Performance Points feedback and suggestions (Standard)

posted
Total Posts
2,647
show more
jesse1412

Genki1000 wrote:

I'm actually more concerned about maps like this

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/85675&m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/66359&m=0

where people deliberately take off HR to gain more spinner bonus.

PP scoreboards will completely reset the rankings those kind of maps
As it should do???

Makan1 wrote:

FL players work extremely hard only to get 1st on a map and it seems unfair.
So do DT players and HR players and HD pla-... wait a second...
Makan1
Yeah but it's different methods of working hard. When your skill is already high like snowwhite, he can FC hddt a map in 1-3 tries. FL is actually working hard for a map just for #1 or a high rank. You never use FL so you don't know but when you put a retarded amount of time to do FL on a 1000+ combo map then you might understand how deserving the first place actually is.

Look at Heiwana's play on yoiyami hanabi and you can't deny that it's a billion times more impressive than the hdhr score.
If you have issues with hdfl beating hddt then be like cookiezi and SS like on fake me science XD
GoldenWolf

Makan1 wrote:

Yeah but it's different methods of working hard. When your skill is already high like snowwhite, he can FC hddt a map in 1-3 tries. FL is actually working hard for a map just for #1 or a high rank.
That's the thing, FL in itself does not make you better at the game generally (you could argue it helps with snapping and stuff, but I really don't see it helping much about it) unlike other mods (DT, HR, HD and even EZ), so I don't think FL should be rewarded even more than it actually is (50% bonus flat on aim is already huge enough...)
jesse1412

Makan1 wrote:

Yeah but it's different methods of working hard. When your skill is already high like snowwhite, he can FC hddt a map in 1-3 tries. FL is actually working hard for a map just for #1 or a high rank. You never use FL so you don't know but when you put a retarded amount of time to do FL on a 1000+ combo map then you might understand how deserving the first place actually is.

Look at Heiwana's play on yoiyami hanabi and you can't deny that it's a billion times more impressive than the hdhr score.
If you have issues with hdfl beating hddt then be like cookiezi and SS like on fake me science XD
Again, you can put a weeks worth of effort into a map and a year of standard practice and take rank 1 while it would take 4 years of standard practice to do the same with DT. DT requires more effort in the long run and hence SHOULD be worth more than FL.
Makan1
But DT is already worth more than FL currently?? Did I miss something and FL got a buff.

*add on edit
What if rrtyui decides to use FL and take #1 on a map? I've actually spectated him doing it and would your argument work then?
* actually it doesn't relate too much....
Also I don't see why people taking 1 with FL is a problem because it doesn't reflect on the actual rankings too much.
BluOxy #3 ppv1 to 120+
Yoshilove rank ~250 ppv1 to 1000+ so it's actually pretty good if you ask me
Does it matter if the 2 score is DT BUT you get ~50 more pp than the FL play and you rise to a much higher rank anyway. It would have made sense complaining in ppv1 but in ppv2, things have changed
Zare
you're continuously missing the point
what ppv2 measures is "what does this score tell me about the player's clicking speed, aim speed & precision and clicking accuracy"
a FL score on long maps is always impressive because of the mental aspect, but the actual, physical difficulty of the map doesn't really increase.
The score is only impressive for itself, because evidently a lot of effort went into it. But the player getting that score didn't gain any kind of physical strength he can use in other maps, his actual >skill< doesn't improve from getting that score
Rewben2
Damn this flashlight talk has been going down forever

