Should I come back to map uploads?

Yes
30.77%
No
69.23%
Total votes: 13
Topic Starter
LaymooDR
I know I might never get ranked, which is my main goal of one single mapset, but I wanted to see what the community thinks I should do.

Rhythm
Spacing
Contrast
Playfield Usage
Visuals

Those are what I need to fix, but I don't know how to tackle and fix them properly, so I'll ask. Is there a chance that these issues can't be fixed?

If I should come back to uploading maps, what is your advice to chase after ranked or loved more efficiently? I am going to go after my dream until the end. If it can't happen, that will be it for my mapping era on this site.

I just never wanted to stop chasing it. I would have really loved to go for either of those categories, but it might not be worth it now. Still, I'll keep going and persevere until mapping says it's over.

Be brutally honest with me here. Will I become a good enough mapper later down the line? Will I ever get at least one ranked or loved map in the future? Is being a mapper really worth it?
lewski

LaymooDR wrote:

Is there a chance that these issues can't be fixed?
every issue you can have in a map that isn't outright caused by the game itself is inherently fixable

actually fixing them comes down to your own effort

LaymooDR wrote:

If I should come back to uploading maps, what is your advice to chase after ranked or loved more efficiently?
pursue improvement first and foremost until you're at a point where the maps you make are clearly above minimum rankable quality (and give up on the idea of "chasing after loved" because that's not how the category works)

pushing for ranked before that point mainly brings you pain and disappointment and takes up a bunch of time that you could have used on something that's both more fun and more productive

how do you know you're there? you'll be able to tell that what you're making is better than bottom of the barrel ranked maps

how do you pursue improvement?
  1. try to make each map your best one yet, get constructive feedback on each one, move on and apply the feedback in the next map you make
  2. try to be in places where people talk about mapping and absorb information
  3. give other people feedback and try to figure out how maps you like work in order to improve your analysis skill
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

lewski wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

Is there a chance that these issues can't be fixed?
every issue you can have in a map that isn't outright caused by the game itself is inherently fixable

actually fixing them comes down to your own effort

LaymooDR wrote:

If I should come back to uploading maps, what is your advice to chase after ranked or loved more efficiently?
pursue improvement first and foremost until you're at a point where the maps you make are clearly above minimum rankable quality (and give up on the idea of "chasing after loved" because that's not how the category works)

pushing for ranked before that point mainly brings you pain and disappointment and takes up a bunch of time that you could have used on something that's both more fun and more productive

how do you know you're there? you'll be able to tell that what you're making is better than bottom of the barrel ranked maps

how do you pursue improvement?
  1. try to make each map your best one yet, get constructive feedback on each one, move on and apply the feedback in the next map you make
  2. try to be in places where people talk about mapping and absorb information
  3. give other people feedback and try to figure out how maps you like work in order to improve your analysis skill
So, how do I get loved anyway? I don't know about submitting my own map on there, since I never got concrete proof that that is true, as I saw it talked about around these very forums.

Also, I am going to put all of my possible effort in fixing the issues, but I'm asking the question, what if, even with every ounce of effort, that the issues somehow persist?

Also, I feel like these questions...

LaymooDR wrote:

I know I might never get ranked, which is my main goal of one single mapset, but I wanted to see what the community thinks I should do.

Rhythm
Spacing
Contrast
Playfield Usage
Visuals

Those are what I need to fix, but I don't know how to tackle and fix them properly, so I'll ask. Is there a chance that these issues can't be fixed?

If I should come back to uploading maps, what is your advice to chase after ranked or loved more efficiently? I am going to go after my dream until the end. If it can't happen, that will be it for my mapping era on this site.

I just never wanted to stop chasing it. I would have really loved to go for either of those categories, but it might not be worth it now. Still, I'll keep going and persevere until mapping says it's over.

Be brutally honest with me here. Will I become a good enough mapper later down the line? Will I ever get at least one ranked or loved map in the future? Is being a mapper really worth it?
These, I feel were not really answered, but I don't really mind. Answer what you want, I guess.
chaser01
wasted my time mapping dont do it
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

chaser01 wrote:

wasted my time mapping dont do it
Well, I can't confirm unless there are more people who say something similar to this. I'll take your reply at face value.
Mentee
I vouch for chaser01 ^^

But for real though, this is like the 100000000000000th forum post, discord message or comment I've heard you say about uploading maps and such-- just make up your mind?

Not exactly sure why this is even a question in the first place (not saying it's a bad one, i respect it but hearing something similar to this over and over and over again just makes it annoying and attention seeking at least imo, and that's coming from me who's been keeping track of your behavior from .osz -> share's server -> osu! reddit server).

