forum

[Archived] [Archived] Osu softlocks when error moving beatmap

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
1OmqR
For some reason, osu softlocks me when I'm downloading a beatmap, the ones that I detected so far have nothing to do with each other. The first map, was Dyscontrolled Galaxy, which downloaded normally, but when opened said "Error While moving file" and some error code. Then I tried to drag the beatmap into osu but when I did, the same error popped up, but I was softlocked on the screen I was on in osu. When that happens, Osu just cant move. I tried Alt F4, I tried opening cmd to crash it, but when I click on their icons on the task bar, osu stays on top. I'm guessing this is because of the error prompt, which I cant close because dragging the mouse over osu makes it disappear. Only solution was to restart. It happened to me again today, downloading the big black. ill make a vid for it soon because i cant replicate it(I CAN STILL ACCESS START MENU)

EDIT 1: I just opened osu, and it said that there was a change in the song folder
EDIT 2: I downloaded 5+ beatmaps before this happened, and now they don't exist in my
EDIT 3: Vid link, i was able to replicate this by dragging in a file that i already had in osu, but the bug happened when i didnt have the beatmap in the game before
downloads folder
Video or screenshot showing the problem:
https://files.fm/u/2bw8jzapp

osu! version: Stable 20230727.9 (latest)
Topic Starter
1OmqR
;/
Jason X
Well, since you just replied with ":/" I'll assume the problem has not solved itself.

1OmqR wrote:

"Error While moving file" and some error code
It'd be good to know what error code it was, if you could make a screenshot of it, or if need be a photo of the screen, that would help figuring out the problem.

The rest with the softlock kind of sounds to me like osu was locking you on the error popup, waiting for you to press a button on that popup, cant really confirm this theorie on my end.

The video showing the problem is no longer available, if yo still have it could you re-upload it?
Possibly to google drive or a different service that doesn't put an expiration date on the content (Like google drive, dropbox, mega)
Topic Starter
1OmqR

Jason X wrote:

Well, since you just replied with ":/" I'll assume the problem has not solved itself.

1OmqR wrote:

"Error While moving file" and some error code
It'd be good to know what error code it was, if you could make a screenshot of it, or if need be a photo of the screen, that would help figuring out the problem.

The rest with the softlock kind of sounds to me like osu was locking you on the error popup, waiting for you to press a button on that popup, cant really confirm this theorie on my end.

The video showing the problem is no longer available, if yo still have it could you re-upload it?
Possibly to google drive or a different service that doesn't put an expiration date on the content (Like google drive, dropbox, mega)
I had to sell my computer and got a new one, so i dont have the video file. The Softlock basically makes me stuck on osu where i cant tab out, but can open windows menu, cant alt f4 or open any other files, forcing me to power off manually, but geforce experience overlay worked fine so i was able to capture a video. If i can get it to happen again, i will post a new vid. Ty

EDIT: I found old footage of the glitch, turns out its not an error code but an error then beatmap id

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jHb_r1Tx1Ix0YjFRj2VrQ_MZN-Uovo3x/view?usp=sharing
BlueChinchompa
You can try also using something like Streamable or youtube (unlisted video)

Topic Starter
1OmqR
I gave you access, link should work now

EDIT: i was able to do the bug again in latest release of stable. Here's link to fresh footage of bug: https://streamable.com/48p26n
Topic Starter
1OmqR
bump
Lyawi

1OmqR wrote:

bump
Moved your thread back to first Help forums (as it got inactive, it moved itself archived)
Blushing
So the softlocking is because you have a cmd error prompt being shoved in the screen with osu! being ther as well. We can resolve this by changing the resolution in the settings to windowed, and then make it small, then move osu! out of the center of the screen. Hopefully the cmd error message appear not on the osu client so you can click out of them, if you are able to click out of them then you should be good to play.

Though, that error message on the beatmaps themself should not be happening.

How are your beatmaps downloading? Are they folders, .osz, something else? Are you downloading specific beatmaps that are quite challenging or are broken?
Topic Starter
1OmqR
basically, I recreated by importing a .osk of a map that i already had by opening file or dragging into osu. Clicking the file on chrome says "removed" and that makes sense, but opening the file causes in other ways makes this happen. I drag my files to osu to import usually and I found this when I imported the same map twice on accident the first time.

There aren't really specific beatmaps that this happens with. I believe windowed works but I don't like playing windowed, and it shouldn't be possible for me to have to restart my computer after clicking on a downloaded map twice on accident.

Error because of fullscreen is what ive come up with, but i dont think it would be too hard to fix

You can replicate this bug by downloading a beatmap (in fullscreen), clicking from downloads to open, then drag it to osu from the downloads. This is what i did to get it to happen recently, but the first time i dragged the file from file explorer and not chrome.
Blushing
Not entirely sure, Ive never had any issues when accidentily dragging in a song ive already had downloaded and imported. If you go into your songs folder, do you see a folder named failed or when you open osu! do you get an error or something?

I even tried recreating it with the beatmap you had the issue with and I could not reproduce it.

My first guess is to make sure that your folder/file permissions are correct for osu!
Topic Starter
1OmqR
After doing the bug open the game gives the notification prompt that says something along the lines of "dont import maps when game is closed".

Ive never denied a permission requested by osu and it never prompts me after first few launches.

Im positive this isnt beatmap based and can be done with any beatmap

The files seem okay with all the map imports, no files out of place just songs

I will make a video of this happening from from import time to the softlock and post in a few minutes.

EDIT: heres vid link. Idk if ive mentioned but sound plays which is why you see me muting it before dragging map in. This time though the error while moving didn't pop up when i launched after doing bug.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iTR5VHAgrTApyAY5uG5psg_x9S1ZM7nQ/view?usp=sharing
Topic Starter
1OmqR
bump v2
Topic Starter
1OmqR
Bruh happended to me last night
Blushing
Ive tried reproducing it a many of times. I do not receive any errors or popups like you do. I implore you to make sure that your file permissions are correct and that there is not any other issues going on.

If you want to, when this issue happens again, you can post the contents of the runtime.log file in to the thread here for more visibility of whats happening, but I'd also like to implore you to stop trying to download files youve already downloaded and installed.