forum

problem with mapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kinpo
sometimes i get angry with myself for not being able to complete a map. i have a lot of desire to learn about taiko mapping, but unfortunately i end up stopping a map that i was already making to make another one that i won't even finish, and i end up in this cycle of never finishing a map entirely. it seems that i don't want to map but at the same time i do. even when i find a song that i want to release on the site i end up giving up. if this has already happened to you, i ask you to leave tips on how not to give up mapping in the middle. thank you all.
CatzerTM
I get the sentiment and I'm guilty of this myself, I have a ever-growing catalog of maps I have yet to finish or just don't feel comfortable with the quality enough to submit them. This is probably a fairly common thing not just to mapping but really any form of art. Not everything a artist makes is going to be a masterpiece nor everything they make going to be made public only what he/she feels comfortable with or things is of good quality

Regarding tips I would say asking for help from people is fine, it is common practice to have other mappers make difficulties for your maps so it's less tiring on you since the mapping the same thing over and over is going to drive you insane at some point. Joining mapping communities will help with this and i urge you to to do so if you haven't already, Some BN have discord invite on their profile to these if you use discord, alternatively GD queue could be useful though maybe a bit less reliable

However I don't recommend pushing or beating yourself down too hard if you can't produce in a set amount of time, though it can be used as a stragedy. Forcing an arbitrary time limit on yourself to get certain things done like telling yourself "I have and must finish this map in 2 days to a week" usually yields a more productive workflow, but try not to overdo this as it can lead you getting demotivated very quickly.

In short mapping takes time and not a process always worth rushing. if you need, taking a break can do wonders at times. Hope this helped in some way and Happy mapping :)
Topic Starter
Kinpo

CatzerTM wrote:

I get the sentiment and I'm guilty of this myself, I have a ever-growing catalog of maps I have yet to finish or just don't feel comfortable with the quality enough to submit them. This is probably a fairly common thing not just to mapping but really any form of art. Not everything a artist makes is going to be a masterpiece nor everything they make going to be made public only what he/she feels comfortable with or things is of good quality

Regarding tips I would say asking for help from people is fine, it is common practice to have other mappers make difficulties for your maps so it's less tiring on you since the mapping the same thing over and over is going to drive you insane at some point. Joining mapping communities will help with this and i urge you to to do so if you haven't already, Some BN have discord invite on their profile to these if you use discord, alternatively GD queue could be useful though maybe a bit less reliable

However I don't recommend pushing or beating yourself down too hard if you can't produce in a set amount of time, though it can be used as a stragedy. Forcing an arbitrary time limit on yourself to get certain things done like telling yourself "I have and must finish this map in 2 days to a week" usually yields a more productive workflow, but try not to overdo this as it can lead you getting demotivated very quickly.

In short mapping takes time and not a process always worth rushing. if you need, taking a break can do wonders at times. Hope this helped in some way and Happy mapping :)
thanks, i will try to do some of what you said to see if i can stop it. i just abandoned a map because, according to me, i couldn't do the minor difficulties for the music. if every song i took to map i finished, i would have at least 50 maps ready, and i keep thinking about it. anyway, i just vented a little and sorry for that. thanks again.
Jason X
I had been in the pit you're in, and it sure took some time to get out, but the way out does exist.

I feel like this text is long enough
Keep in mind that mapping is not a chore, you're not required to do it.
The best results in my experience are when you have fun and enjoy what you're doing.

Forcing yourself to finish a map in a certain time span, as CatzerTM points out, is more productive, but there also is the chance that you overdo yourself with the song, so if you feel like you just can't stand the song anymore, take a break, let it be a day or two and then get back at it.
Else you might end up disliking the song or the map as an outcome of it.

Also, I too do end up stopping to map songs for weeks or even months at a time, mostly due to finding other songs I like more, what helps me is just not listening to other music for the time being, meaning no YouTube, Spotify, etc.
At least until I get one difficulty done in the set, after that I'm ok with starting a new song and coming back to the other one later.

