forum

Having trouble implimenting skin into game D:

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lunaa2548
As the title says, I am currently having difficulty implimenting my skin into my game. I've tried turning it into an .osk file already, and it still didn't work. Right now, I'm just trying to see how everything looks in game - the 2 image files in there are PNGs and the skin file is a .ini as it should be. If anyone has any insight of what I could be doing wrong, your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Redo_
It could be a bunch of things.

Check if you have spelled the filenames correctly, you can use the skinning wiki to see pretty much all of them.
Another issue could be your resolution while you're skinning @2x assets, which are only working on resolutions higher or equal than 800p. To fix that you can go into your game's folder and find the osu!.{windows_username_here}.cfg file, then change HighResolution: to 1.
This will force the game to load @2x assets, even if your in-game resolution is <800p.

Also moved your post to main skinning forum.
Topic Starter
Lunaa2548

Redo_ wrote:

It could be a bunch of things.

Check if you have spelled the filenames correctly, you can use the skinning wiki to see pretty much all of them.
Another issue could be your resolution while you're skinning @2x assets, which are only working on resolutions higher or equal than 800p. To fix that you can go into your game's folder and find the osu!.{windows_username_here}.cfg file, then change HighResolution: to 1.
This will force the game to load @2x assets, even if your in-game resolution is <800p.

Also moved your post to main skinning forum.
i did all that except for the last one. my issue is that even if it cant LOAD the skin would still show up in the folder unzipped as a regular folder. my issue is that it doesnt and doesnt even show up in the drop down window in game. on top of that, the file is still a .osk in the skins folder but was still taken from my desktop. the only way my boyfriend could find it to work is to drop the skin folder, unzipped, in the skins folder from now on and export it into the form of a .osk through the game.
Redo_
Tell me if I got it right.
When you import the skin like you usually would, nothing happens except the .osk file appearing in the skins folder. So you got it to show up in game through the unzipping method, and then exported it as .osk file from the games menu.

I'm assuming when you take that new exported file and import it, it still doesn't add itself to the game?

My initial thought would be some error with your skin.ini file, because these can cause importing errors. There should be a small message appearing in the bottom right of the main menu when you double click the .osk file saying something along the lines of "There was an error when importing your skin".
GrubDarlng
If you only need to quickly check how it looks in game; I'd take a different skin folder, already in .osk form, and replace all the files. Deleting the content of a different skin folder keeps the file format, and assuming your PNGs are named correctly it should still show up.
Topic Starter
Lunaa2548

Redo_ wrote:

Tell me if I got it right.
When you import the skin like you usually would, nothing happens except the .osk file appearing in the skins folder. So you got it to show up in game through the unzipping method, and then exported it as .osk file from the games menu.

I'm assuming when you take that new exported file and import it, it still doesn't add itself to the game?

My initial thought would be some error with your skin.ini file, because these can cause importing errors. There should be a small message appearing in the bottom right of the main menu when you double click the .osk file saying something along the lines of "There was an error when importing your skin".
exporting it and then trying to impliment wont work. like you said, the only way to get it to work was with putting it in manually as an unzipped folder. but yes, youve got it correct. as for the .ini folder, i copied/pasted the contents from a differnt skin. "There was an error when importing your skin" was stated however i cant imagine the issue being the .ini folder
JustABeginner
It could be within the skin.ini since you copy and pasted from another skin.
Try checking in the skin.ini file if there's any like commands that are left empty - that doesn't have values in it, or any commands that are invalid.

Here's the list of appropriate commands can be used in skin.ini: skin.ini
Redo_

Lunaa2548 wrote:

exporting it and then trying to impliment wont work. like you said, the only way to get it to work was with putting it in manually as an unzipped folder. but yes, youve got it correct. as for the .ini folder, i copied/pasted the contents from a differnt skin. "There was an error when importing your skin" was stated however i cant imagine the issue being the .ini folder
Then the problem is the skin.ini file. Most likely a line that wasn't written/formatted properly. If you were to upload that file to a site like pastebin I could easily find the error
Topic Starter
Lunaa2548

Redo_ wrote:

Lunaa2548 wrote:

Then the problem is the skin.ini file. Most likely a line that wasn't written/formatted properly. If you were to upload that file to a site like pastebin I could easily find the error
couldnt i just copy/paste it here? im not sure how to use paste bin lol
Redo_
Skin.ini files can get quite lengthy so I think it's better to avoid directly posting it here. You just need to paste the contents of the ini file onto pastebin, change the syntax highlighting to "INI file", and click create new paste. Then just paste the link here.

If you really need to paste the file directly on the forums then at least put the contents into a spoiler box
Topic Starter
Lunaa2548

Redo_ wrote:

Skin.ini files can get quite lengthy so I think it's better to avoid directly posting it here. You just need to paste the contents of the ini file onto pastebin, change the syntax highlighting to "INI file", and click create new paste. Then just paste the link here.
thank you for the advice! ill do it when i have time :D