forum

A GUIDE ON HOW TO MAKE A SIMPLE HITSOUNDS

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TritoBandito

How everyone makes Hitsounds varies from person to person, this is just my method and something that has worked for me quite consistently.

If you don't like reading there is also a very comprehensive and easy Youtube-Video made by Net0! Feel free to check it out! Net0s' Hitsounding Video

First things first, I'd recommend trying to learn the shortcuts to change Samples and Hitsound-Type.
Here is a quick list of all the Shortcuts you'll need to know

w - adds whistle
e - adds finish
r - adds clap
--------------------------------------
ctrl + q - switches to auto additions
ctrl + w - switches to normal additions
ctrl + e - switches to soft additions
ctrl + r - switches to drum additions
---------------------------------------
shift + q - switches to auto sampleset
shift + w - switches to normal sampleset
shift + e - switches to soft sampleset
shift + r - switches to drum sampleset

Of course you can always just manually change everything by clicking the Icons on the sides but this will make your life much easier!

Here are some explanations as to what each Sampleset, aswell as each individual Hitsound should generally be used for

In case you don't know what each Individual Drum-Sound sounds like, here is a quick comprehensive Video explaining them all!
Drum Kit Explanation

soft-hitnormal - this is your basic normal hitsound, should be used for almost everything that isn't addative. Could be changed for something that fits the music as a default sample, but I wouldn't recommend it as players don't like when this is changed

soft-hitwhistle - for melodies and vocals

soft-hitfinish - crashes

soft-hitclap - snare

normal-hitnormal - I tend to avoid using this as it is a very intense sound and often doesnt have any function in basic hitsounds, some Mappers use this as an alternative for the Snare Sample!

normal-hitwhistle - same as soft-hitwhistle but just there in case you cant use soft addition

normal-hitfinish - same as soft-hitfinish but just there in case you cant use soft addition

normal-hitclap - same as soft-hitclap but just there in case you cant use soft addition

drum-hitwhistle - same as soft-hitwhistle but just there in case you cant use soft addition

drum-hitnormal - Kick

drum-hitfinish - low tom

drum-hitclap - high tom

Sampleset - Sets the current sampleset youre using, this changes ALL THE HITSOUNDS including hitnormal
Additions - Keeps the current samplesets hitnormal while changing clap, finish and whistle

-------------------------------------------------------------
When starting a map make sure your timing points are set to this

When opening the Timing panel you can change the Hitsound Volume by clicking the Audio Tab
Volumes should be changed accoring to the songs intensity, when kept simple id recommend going from 30% to 80%
This can vary depending on the songs volume and intensity, try to trust your ears here

As a parting gift I will leave you with my collection of Hitsounds I generally use to hitsound most of my maps.
The contents of the Folder can be fully copy pasted into your map directory and used as is!

Of course feel free to add and change things as you like!

Hitsound Files

Quick ending Note. This is pretty much only for the simplest of Hitsounds, used in Anime Maps and Songs that don't require something more substantial.
But it is a good base to work off of to get the basics down before you try to do something more complex.

For something more complex I'll refer you to Net0s' Hitsounding-Guide!

Net0s' Hitsounding-Guide
Bazuso
😳
👉👈
[[[[[[
this is actually so useful wth
powerplayer75
this is going to sound dumb but where do i find out what crash, snare, kick, and tom are
Kiwahara

powerplayer75 wrote:

this is going to sound dumb but where do i find out what crash, snare, kick, and tom are
Search for “drum parts and its sounds” on youtube
WitherMite

powerplayer75 wrote:

here are some sample sounds, different sets will sound different
crash refers to a type of cymbal, usually used for emphasis, since its loud and sustained

snare drums generally sound like this, they have wires (called the snares) on the bottom that affect the tone

"kick" refers to bass drum, since you use a pedal to play it. It is the lowest drum in the set

toms come in different sizes, making different pitches
high

low

usually kick/bass drum and snare are used for the main beat of the song (along with the ride cymbals and hihats), with crash cymbals coming in for accents, and toms are usually used in fills, where the drummer plays something different from the main groove.
Topic Starter
TritoBandito

powerplayer75 wrote:

people in the comments already explained but thanks to that question, imma quickly find a video to add that explains the different drum sounds!
MrRainbowDoge
ok somebody fr needs to pin this, this post is too useful
Ravener
Almost similar to the knowledge I accumulated so far, except I've been using the idea of "claps" for kick/snare. Basically normal claps are kicks and soft claps are snares.

What do you think of this pattern compared to yours? I've also been strong on the idea of "don't replace hitnormals" but then you are using the drum hitnormal for the kicks meanwhile I keep the soft hitnormal and add a clap addition for the kick.

Also very new to hitsounding/mapping so I was trying to find an initial good style that the majority uses and so far I've settled on that style but I'd love to learn what others are doing and their reasons for doing so.
lewski

Ravener wrote:

Almost similar to the knowledge I accumulated so far, except I've been using the idea of "claps" for kick/snare. Basically normal claps are kicks and soft claps are snares.

What do you think of this pattern compared to yours? I've also been strong on the idea of "don't replace hitnormals" but then you are using the drum hitnormal for the kicks meanwhile I keep the soft hitnormal and add a clap addition for the kick.
every style of hitsounding sucks in some way u just have to pick ur poison

if u put both kicks and snares on claps, players with the same clap in every sampleset in their skin will get odd feedback

if u put a kick (or anything, really) on a hitnormal, it just doesn't exist for most players and if it isn't a loud sample it destroys feedback for anyone that doesn't have hitsounds disabled

if u put kicks anywhere else u cant use them properly

the entire system is broken you just can't win
Topic Starter
TritoBandito

Ravener wrote:

There is a bunch of ppl who use different sample set claps to differentiate snare from kick which is definitely fine.
The reason I say say dont switch hitnormal and then use drumhitnormal it's a: its easier since its very common b: there is often times where i tend to actually use the other samples of samplesets c: there is no good way of doing kicks

lewski wrote:

every style of hitsounding sucks in some way u just have to pick ur poison

if u put both kicks and snares on claps, players with the same clap in every sampleset in their skin will get odd feedback

if u put a kick (or anything, really) on a hitnormal, it just doesn't exist for most players and if it isn't a loud sample it destroys feedback for anyone that doesn't have hitsounds disabled

if u put kicks anywhere else u cant use them properly

the entire system is broken you just can't win
This.
Topic Starter
TritoBandito
bump
Corne2Plum3

TritoBandito wrote:

bump
Why are you bumping this?
foss
Really helpful guide, thanks for taking the time to put this together Trito <3
phe
very cool guide thanks !
Randomness64
this guide should be pinned on the forum,probably the best one i saw so far !
semaphore
If you're like me and too lazy to add any custom sample that isn't a snare, then normal-hitnormal is great for kicks if you're in a soft section.
Topic Starter
TritoBandito

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

TritoBandito wrote:

bump
Why are you bumping this?
sorry, thought it would be helpful to show it up again since some people were asking me about this, wont do it again
Topic Starter
TritoBandito

semaphore wrote:

If you're like me and too lazy to add any custom sample that isn't a snare, then normal-hitnormal is great for kicks if you're in a soft section.
completely agree
I AM VERY SMART
does these shortcuts also work in lazer?
mqwilliamscom

Randomness64 wrote:

agreed
I AM VERY SMART

mqwilliamscom wrote:

Randomness64 wrote:

agreed
maybe a GMT can do that
Gsun

Randomness64 wrote:

Couldn't agree more.