forum

[Proposal - Metadata] Metadata with stylization should have the unstylized title/artist in tags

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zembonics
If the song title of a mapset contains periods, commas, etc., the unpunctuated title must be put in tags.
It is much simpler to search song titles without needing to type the exact stylization.

For example, a map of the song "B.B.K.K.B.K.K." should have "bbkkbkk" in the tags, "K.Y.A.F.A." should have "kyafa", etc.

Mapsets with stylized tags/sources should also put the unstylized versions into tags

For example, "O.N.G.E.K.I." should have "ongeki" in the tags, "j-rock" should have "jrock", "TANO*C" should have "tano c", etc.

I know people have been doing this for ages, but I want it to be enforced into the rules of the ranking criteria.
Hivie
this guideline exists:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Any metadata that contains ambiguous or hard-to-write unicode characters should be accompanied by easily searchable variations or romanisations of these words in the beatmap's tags.
i personally think it's sufficient but if it needs extra clarity then sure
Protastic101
I think it'd be better moved to rules in that case cause searching for maps without non-stylized metadata in tags can be quite annoying.
Shad0wStar
although atm as a guideline it’s still pretty good, +1 protastic’s idea to change to a rule
lewski
can get behind protastic's change but

Zembonics wrote:

"Hachigatsu, Bou, Tsukiakari" should have "hachigatsu bou tsukiakari"
what's the point of this one? it only helps people who search for "hachigatsu bou tsukiakari" with the quotes and at that level of precision they can honestly just search for the actual title

searching for hachigatsu bou tsukiakari without the quotes finds the song already without any help from tags

which actually makes me think moving this to rules would require a clear definition for what counts as stylised to avoid forcing people to add a bunch of useless tags, so unless someone can be bothered to come up with one I don't think anything should change here
-White
"Hachigatsu, Bou, Tsukiakari" isn't a good example because regardless of whether or not the commas are included the osu search will still find it since when you have a space they are treated as independent search terms.

Basically, when you search for "Hachigatsu Bou Tsukiakari" it searches for anything with metadata that includes "Hachigatsu" and/or "Bou" and/or "Tsukiakari" and tries to find maps that fit these search criteria the best.

The only time it would matter is if you put quotations around whatever search term and then it will search for an exact match.

"B.B.K.K.B.K.K." is a better example of the issue you're mentioning because without the term in the tag the game will search for this whole phrase because there isn't a space to separate the search terms.
Topic Starter
Zembonics
oh yeah whoops, removing that as an example since it doesnt apply
Ryu Sei
Been doing this since mapping stuffs like DEN-ON-BU so it's a good idea to enforce this as rule.
SilentWuffer
agree, another example would be L.F.O by aran (only two out of four ranked sets of this song have lfo in tags)
Okoratu
this is covered in community/forums/topics/1894663?n=1 (see tags section), archiving this post for the time being