When I was new along with many others when we first started mapping uploading maps is a given since we have a goal of ranking our first map (or just for improvement, usually a mix of both where you'll be hyper focusing ranked first then shift towards improving since you realize how bad your old maps are looking back on them)

The way that I see it, if you don't upload maps you won't be able to look back on how much you've improved. (in other words, it's completely up to you at the end of the day-- you shouldn't do x or y just because of one won over than the other in a vote, do what you wanna do and see what works for you instead of asking what others think since that will not help imo-- at least in the context of this question)

Also to answer your questions at the bottom:
- It's completely up to you if you can become a good enough mapper down the line. Nobody can do it for you or speak for you and it's all up to your determination and hard work to make this happen.
- Same answer as above. If you were to keep mapping with the mindset of improving sure this can definitely happen. (or this could be done by mapping more and garnering experienceor some luck factor falls into it, but overall it's just patience and time being involved here)
- Nobody in the mapping scene/community can answer this for you. Some will say as a joke that being a mapper was a waste of their time for whatever reason, some would say that it helped them with listening to the music in a more detailed way, etc etc.

Simply put, there's so many "what if" and "will i" talk instead of actually doing something. Actions speak louder than words. If you want to do something do it, if you don't want to do something don't do it.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Kokoro Natsume wrote:

I vouch for chaser01 ^^

But for real though, this is like the 100000000000000th forum post, discord message or comment I've heard you say about uploading maps and such-- just make up your mind?

Not exactly sure why this is even a question in the first place (not saying it's a bad one, i respect it but hearing something similar to this over and over and over again just makes it annoying and attention seeking at least imo, and that's coming from me who's been keeping track of your behavior from .osz -> share's server -> osu! reddit server).

When I was new along with many others when we first started mapping uploading maps is a given since we have a goal of ranking our first map (or just for improvement, usually a mix of both where you'll be hyper focusing ranked first then shift towards improving since you realize how bad your old maps are looking back on them)

The way that I see it, if you don't upload maps you won't be able to look back on how much you've improved. (in other words, it's completely up to you at the end of the day-- you shouldn't do x or y just because of one won over than the other in a vote, do what you wanna do and see what works for you instead of asking what others think since that will not help imo-- at least in the context of this question)

Also to answer your questions at the bottom:
- It's completely up to you if you can become a good enough mapper down the line. Nobody can do it for you or speak for you and it's all up to your determination and hard work to make this happen.
- Same answer as above. If you were to keep mapping with the mindset of improving sure this can definitely happen.
- Nobody in the mapping scene/community can answer this for you. Some will say as a joke that being a mapper was a waste of their time for whatever reason, some would say that it helped them with listening to the music in a more detailed way, etc etc.

Simply put, there's so many "what if" and "will i" talk instead of actually doing something. Actions speak louder than words. If you want to do something do it, if you don't want to do something don't do it.
I'll respectfully say that I'm not attention seeking at all. I'm simply just asking for community input. I apologize if it seems that way to anyone. I've had that issue with Voidedosu, so I'm trying to clear things up with him, but he never responded to my PM, so I'm kind of scared about how it will go regarding a friendship with him, as I don't want lies about me to be spread around. About my behavior, I'm not going refuse to take accountability. I'm fully aware that the behavior back then was not acceptable and I'm trying to make my Osu! journey work with how my mentality works. Trust me, I'm trying my best to make myself acceptable to the community.

EDIT: Eh, I've made my mind. I won't upload. Even more, I will not do maps anymore. I'm sticking to gameplay. I no longer feel confident anymore and I think my dream is long gone.
[[[[[[
bro you really, really need to ignore people's opinion and just upload stuffs for the hell of it

contrary to popular beliefs, as long as you're not pushing stuffs to ranked, you don't need to interact with the community when you're mapping stuffs, hell most of my favorite mappers barely interact with anyone and only upload "for graveyard" maps.

you don't even need to improve at mapping either, since the concept of a "good mapper" is subjective af.

tldr: just ignore the haters lol
Ravener
I have a dream of becoming a mapper too and rank a set, in fact the first map I uploaded is the map I'd love to push for ranked.

I struggle with all of the points you mentioned, I'm that person who opens the editor, tries to imagine a pattern and feels like god damn it I can't think of anyway to lay down the objects and quit the editor.

I've accepted that it is hard and will take a long time to even get close to ranking that one set, that I might have to remap it many times.

At the same time there are other maps I did not upload yet that I'm going to be practicing on, so it's not all just on that one set. I just want to see that one set slowly evolve to rankable quality.

It's tedious, a long term commitment, you start to change habits, for example I just now started to pay attention to the idea of "listening to music" like actually hearing everything, I more easily notice now that songs are using "the kick snare pattern" for example, since I learned that when I was researching about hitsounding. Everytime I listen to music I imagine myself that I might be making a map out of this.

My advice is to go on, have fun, don't worry too much and definitely keep practicing. When I felt like I couldn't lay down any objects, I said screw it and filled up a map, after one map I started to feel A LOT better already, and it felt so much easier to go back and re-arrange the objects to my likings after the map is filled instead of thinking on a blank canvas. You can start to critically analyze your own creation after it's made, so don't think too hard when you can't make any decisions yet. Throw some objects, analyze, re-arrange and keep on analyzing other maps too, you will keep getting better.

pishifat's videos on YouTube are also extremely helpful on this topic, but you do need to start mapping, because those videos are not going to help if you don't put them in to use, since I found myself in this cycle of watching videos, opening the editor, nope I don't have an idea yet, go back to watching more videos, and that's wrong, lay down some objects and keep moving, every little map you make evolves you.

