR for unlocking downloaded puzzles plz

LuigiHann
Finally started playing this game "for reals" and man, the puzzles are addictive, but this is the most inane story I've even encountered in a game.

"MY CAT RAN AWAY! Go get it"
"We'd better hurry and catch that cat"
"There's the cat. Oh no, it ran away some more."
"Oh by the way, let's take a break from chasing the cat to get a room at the inn"
"We're an inn, and we're open, but even though nobody ever stays here we're renovating all the rooms and beds at once. You can sleep on the floor in the attic if you want"
"Good deal!"
"Now we'd better hurry and catch that cat"

Seriously, this is dumb as hell.

I also like how when you cross the stream (in a rowboat) it's accompanied by a footstep sound... and the cat apparently runs across the stream with no explanation.

Still, the game is a lot of fun. I hope some of the later puzzles feel less... familiar, just because I loved these things as a kid so I feel like I've heard many of them before (of course, I've forgotten all the answers...)
Maximum
Hehe, I just HAD to peek over my brother's DS while he was playing. I wasn't that much of a puzzle freak, but I DID like the obvious-but-looks-hard puzzles. Even if it doesn't have math. 'Cause I hate the math puzzles. :?
eyup
I think it was a mistake for me to play this straight after finishing Apollo Justice. The answers to all the mysteries are spoon-fed back to you, rather than you having to work it out. And the story is seriously lame (as LuigiHann pointed out, chasing a cat around constitutes one whole chapter). Mysterious young girl in shroud shows up - I WONDER WHO THAT IS. The puzzles are fun but the storytelling could really do with some work.
Topic Starter
Loginer
Now, then. Here is the code for the "downloadable" puzzles.

Press R or L: The month/day of the puzzle date will change to the internal puzzle number. Then, while R or L is pressed, press Right or Left on the D-pad to cycle through the puzzles. k?

02019B00 E1A00000
023FE074 012FFF11
E0000000 000000A8
E92D003F E3A00301
E5900130 E3100C01
13100C02 159F0088
E59F2080 1A00001B
E3A04402 E59F1070
E1D130BA E3100010
1A000003 E2833001
E35300A3 03A03001
EA000005 E3100020
13A05000 1A000009
E2433001 E3530000
03A030A2 E5945000
E3550000 05813000
01C130BA 05423002
E1D130BA E3A05001
E5845000 E3A00000
E3530064 A3A00001
A2433064 E0800403
E1C200B0 E8BD003F
E12FFF1E 022AEA78
022ADF8A 00000802
023FE074 E3520003
chan
LOL I owned my girlfriend's cousin at this game, and eventually finished the whole game. Some puzzles such as "biggest star" and "spare change" were really frustratingly stupid so I didn't finish them, but the rest were all right. Also the technophile chocolate "GECY NW" puzzle totally stumped me. Puzzles are fun, but seriously, I CBF'd with the story.

Can anyone else suggest me another good DS puzzle game?
Topic Starter
Loginer

chan wrote:

LOL I owned my girlfriend's cousin at this game, and eventually finished the whole game. Some puzzles such as "biggest star" and "spare change" were really frustratingly stupid so I didn't finish them, but the rest were all right. Also the technophile chocolate "GECY NW" puzzle totally stumped me. Puzzles are fun, but seriously, I CBF'd with the story.

Can anyone else suggest me another good DS puzzle game?
If you mean these kind of puzzles, you'll have to wait for the next Layton.
Also, biggest star is easy when you actually realize a thing or two about Earth.
And as for the chocolate puzzle, look at your keyboard.