Also as CatzerTM mentioned, Guest Difficulties (GD), you can ask other mappers to make some for you which takes workload of you by not having to create every difficulty of the set, but, this can also be reversed.
Looking into Beatmap Projects for the words GD REQ (For Fun) in the title, these are more often shorter songs and often are open to every mode and experience level.
As these songs are not too long it is not too hard to finish a difficulty for it, and submitting it to the set owner as a GD can raise motivation for mapping tremendously.
You won't get too much experience from it unless you actually ask someone to have a look at what you've mapped, but for the sake of motivation, go for it.

Kinpo wrote:

i couldn't do the minor difficulties for the music
I saw a fair amount of people struggle with this over the yrars, my guess to why this is, is simply that people are not playing lower difficulties the more they advance in their skill.
As they spend most of their time playing Oni and Inner difficulties, this might also be because players don't spend too much time on them to begin with, once one is able to play harder maps the lower ones are essentially ignored or simply "forgotten".
Getting into mapping them does take some practice runs, it can help to seriously play them from time to time, just to know what they should look/feel like (playing wise).
Until you think you've overcome this, I do suggest looking for Guest Difficulties, or just to try and ask mappers who are more experienced with those levels for feedback/mods.

Topic Starter
Kinpo

Jason X wrote:

I had been in the pit you're in, and it sure took some time to get out, but the way out does exist.

I feel like this text is long enough
Keep in mind that mapping is not a chore, you're not required to do it.
The best results in my experience are when you have fun and enjoy what you're doing.

Forcing yourself to finish a map in a certain time span, as CatzerTM points out, is more productive, but there also is the chance that you overdo yourself with the song, so if you feel like you just can't stand the song anymore, take a break, let it be a day or two and then get back at it.
Else you might end up disliking the song or the map as an outcome of it.

Also, I too do end up stopping to map songs for weeks or even months at a time, mostly due to finding other songs I like more, what helps me is just not listening to other music for the time being, meaning no YouTube, Spotify, etc.
At least until I get one difficulty done in the set, after that I'm ok with starting a new song and coming back to the other one later.

Also as CatzerTM mentioned, Guest Difficulties (GD), you can ask other mappers to make some for you which takes workload of you by not having to create every difficulty of the set, but, this can also be reversed.
Looking into Beatmap Projects for the words GD REQ (For Fun) in the title, these are more often shorter songs and often are open to every mode and experience level.
As these songs are not too long it is not too hard to finish a difficulty for it, and submitting it to the set owner as a GD can raise motivation for mapping tremendously.
You won't get too much experience from it unless you actually ask someone to have a look at what you've mapped, but for the sake of motivation, go for it.

Kinpo wrote:

i couldn't do the minor difficulties for the music
I saw a fair amount of people struggle with this over the yrars, my guess to why this is, is simply that people are not playing lower difficulties the more they advance in their skill.
As they spend most of their time playing Oni and Inner difficulties, this might also be because players don't spend too much time on them to begin with, once one is able to play harder maps the lower ones are essentially ignored or simply "forgotten".
Getting into mapping them does take some practice runs, it can help to seriously play them from time to time, just to know what they should look/feel like (playing wise).
Until you think you've overcome this, I do suggest looking for Guest Difficulties, or just to try and ask mappers who are more experienced with those levels for feedback/mods.

i hope i get out of this hole i'm in. i have some kind of envy of people who finish their maps lol. i started a map and for now i'm doing well in not abandoning it, i even thought about abandoning it, but i didn't do it, i think it's already an advance. i like it better when i make a complete map set myself, but i will try to stop that too. thanks.
Jason X

Kinpo wrote:

i like it better when i make a complete map set myself
Yeah same, especially full spreads, I don't like the thought of excluding players that aren't up there yet.
Also, I don't like the idea of asking for GDs while knowing that I'm not going to push for ranked >.<