forum

Lets try make icons mean something - discussion

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
deadbeat
We have the free use of icons in the skinning subforum. but it might help if we use them for a reason. for example, OsuMe65 will use to show that the thread needs locking. So what do you all think, want to try add some meaning to the icons? or just keep it as it is where they don't really mean anything and free to use as you want?
Yuzeyun
If I were to give a meaning to the icons :
Star: Nice start for a skin
Bubble: Could be moved to finished if it weren't completed
Heart: Finished skin, can be moved to completed
Flame: Skin needs huge improvements
Nuke: Thread needs locking
Popped bubble, Broken heart: Link dead.
Mode Icons: Used for mode-special skins.

? / ! / i would be only for announcements.
XPJ38
You probably already know my opinion about this deadbeat, but for the others:

Let's keep the system as it is now. Sure it isn't optimal, but thread icons aren't of any use if anybody can change them with a single post (and people won't read the thread describing the icons anyway, so why bother). Ideally, something like this should be used, but unfortunately this won't happen soon.

There, I just nuked the current thread, will deadbeat lock it? :P
Topic Starter
deadbeat
essentially i'm trying to find ways to make the skin forum more organized. so for now, i'm going to see what some of the active posters in this sub forum think. if people seem to like the icons, i can try arrange something. but no guarantees. so for now, i'm going to sit back, and see what people have to say about this topic
Nathanael
Letting these icons have meanings isn't a bad idea but yeah, only few people notices these icons and it will just get changed by a single post.
Hmm. Let me show my opinions here even I'm not that active much.

Opinions
Modes
Used by the thread starter, since these are used at the start and it will get replaced by other icons.
Standard -- Taiko -- Catch the Beat -- Mania -- Mixed
It would be good if these icons are separated from the others

Skin Progress
Used by the thread starter, to let other players know what is the progress.
Updated -- Work In Progress -- Completed -- Abandoned -- Unknown / Inactive

Others
Used by other players.
Invalid Thread (Requires locking) -- Dead Link

Links of individual templates / Others
Available -- Unavailable

Edit: Moved question mark (unknown) to Skin Progress (Inactive)
Kurokami
Lets see how this will turn out. o.o I'm interested with this kind of organization and I think the post before mine makes a lot of sense but needs some improvement. Like allowing multiple icons because currently there is only one possible. And sometimes it happens (like with my skins) a skin needs more. Like and . It makes sense right? A skin can be WiP and Mixed at the same time but its impossible to add 2 kind of icon to it. So if you can make this work I vote for the one before me, it makes a lot of sense.
Martinawa
That's a great idea, specially for that skins that aim to be at the Completed Skins subforum and are revised by deadbeat, making icon system look alike the pending beatmap icon system. I think this can be better organised in the future as there's people interested in this, but that's a remote suggestion.

Also, it can be helpful for those who are looking for a good skin outside the boundaries of the Completed Skins Subforum, which it has few skins yet. I usually visit this subforum looking for what kind of skins people do or watching what I like, and sometimes, specially for new skins, the content inside the topic is an absolute lottery. Icons will help a lot on that.
Topic Starter
deadbeat
no further need for this.