forum

I'm just making things worse by acting like a rouge caveman.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LaymooDR
I'm just going to stop freaking out, as it just makes things worse for me.

I'll just leave these questions here, I guess.

Feel free to criticize me for having multiple lashouts.

1. I've confirmed that I can't do spacing. What should I do for the time being, since I won't be able to fix it?

2. I'm just too bipolar for this community. Would you agree on that?

3. Is there any hope to have one playable map? I'm asking, since I don't believe I'll ever be able to make something good and playable. I am certain that it will be impossible to make it both good and fun.

I'm going to go now. My rules on blocking anyone who attempts to dm me still stands, but I'm just going to be at my lowest pace of logging in, due to me not having to stand for how shit has been currently. You are free to respond to this random forum post though, so I guess that's fine. Can't really stop you.

I will admit, I get too angry. It was mostly school stress that got a bit too over bottled.
Patatitta
1- you can just not do spacing
2- mental illness is a fundamental pillar of OT, if you're too bipolar, that's better
3- yeah, for me in CTB i've reached that point where I can just pull something kinda playable, it just takes some time, and also to know people that can mod your map, they dont even need to be successful mappers or anything
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Patatitta wrote:

2- mental illness is a fundamental pillar of OT, if you're too bipolar, that's better
3- yeah, for me in CTB i've reached that point where I can just pull something kinda playable, it just takes some time, and also to know people that can mod your map, they dont even need to be successful mappers or anything
1. That just makes rankability impossible, as if it wasn't before. So, will making something good be impossible as well?
2. How is being too bipolar better? I'm lost.
3. I don't think I can actually get mods for anything I make, since my maps are completely unique in genre and style, which is random.
kaedori
1. spacing emphasis is pretty much half of mapping (the other being rhythm emphasis), so it's difficult to make a map without it. if you refuse to learn spacing, both taiko and mania don't require it. if you put enough effort into it, it'll gradually get better over time
2. the only person who's brought up any sort of disorders within the last month in off-topic is you. if you don't mention it, nobody will pay attention to it. unless someone is dedicated to hating you specifically, then just don't interact
3. again, if you continue working on it then eventually you will improve on both regards. you do need to consider accepting feedback from others, as this is the main way you can identify problems (this also applies to everything in life, not just osu-specific)
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

kaedori wrote:

1. spacing emphasis is pretty much half of mapping (the other being rhythm emphasis), so it's difficult to make a map without it. if you refuse to learn spacing, both taiko and mania don't require it. if you put enough effort into it, it'll gradually get better over time
2. the only person who's brought up any sort of disorders within the last month in off-topic is you. if you don't mention it, nobody will pay attention to it. unless someone is dedicated to hating you specifically, then just don't interact
3. again, if you continue working on it then eventually you will improve on both regards. you do need to consider accepting feedback from others, as this is the main way you can identify problems (this also applies to everything in life, not just osu-specific)
1. I tried, but I just don't seem to get it to click. I need to avoid overlaps by freehanding, which causes inconsistent spacing. I use distance snap to combat this, but it makes overlaps more prominent, as I try and follow slider implied movement.
2. But again, how is too bipolar good?
3. I tried to accept feedback, but I was completely mental, so I deterred everyone away from me by being an ass. Plus, there are no modding queues that take my form of maps, in terms of song genre. I usually have brain trauma fog, which makes it impossible for me to catch or do anything properly.
Ymir

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

2- mental illness is a fundamental pillar of OT, if you're too bipolar that's better
His point is that you do fit in this community, because a lot of us are also like you.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

-Remi wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

2- mental illness is a fundamental pillar of OT, if you're too bipolar that's better
His point is that you do fit in this community, because a lot of us are also like you.
Huh. That explains a lot.

I must ask, if you know anything about mapping, how could I end up making a rankable or even good map without spacing? It sounds like a dumb question, I know. It is just impossible for me to get spacing to click. I've tried everything.
WitherMite

LaymooDR wrote:

-Remi wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I must ask, if you know anything about mapping, how could I end up making a rankable or even good map without spacing? It sounds like a dumb question, I know. It is just impossible for me to get spacing to click. I've tried everything.
just wondering, when you hear consistent spacing, do you think people mean every thing needs to be the same or similar distance spacing?

Something to think about is that visual spacing is different, and refers to slider borders instead of their heads and ends, basically just how far apart everything looks should be similar. What I do is take the smallest gap between objects and try to keep that mostly the same, anything larger can be however far apart I want to have good looking patterns.
You can manipulate DS all you want to fit the song, what people mean by consistent spacing is that DS changes should follow consistent logic based on the song's intensity. It also doesn't need to be perfect, players only notice big changes. nobody can really tell much of a difference between a 2.4 and 2.6 DS 1/2 jump for example.

If you need to nudge a slider or circle to avoid unintentional overlaps you can do that just fine as long as it isn't an easy/normal where time distance equality is required (overlaps are expected in those anyway).

I just say this because I worry you're overthinking spacing and trying to make it perfect in a super limiting way.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

WitherMite wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

-Remi wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

just wondering, when you hear consistent spacing, do you think people mean every thing needs to be the same or similar distance spacing?