Mapping is just like Art, to learn drawing you have to keep making random sketches/doodles all the time.

Finding friends also helps, interacting with new mappers you can relate to is also a great way to motivate each other to improve.

So the final answer is yes you can fix those flaws and yes keep uploading maps and have fun.

osu! in itself is this kind of game all the way anyway, like you can't ask "how to get good at the game" sure there are some little pointers here and there that helps but ultimately it comes down to "play more" and I can say the same goes to mapping, there are some theory fundementals to keep in mind but other than that you have to keep "mapping more" for it to become natural.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Ravener wrote:

I have a dream of becoming a mapper too and rank a set, in fact the first map I uploaded is the map I'd love to push for ranked.

I struggle with all of the points you mentioned, I'm that person who opens the editor, tries to imagine a pattern and feels like god damn it I can't think of anyway to lay down the objects and quit the editor.

I've accepted that it is hard and will take a long time to even get close to ranking that one set, that I might have to remap it many times.

At the same time there are other maps I did not upload yet that I'm going to be practicing on, so it's not all just on that one set. I just want to see that one set slowly evolve to rankable quality.

It's tedious, a long term commitment, you start to change habits, for example I just now started to pay attention to the idea of "listening to music" like actually hearing everything, I more easily notice now that songs are using "the kick snare pattern" for example, since I learned that when I was researching about hitsounding. Everytime I listen to music I imagine myself that I might be making a map out of this.

My advice is to go on, have fun, don't worry too much and definitely keep practicing. When I felt like I couldn't lay down any objects, I said screw it and filled up a map, after one map I started to feel A LOT better already, and it felt so much easier to go back and re-arrange the objects to my likings after the map is filled instead of thinking on a blank canvas. You can start to critically analyze your own creation after it's made, so don't think too hard when you can't make any decisions yet. Throw some objects, analyze, re-arrange and keep on analyzing other maps too, you will keep getting better.

pishifat's videos on YouTube are also extremely helpful on this topic, but you do need to start mapping, because those videos are not going to help if you don't put them in to use, since I found myself in this cycle of watching videos, opening the editor, nope I don't have an idea yet, go back to watching more videos, and that's wrong, lay down some objects and keep moving, every little map you make evolves you.

Mapping is just like Art, to learn drawing you have to keep making random sketches/doodles all the time.

Finding friends also helps, interacting with new mappers you can relate to is also a great way to motivate each other to improve.

So the final answer is yes you can fix those flaws and yes keep uploading maps and have fun.

osu! in itself is this kind of game all the way anyway, like you can't ask "how to get good at the game" sure there are some little pointers here and there that helps but ultimately it comes down to "play more" and I can say the same goes to mapping, there are some theory fundementals to keep in mind but other than that you have to keep "mapping more" for it to become natural.
About that, pishifat is the reason why I previously quit. His video, I was reminded, had failed to mention a crucial detail, which was never talked about in one of the videos on the editor. I decided to quit until I could get some actual reliable sources to help me, since I wasted my time following steps that was never mentioned in full.

I almost completely quit, but I was told by ImproveMint that my recent map had improved rhythm somewhat, so the fact that I somehow made progress makes me willing to give mapping one last shot.

Also, this is the last time I'm going to say it. I never had an account for close to 5 years and only made my account months ago. I mapped a ton in seclusion because of my fear of the internet. I now regret ever taking too long to get over my fear and I feel like I made improvement near impossible, since I was secluded for too long.
RatCoffee
do you enjoy mapping? if so, absolutely. if not, there's no reason to keep doing something you don't like

i will note that this game seems to average 1 beatmap uploaded or updated every minute (65 beatmaps were uploaded or updated between 7 and 8 AM my time according to beatmaps page) and most of those other users don't seem to be super invested in getting the community's opinion on whether they should upload beatmaps or not, to the point of making several threads about it over the last couple months.

maybe its worth thinking about this fact; that you've got enough... "anxiety" i guess, about uploading that you need others' input whereas scores of other mappers do not. just something to think about
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

MagicDragon wrote:

do you enjoy mapping? if so, absolutely. if not, there's no reason to keep doing something you don't like

i will note that this game seems to average 1 beatmap uploaded or updated every minute (65 beatmaps were uploaded or updated between 7 and 8 AM my time according to beatmaps page) and most of those other users don't seem to be super invested in getting the community's opinion on whether they should upload beatmaps or not, to the point of making several threads about it over the last couple months.

maybe its worth thinking about this fact; that you've got enough... "anxiety" i guess, about uploading that you need others' input whereas scores of other mappers do not. just something to think about
Don't get me wrong, I love mapping. I want it to be my main gig on here, but I no longer know how to go through with it.