forum

I'm THIS close to quitting mapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LaymooDR
I never realized it would be this difficult to get my maps some traction and feedback, so I have just been thinking of giving up on mapping. I enjoy mapping, but it is almost impossible to get them out there. They just seem to be just for me. I went to modding queues and none of them are either active or accept the type of map I'm submitting. I went to Discord servers, and they had a history of users getting ignored when they post their map for mods.
Zelzatter Zero
I would also like to ask you: Were you expecting too much?

It occurs to me that you were either way too fast or expecting way too high on something. The examples you gave on the "only a handful who were decent at mapping" is already ridiculous. You don't have to have several ranked maps/GD or extremely known to be considered decent at mapping.

And I have barely seen in your posting history of you posting in any modding queues outside of like, 1? I can't speak for anyone, but I personally used to spam consistently at least 7-8 modding queues per 2-3 day, some I have to take M4M request in order to get any hope of someone modding one of my early maps. And no, I used to have one map that exceed 10* way back, and I still be able to find mods, albeit a little low quality since barely anyone truly have enough expertise to that. If you can't find enough, find more. Page 2 exists.

Collaboration isn't something you'd expect anyone to offer to you, especially you're still a month in, with only 4 maps on the back of your hand. That's way too low of an indicator of your experience for anyone to think of doing a collab.

Also mapping is a very long journey. Even if you're only aiming for more generic style, it would take at least around a year to finally get a hang of it, much less more niche one that requires much more mapping experience, tech for example, which can take up to several years. Mine personally have to experience 6 years to finally realize a consistent style.
Ryu Sei
At this rate I don't know what to say anymore, whether you're chasing some clouts, being salty because you can't rank a map, or genuinely lost in track on how to make a map.

Longest record I have to rank a map is slightly more than 1 year from first upload of the map. So that's that. All I can say is keep practicing mapping, get more reviews and advices, improve, repeat.
Gsun
Yeah, I have to agree with all of them here, Laymoo. People, ON AVERAGE, take 2-3 years or even more to rank a map because the expectations are just that high and there are a TON of concepts that go into making maps of this quality, such as flow, asthetics, time-distance equality (for low diffs especially), visual spacing, emphasis, contrast, a LOT of things. It's like another art form that you have to take your time to master and even ranked mappers haven't always mastered anything. (But yeah, I totally understand your situation with modding queues and discord servers, but you're gonna have to be more patient.)
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Gsun wrote:

Yeah, I have to agree with all of them here, Laymoo. People, ON AVERAGE, take 2-3 years or even more to rank a map because the expectations are just that high and there are a TON of concepts that go into making maps of this quality, such as flow, asthetics, time-distance equality (for low diffs especially), visual spacing, emphasis, contrast, a LOT of things. It's like another art form that you have to take your time to master and even ranked mappers haven't always mastered anything. (But yeah, I totally understand your situation with modding queues and discord servers, but you're gonna have to be more patient.)
It's not that I want clout or am wanting to rank my stuff. It's just genuinely difficult to popularize my stuff enough to become at least well known. All I ask is for people to start playing my stuff if it's good enough. I'm only trying to get modding done for my maps to patch them with current standards, now that I have an account on here to post these maps.
Gsun
Well, you're just going to have to look harder. Idk what else to say but just be lucky someone gets to you. Also, work on improving your beatmaps, because that helps a lot too.
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

Gsun wrote:

Well, you're just going to have to look harder. Idk what else to say but just be lucky someone gets to you. Also, work on improving your beatmaps, because that helps a lot too.
That's the thing. I'm never lucky.