forum

I must ask. Is it worth it to delete a map that's graved, since it never got ranked?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LaymooDR
It's just how I feel like managing my maps. I just want to have a confirmation as to if it is the right thing to do or if the map can have a chance, even when graved. I'm asking because it's now 24 hours before one of my maps are currently determined to be deleted, and I need to know a reason to keep it up before going through with it. Just asking for community input.

For your interest, it is this map specifically that is first in the graveyard queue: beatmapsets/1998475

Have a good day.
WitherMite
I mean there's no downside to not deleting it.

deleting it means nobody else ever gets to play it, but if you don't care about about the map and dont plan to ever try and improve the map and move it back to wip/pending then nothing is stopping you from deleting the map I guess.

personally I dont like to delete maps though.
THAT_otaku
Nobody deletes their graveds, so that people can play and enjoy them.... thats the main point in mapping...
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

THAT_otaku wrote:

Nobody deletes their graveds, so that people can play and enjoy them.... thats the main point in mapping...
But what about a chance at good modding and edits for playability to get the possibility of ranked or loved? That's the one thing I am worried about is that I won't get much modding for my maps anymore, which will inevitably push any map I upload to graveyard a month later after upload.

Because of the issues I had before, I screwed every possible chance to get mods.
Chrisse
Having graved maps can increase the chance of you getting mods/feedback as they can be an indicator of experience imo.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Chrisse wrote:

Having graved maps can increase the chance of you getting mods/feedback as they can be an indicator of experience imo.
I screwed up all possible chances of getting mods. I got banned from pretty much every modding server due to my mental issues with pessimism.

Though, I will keep it up until it is 31 days old, just to see.
Chrisse
I suggest the forums for modding and applying to as many modding queues as possible. For me i thought it was impossible to rank a map, but after i changed my mindset and my way of doing things it happened rather quick and naturally to rank a map

My tips (assuming you have little experience with the ranking process, but u know the basics) would be

1. be Patient. Don’t expect maps to get mods straight away and also not only rely on mods but try to selfmod and take inspiration

2. Apply mods after thinking about what the modder meant and how it improves you map. When u understand that look for other similar places in ur map or in other maps u make

3. polish polish polish your map. Struggling to get external feedback? Keep applying to modding queues in forums over and over and whilst you wait improve your map and polish it

4. if yoy manage to get decent mods and you map is generally ready u can maybe start looking for bns. Look for those who specifically likes the genre/theme/song/etc of your map and make sure to follow all rules they have.

5. if either bns or modders reject, check if they left any feedback for you. Even though they rejected ur map they might leave a message like (map has inconsistent spacing) etc and then use that going forward with your map and improve it. And after that keep trying to find bns

If ur 1st 5th 10th 15th map even doesnt get recognised by bns or gets ranked dw its on and normal. Keep going forward like this and you will 100% improve your mapping enough to eventually rank or get atleast bn check (:

Gl on your maps! You havent screwed up all just given up it seems like. Keep pushing :D
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Chrisse wrote:

I suggest the forums for modding and applying to as many modding queues as possible. For me i thought it was impossible to rank a map, but after i changed my mindset and my way of doing things it happened rather quick and naturally to rank a map

My tips (assuming you have little experience with the ranking process, but u know the basics) would be

1. be Patient. Don’t expect maps to get mods straight away and also not only rely on mods but try to selfmod and take inspiration

2. Apply mods after thinking about what the modder meant and how it improves you map. When u understand that look for other similar places in ur map or in other maps u make

3. polish polish polish your map. Struggling to get external feedback? Keep applying to modding queues in forums over and over and whilst you wait improve your map and polish it

4. if yoy manage to get decent mods and you map is generally ready u can maybe start looking for bns. Look for those who specifically likes the genre/theme/song/etc of your map and make sure to follow all rules they have.

5. if either bns or modders reject, check if they left any feedback for you. Even though they rejected ur map they might leave a message like (map has inconsistent spacing) etc and then use that going forward with your map and improve it. And after that keep trying to find bns

If ur 1st 5th 10th 15th map even doesnt get recognised by bns or gets ranked dw its on and normal. Keep going forward like this and you will 100% improve your mapping enough to eventually rank or get atleast bn check (:

Gl on your maps! You havent screwed up all just given up it seems like. Keep pushing :D
I do know the basics and I am well aware of the ranking process. I'll state my opinions on each of these.