Something to think about is that visual spacing is different, and refers to slider borders instead of their heads and ends, basically just how far apart everything looks should be similar. What I do is take the smallest gap between objects and try to keep that mostly the same, anything larger can be however far apart I want to have good looking patterns.
You can manipulate DS all you want to fit the song, what people mean by consistent spacing is that DS changes should follow consistent logic based on the song's intensity. It also doesn't need to be perfect, players only notice big changes. nobody can really tell much of a difference between a 2.4 and 2.6 DS 1/2 jump for example.

If you need to nudge a slider or circle to avoid unintentional overlaps you can do that just fine as long as it isn't an easy/normal where time distance equality is required (overlaps are expected in those anyway).

I just say this because I worry you're overthinking spacing and trying to make it perfect in a super limiting way.
Yes, consistency as in the same distance. I can't really fix the overlaps without ruining the consistency of the spacing. ImproveMint on the osz told me to follow this if I wanted to get a rankable map in the future. Spacing seems to be impossible for me though, so I'm starting to doubt his teachings.

And I do follow song intensity with distance snap, but distance snap makes overlaps more difficult to avoid.

I sometimes wonder if I even had the potential to make a good map in the first place.
WitherMite

LaymooDR wrote:

WitherMite wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

-Remi wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Yes, consistency as in the same distance. I can't really fix the overlaps without ruining the consistency of the spacing. ImproveMint on the osz told me to follow this if I wanted to get a rankable map in the future. Spacing seems to be impossible for me though, so I'm starting to doubt his teachings.

And I do follow song intensity with distance snap, but distance snap makes overlaps more difficult to avoid.

I sometimes wonder if I even had the potential to make a good map in the first place.
I don't think you read what I wrote, I said that doesn't matter, and is likely not what the person teaching you meant. the spacing changes have to be consistent and make sense, small differences in distance snap are less relevant than the visual spacing and patterning of the objects, since players only actually notice big changes in spacing, while its easy to see imperfect patterns and ugly overlaps at a glance.

honestly using DS isn't that helpful on high diffs, you can just glance at the top right with the object highlighted, see if its roughly similar to other parts with the same intensity, and move it around a bit to look good. As spacing gets higher, you can have larger differences in DS while playing the exact same.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

WitherMite wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

WitherMite wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

-Remi wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

I don't think you read what I wrote, I said that doesn't matter, and is likely not what the person teaching you meant. the spacing changes have to be consistent and make sense, small differences in distance snap are less relevant than the visual spacing and patterning of the objects, since players only actually notice big changes in spacing, while its easy to see imperfect patterns and ugly overlaps at a glance.
I did, but make of it as you wish.
Patatitta

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

1. That just makes rankability impossible, as if it wasn't before. So, will making something good be impossible as well?
3. I don't think I can actually get mods for anything I make, since my maps are completely unique in genre and style, which is random.

1- thought you were talking about forum text spacing
2- OT is fucked already, making more schizoposts would be normal, the wierd would be making any threads
3- you can still get mods, just get someone to play it, say, this pattern is unplayable, and then fixing it
Ymir
Actually I wonder if I could mod despite having very little mapping knowledge.
Not really mod I guess since I imagine I do need mapping experience, but point out some things.
Patatitta

-Remi wrote:

Not really mod I guess since I imagine I do need mapping experience, but point out some things.
yeah, you can, just play the map, go, "yeah this does not work" or "this feels misstimed" and that's good enough feedback
Ymir

Patatitta wrote:

-Remi wrote:

yeah, you can, just play the map, go, "yeah this does not work" or "this feels misstimed" and that's good enough feedback
Ah okay thanks for the help, because I was worried if that was not allowed or something, considering it could be misleading or less useful feedback.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Patatitta wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

2- OT is fucked already, making more schizoposts would be normal, the wierd would be making any threads
3- you can still get mods, just get someone to play it, say, this pattern is unplayable, and then fixing it
So, in that case, what do I do, since it's impossible for me to get spacing on my mapping to click like everything else did?
Patatitta

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

So, in that case, what do I do, since it's impossible for me to get spacing on my mapping to click like everything else did?
map more, you will get it eventually, you seem pretty new to the game, so, it probably will take some time to get used to it, you wont get it right away but if you really want to do that you must keep trying
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Patatitta wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

map more, you will get it eventually, you seem pretty new to the game, so, it probably will take some time to get used to it, you wont get it right away but if you really want to do that you must keep trying
Nah, I played offline for like almost 6 years now. I didn't make my account here until a couple months ago, when I got over my fear of the internet.
Patatitta

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

Nah, I played offline for like almost 6 years now. I didn't make my account here until a couple months ago, when I got over my fear of the internet.
did you play osu actively for 6 years or did you play osu for the first time 6 years ago?

still, my point stands
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Patatitta wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Patatitta wrote:

did you play osu actively for 6 years or did you play osu for the first time 6 years ago?

still, my point stands
I played it actively. Almost every day until my old PC that had it had an OS corruption. That also made me lose all of my old maps.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR
What do I do now, now that my mapping has been screwed up by an unranked mapper's bad advice?
Polyspora
Can we move this thread to mapping?
Lyawi
yes