forum

[Archived] Having Discord(?) open causes unplayable stutters.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tristan
Video: https://youtu.be/Smn1W2RrFsY?si=I4sWH7oUQgIu5fsk
osu! version: Cutting Edge 20230814

I've had this issue for well over a year, but within the past months it seems to be getting worse. I'm thinking its related to Discord in some way. Having Discord simply open (not in voice chat or screensharing) will lead to me getting occasional lagspikes. Receiving a message can cause a lagspike. And being in voice chat, with or without someone screensharing, causes constant lagspikes, as the clip above demonstrates.

The "lagspikes" in question will often spike my ms, and during the "lag" my inputs will be ignored entirely, causing my aim to be forcefully thrown off, or taps to be delayed/ignored, guaranteeing my score to be ruined.

The only constant "trigger" for lagspikes is being present in a voice channel. Otherwise, the program running simply causes random lagspikes that I can't trace to much. Receiving DMs can cause lag, but its not consistent enough to be a reliable trigger.

My game occasionally lagspikes even without Discord open, but its not enough to be a concern, unlike when Discord is actually running.

The obvious "solution" would be to disable Discord. But ultimately acts as a band-aid solution to an otherwise larger problem.

I have tried every single possible thing I can think of, but nothing eliminates the lag. Including but not limited to:
Frame Limiter (Optimzal, Unlimited, Power Saver, and VSync)
Reduce Dropped Frames ON/OFF
Release and Cutting Edge versions
Compatibility Mode
Reduce Dropped Frames
Different Resolutions
Windowed Mode/Fullscreen
Making the game as minimal as possible (Turning off all details + using minimal skin)
Closing every program except Discord and osu!
Disabling Discord overlay
Disabling Discord hardware acceleration
Updating Windows
Updating Drivers (and trying various versions)
Unplugging my second monitor
Reinstalling Discord
Reinstalling osu! (Even tried reinstalling onto different drives)
Reinstalling Windows

As well as trying a various mix of what is listed above. Nothing has fixed it, and I'm starting to question if anything will. I've since upgraded my PC as well, a new GPU and more RAM, yet still have lagspikes.

I'm at a complete loss, so any help for new things to try would be much appreciated.

Specs:
Version: 10.0.19045 Build 19045
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
SSD: SK hynix BC501 HFM256GDJTNG-8310A
BaseBoard: HP 84FD Version 00

RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
Module Manufacturer: Crucial Technology
Part Number: CP2K16G4DFRA32A

HP OMEN 875-0034
Ryu Sei
Are you sure osu! is running on your AMD GPU and not on Intel's integrated GPU? You can change your graphics settings on Windows and set osu! to use high performance GPU. You can tell it's high performance if the description shows that the GPU is the AMD one.
Topic Starter
Tristan

Ryu Sei wrote:

Are you sure osu! is running on your AMD GPU and not on Intel's integrated GPU? You can change your graphics settings on Windows and set osu! to use high performance GPU. You can tell it's high performance if the description shows that the GPU is the AMD one.
It is running off my AMD GPU. I've tried both CPU and GPU at this point, and neither has helped.