forum

Suggestion: New Mod System [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Diasios
The method I'm about to propose is quite simple...

I create a map.
Mods have to check it.
I point out my map on a "bulletin board", or something like this.
In chronological order they'll check our maps.
If you change/fix/upload your map, you lose the priority.
Each bat, in turn, control the board requests

Doing so no one will complain, saying that no one ever checks his maps.
Sleep Powder
I have a feeling almost anyone would disagree to the chronological part of it...
Topic Starter
Diasios

animask wrote:

I have a feeling almost anyone would disagree to the chronological part of it...

xxheroxx wrote:

Doing so no one will complain, saying that no one ever checks his maps.
peppy
For people who suggest these "new wonder systems", we really should prepare a set of links with previous ranking/submission discussions so they can see the history of what has already been discussed, the reasons their suggestions won't work etc.
Lokamp
This is a good plan with one, only weak point: even BAT members have their lives...
I mean, there aren't enough to check all maps in chronological order...
MetaSlash
I think this new system is a good idea. It's ok for me ^^
MegaManEXE
All this would do is discourage modding, because people wouldn't want to make small changes and lose their priority in the BAT line.
MetaSlash

MegaManEXE wrote:

All this would do is discourage modding, because people wouldn't want to make small changes and lose their priority in the BAT line.
I think this is right too D:
Topic Starter
Diasios
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Andrea
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
0_o
This idea sure is popular with the italians :P

But yeah, with ~500 Pending maps and volunteer staff who have better things to do then slave over maps 24/7, this really isn't practical/feasible.
Gemi
To be honest this idea sucks. If mods are forced to go through songs in chronological order, one sucky map at the top of the list halts the whole process. And who would want to make updates to their maps at all if they get back to last spot? This idea has no merits at all. Sorry if I sound harsh, but the reasonings have been stated so many times in so many places by so many people already...
Derekku
Topic Starter
Diasios
Ok ok my idea sucks...
Anyway i have a little question: why don't you search for new mods? D:
This can be a solution... or not?

More Bats = Less problems
LuigiHann
Sir Minelli

xxheroxx wrote:

Ok ok my idea sucks...

xxheroxx,

Plenty of your ideas have been previously suggested multiple times.

I invite you to read the forums more so that you are updated with what is currently going on with the community, so that we avoid the fact of repeating ourselves over and over. Thank you.
Derekku

Sir Minelli wrote:

I invite you to read the forums more so that you are updated with what is currently going on with the community, so that we avoid the fact of repeating ourselves over and over. Thank you.

peppy wrote:

For people who suggest these "new wonder systems", we really should prepare a set of links with previous ranking/submission discussions so they can see the history of what has already been discussed, the reasons their suggestions won't work etc.
Don't look at me to post them... I'm doing homework X3

xxheroxx wrote:

NO. Err, uh, no.
Sleep Powder

xxheroxx wrote:

Ok ok my idea sucks...

Yay~ I agree.

The priority system was discovered ( by me ) to have flaws.
If we had more BAT members then the ranking process would go faster.
You're probably thinking..."No we need more normal modders or...BAT members do more than just modding or...BAT members have normal lives so there is no way they could continuously mod beatmaps forever."
Ether the people should have more power...or the power to the people.
"Normal osu! members can do more than just mod and star maps towards the ranking process....or more BATs"
Ekaru
Guess what?

We get more BATs all the time! *gasp*

Why people keep on suggesting to get more BATs when that is exactly what happens is beyond me. If someone has a reason as to why this happens, I'd like to hear it.
Sleep Powder

Ekaru wrote:

Guess what?

We get more BATs all the time! *gasp*

Why people keep on suggesting to get more BATs when that is exactly what happens is beyond me. If someone has a reason as to why this happens, I'd like to hear it.
new BAT members every 6 months doesn't count btw.
anonymous_old

animask wrote:

new BAT members every 6 months doesn't count btw.
One, it's not that infrequent.

Two, why wouldn't it count?
Derekku
It's been said dozens of times (sigh), but BATs are the Beatmap APPROVAL team. They can't approve more maps per day if people aren't modding them. BATs shouldn't have to be the ones to mod everyone's maps. See the problem, now?

PS: Giving normal users more power wouldn't really do anything (I think). Even if there were Jr BATs (perhaps people with high kudosu that could push maps up to a mini-bubble status or something so BATs could see close-to-ranked-status maps), there's only so many of them and thus it wouldn't do a whole lot of good, either. I don't even know anymore...
awp

xxheroxx wrote:

Everyone who maps should be considered a mod.

xxheroxx wrote:

The opposite. Less BAT = Less problems. The more people you have, the more difficult it is to manage/maintain/enforce standards of quality etc. - I doubt you've ever been a manager for a project in excess of four or five people. It starts to get tough, especially once you hit double digit staff.

Assuming there was a reservoir of trustworthy, dependable BAT lying around (which of course there isn't) throwing more BAT at the problem may seem like a reasonable bandage over an infected wound.

It's nice to see people making efforts to come up with improvements to the system, but I dislike seeing the same failed ideas being repeated over and over. The 20 or so active BAT should be more than enough to see 10+ maps ranked every day. But we're not getting 10+ maps ranked every day. Why do you suppose that is?

Spoiler: ineffectual modding. We need to improve on the modding process, not the ranking process.

Tips in that respect: modding has been, is, and will always remain a voluntary activity. It's not a duty, it's an obligation. Ordering people around in how they should mod isn't going to bolster activity, it will suffocate it. People will quickly lose desire in modding if they aren't allowed to mod how they want to (such as what and when).

One of the reasons the kudosu system works well is because it takes the above into consideration. You're not required to mod. You're not required to earn kudosu. People still choose to; they feel additional reward (the kd) in doing something they presumably enjoy doing (modding songs that catch their eye/ear).
Ekaru
animask: You're right!

There has been an average of over 1 BAT made a month over the past year! *gasp* 'Course, they were actually done in clusters, but plenty of BATs are made.

Actually, we wouldn't have much of this issue if people stopped treating BATs like janitors and more like one-time offers that you should thoroughly prepare for (like I usually do nowadays). That's all I'll say here, otherwise I'd get carried away.
peppy
Locked. If you wonder why, read awp's reply over and over until it becomes clear to you.