It all comes down to whether you think that pp - your ranking compared to the rest of the community as a player - should be based off how much effort went into a score or how good the player is. I think the latter is quite clearly the way to go, isn't the whole purpose of a ranking system to give better players a higher rank? All we can base this off is scores, creating a system which can be manipulated to make scores appear good just because a lot of time went into it is not the way to go.
Dexus
I personally would like to see the weighting system shifted to where the top five or so scores have a higher weighting. The taper effect seems to sudden and then draws out too long. Past the top 25 it should be where it hits that 1% weight. The list view should be shorter as well since I and others don't bother to look very far down in the list. With this hitting your top five would be more rewarding and players would have a better idea of placing scores around their top ten instead of continually replacing their very top performance. It seem useless to score anything less than your best to move anywhere. More consistent players would be rewarded as well since they would have several good scores placed instead of a handful of odd weighted scores. No mod is kind of crippled because of this fact; there's not enough high rating maps no mod that are relative to where I'm ranked. Big black SS 300pp and Lewa can't FC it yet there are scores worth way more that are manageable in comparison.
Drezi

Dexus wrote:

I personally would like to see the weighting system shifted to where the top five or so scores have a higher weighting. The taper effect seems to sudden and then draws out too long. Past the top 25 it should be where it hits that 1% weight. The list view should be shorter as well since I and others don't bother to look very far down in the list. With this hitting your top five would be more rewarding and players would have a better idea of placing scores around their top ten instead of continually replacing their very top performance. It seem useless to score anything less than your best to move anywhere. More consistent players would be rewarded as well since they would have several good scores placed instead of a handful of odd weighted scores. No mod is kind of crippled because of this fact; there's not enough high rating maps no mod that are relative to where I'm ranked. Big black SS 300pp and Lewa can't FC it yet there are scores worth way more that are manageable in comparison.
Yes please, your best scores should be closer to 100%, and more than 20-25 being weighted higher than 1% just rewards you a bit for setting lots of scores at your average level.

I also hate that passive 416 bonus PP, around half of that would be enough I think (achieved by stricter weighting like 0,999 instead of 0,9994 and not cutting the individual per map bonus in half).
Drezi

Dexus wrote:

there's not enough high rating maps no mod that are relative to where I'm ranked. Big black SS 300pp and Lewa can't FC it yet there are scores worth way more that are manageable in comparison.
I think part of the reason that nomod plays aren't worth as much at higher levels is cause you can't gain significant acc PP with OD7 and 8, compared to OD10 HR and DT plays + the issue with pattern difficulty.
sayonara_sekai
I've randomly jumped 500-1000 ranks 3 times today. What could be causing this? I get 20-40~ ranks from doing good on hard maps and then randomly sometimes it jumps up around 700 ranks.
Drezi
Actually I ran some numbers, and made a weighting that yielded roughly the same amount of PP for the typical player, tested with actual PP numbers.

I used =(COS(X/12,5)+1)/2 with this weighting the top25 performances would be weighted higher than they are now, below the top25 they would be weighted lower, and reach 0 around the top40th performance. I might have made mistakes when it comes to the actual numbers, but you get the idea.

This would mean that having lots of average performances wouldn't be as valuable, as having good ones in the top spots, and having an outstanding Top1 performance wouldn't be as important as it is now.

Blue line shows the current weighting, Red line is the one suggested.
uzzi

Drezi wrote:

Actually I ran some numbers, and made a weighting that yielded roughly the same amount of PP for the typical player, tested with actual PP numbers.

I used =(COS(X/12,5)+1)/2 with this weighting the top25 performances would be weighted higher than they are now, below the top25 they would be weighted lower, and reach 0 around the top40th performance. I might have made mistakes when it comes to the actual numbers, but you get the idea.

This would mean that having lots of average performances wouldn't be as valuable, as having good ones in the top spots, and having an outstanding Top1 performance wouldn't be as important as it is now.

Blue line shows the current weighting, Red line is the one suggested.
I see this being very good alternative to the current weighting system. Kind of anti-farm as well in a sense.
Amianki
I support that only because it would apply to me perfectly. :*)
silmarilen
i dont like the part where it hits 0
Zare


¯\_(ツ)_/¯
silmarilen
that's a really good score, but what are you trying to gain from posting it here?
Zare
i'm criticizing how overrated DT is
I feel like that should give like


170~ pp
GoldenWolf
What if I tell you you're underrating DT
silmarilen
i feel like it should give ~215 pp in the current system
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply