forum

Rate the mapping technique - Round 9: The Kickstream

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

5 - Love them!
16.29%
12.05%
24.76%
20.20%
1 - Hate them!
26.71%
Total votes: 307
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Doomsday
it can be good if done right (a.k.a, its obvious and/or consistent) but it can be pretty bad if done wrong

3'd
lukewarmholiday
1, I should be generous and give it a 2.

But no, I fucking despise these.

Now, a stream of all kick sliders I'm fine with.

But people just put notes in seemingly random orders every single time they do kickstreams. 2 normal notes kick repeating slider of like 6 then 3 notes then kick of 3 then blah blah blah.

If you have a slider end in the opposite direction the stream is going you get a 0 and I delete the map from my HD.
anonymous_old
Three, mostly because this is abused very often and it's irritating.

I'm happy with this at 1/2. I believe James did this a bit in his maps.

At 1/4, however, I start to bring out the suicidal weapons if the stream is anything like those in Kanbu.
0_o

strager wrote:

Three, mostly because this is abused very often and it's irritating.

I'm happy with this at 1/2. I believe James did this a bit in his maps.

At 1/4, however, I start to bring out the suicidal weapons if the stream is anything like those in Kanbu.
This
Nachy
That
Mogsy
I give this a 2.

This is something that should never leave the realm of 1/2. Even then, it's extremely hard to pull off correctly, for it's difficult to usually define a proper context for this sort of technique. I can barely think of even one suitable use for this off the top of my head. I'd still say to avoid this technique unless it absolutely fits, for it feels awkward in most contexts.
anonymous_old
I agree with Mogsy in that it should be used sparingly, and where appropriate. I don't think it's too difficult, though... In Kanbu and some other maps you can just spam clicks. =]
eee
I was qute hesitant with giving these a 2.
yes, spamming clicks is most likely the sensible solution.
Mogsy

strager wrote:

I don't think it's too difficult, though... In Kanbu and some other maps you can just spam clicks. =]
Difficult in terms of actually being accurate and you know, flowing properly.
Ekaru
Pfft, flow? Who needs that? The only goal in mapping Hards and higher is to jam as many notes as possible into however long the song is without sounding *too* bad. You know it, I know it, etc.

Seriously, I gave it a 1 because nowadays this is often used with 1/4s in the middle of 1/4 streams that I already have trouble with, what with this bad keyboard and all, thus throwing me off and often making me wonder why they decided to randomly put this 1/4 repeating slider in the middle of a 1/4 stream in the first place.

Even with 1/2s, I still wonder. I would personally prefer a regular slider or some hit circles in the middle of a stream instead of a short repeating slider. In most cases, at least.
Derekku
2'd

If it's a 1/2 stream and/or at the END of a stream, they're not TOO horrible; But I hate kicksliders in general so ffffffff
Pasonia
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Metroid
I'm not a big fan. I haven't seen many maps with them used in a intuitive form and most of the time they just piss me off.
yeahyeahyeahhh
2'd. I hate these, though its not bad if it ends with a reverse slider.
lukewarmholiday
After a little more thought I realized, even though some people use this is a semi tolerable fashion I would have rather just seen a normal slider or more standard notes.
SteRRuM
3, It can be annoying for some players.
Real1
Daru

These are one of the things I just find difficult to do, not because of an intended difficulty of a map, but because of the nature of the technique itself. It's next to impossible to predict when exactly the slider will end and the stream will resume without knowing the map or the song, since it's hard to read approach circles to an accuracy of 1/4 or so. This is especially true for the harder maps where this technique is likely to pop up, wherein Overall Difficulty gives the map a rather steep reaction time as it is.

As for these being used in 1/2, I honestly can't remember a map that does it in 1/2, and I can't imagine it being too hard at that speed. That, along with the fact that there are appropriate places to use this, however rare, is why I didn't give it a 1.
Kitsunemimi
Fun but stupid.
show more