1. I posted to a queue and never got a response in like almost 2 weeks. I do selfmod so I can make the map playable (If the map isn't a joke) and I have tons of inspiration from maps from Mismagius, Sytho, etc.

2. Back then, I couldn't really deal with feedback due to my mental issues with pessimism, which got me banned from the osz. I am way better now, so I will be really decisive of what modding/feedback I prefer.

3. I would keep applying, but basically none of them really accept the type of maps I make, which makes me believe my maps are sort of unique to other maps. I would polish it, but I usually screw something up, even when I am careful, so I just wait until I have feedback that fixes the map and can be easily done and replicated for future maps.

4. If it gets at least 5 hypes, I could look for bns, but the same thing for the preferences of what maps people mod is the same for bns. It would be virtually impossible for me to find a bn that accepts the maps I make.

5. I've had an unfixable issue with spacing consistency, which has forced me to use distance snap, to make it consistent every time. I don't know if that will also cause spacing issues, but it's my best bet.

Do you know any kind of modding queues or bns that take my type of maps?

My maps are like this...

Genre: Usually EDM, Plunderphonics, sometimes Acoustic.
Map style: One-Off diffs, as I have no time to make a full setlist.
Song length: Varies between 30 seconds to 1 hour. Less than 30 seconds is extremely rare.
Settings: I mostly set all maps I make to AR10 and CS4-3 as I like all my maps to be readable and actually possible to aim, instead of using trial and error to get the optimum settings.

These are 100% possible reasons why none of my maps will ever get ranked, since this mapping preference of mine is 101% against the ranking criteria. If I had the time and dedication to it, I would make at least one map that can be ranked. My goal in mapping is to get at least 1 ranked and 1 loved beatmap, after that, I would let Milo Murphy's law take place, and let ranking and loved status appear when it does, instead of chasing it. I'm unable to post another map anyway because of the upload limit. I would buy Osu! Supporter, but I'm broke as a joke. I currently have been working on a map that I am using feedback from the osz in, with the best of my ability. Expect that within the next month, as it takes me a while to gain dedication to map stuff on here, since I play other stuff and map when available.
RatCoffee
Posting in modding queues can be a bit like searching for a job. Depending on the nature of the modding queue, you could make a dozen posts and get one response. There's a lot of maps out there and modders have to pick and choose. You say you posted to "a queue," does that mean just one? Rather than putting all your eggs in that basket, I'd recommend posting in as many queues as possible.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

MagicDragon wrote:

Posting in modding queues can be a bit like searching for a job. Depending on the nature of the modding queue, you could make a dozen posts and get one response. There's a lot of maps out there and modders have to pick and choose. You say you posted to "a queue," does that mean just one? Rather than putting all your eggs in that basket, I'd recommend posting in as many queues as possible.
But barely any take the maps I make. The only one was Umbre's queue, which was ignored for the past week and a half.

By the way, the map has now hit graveyard, so it is currently pending deletion. Keep in mind, I will never have any plans to reupload any maps I delete. The best you would get to obtaining the maps I have removed, is to PM me, so I can send you a temporary link, as I don't trust the community to keep the map off the site.

EDIT: Deleted. I didn't really see any hope for modding, as it's pretty rigged anyway.
Zelzatter Zero
To answer the question: Depends, but on you.

If you think the set should be ranked, you can let it stay there until you feels like you want to.

If you think the see is insufficient or way too low standard, feel free to delete it.

If you think it may not be the time to do it, you can let it be.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

To answer the question: Depends, but on you.

If you think the set should be ranked, you can let it stay there until you feels like you want to.

If you think the see is insufficient or way too low standard, feel free to delete it.

If you think it may not be the time to do it, you can let it be.
The set could have been ranked, but I can't really get mods, so the map couldn't be saved.

Modders could argue about what they would want and they most likely wouldn't stop until I put what they said I should in the map. That's the reason why I now am not going for modding anymore.