forum

(Mouse Players) The Great Skill Wall of China

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aizuuya
Hello everyone, been a while since I made my own topic on here. I'm seeking advice on how to overcome this skill wall I've hit that feels impossible to overcome, as I have been trying for years. Hence the title calling it the great skill wall of china. While my tapping has been improving consistently, my aim has not improved in years no matter what I try.

I feel like I've tried everything at this point relating to fixing my aim. I've tried practicing long consistency aim, long HR aim maps, awkward aim, aim farm, dt aim, basically every kind of aim on the planet and it just hasn't improved. So after that didn't work I tried just enjoying game instead of worrying about my aim for many months, but I didn't improve my aim from that either. I tried ignoring aim and just playing stream maps, but that unsurprisingly, just improves my stream skill.

There's only one thing I can think of and maybe it's that I need to just focus on playing one kind of aim map for a long time and maybe I'll improve instead of just playing every skillset under the sun. Before I do that I want to ask all the MOUSE PLAYERS (tablet is incredibly different) if they have any ideas on how I could overcome this skill wall relating to my aim.
his everything

Aizuuya wrote:

Before I do that I want to ask all the MOUSE PLAYERS (tablet is incredibly different) if they have any ideas on how I could overcome this skill wall relating to my aim.
As a former mouse place, I suggest you to buy a tablet

Topic Starter
Aizuuya
I cannot play tablet because of a previous hand injury I got from playing tablet in 2021. I still can't write with a pencil in school without incredible pain so that advice won't be working.
MusicRitman
I would suggest playing other games rather than focusing on osu!. If you see yourself not catching up with aim, I could recommend you to up your sensitivity for about 0.2, it may help you to get faster to the circles but also might take a bit of a time to adapt.

Sometimes a map takes a few passes before getting it right. Most people retry on their first-second miss on the map, but I'd recommend to pass a map so hands could "remember" where they should aim, and when to click.

Also you might try playing offline. Sounds insane but the problem for most is that they get nervous when they have high combo or so, as they fear of losing a good score to a random miss.

A good practice for nerves would actually be multiplayer or tourneys even. It gives you new maps which you play or practice until the deadline, so you'd have to be as good as possible to get the best score. And you might find some friends :> (just don't tilt or rage quit if you lose, worst mistake to do and kills your whole skill making you worse, trust me, I've gone through this).
Fxjlk
What is holding you back from getting FCs on harder aim maps?

Have a look at your performance on these maps and try to find the SPECIFIC skill that needs work in order for you to get better plays. Is your aim too slow? Is it imprecise? Do you struggle with specific patterns? Do you struggle with diff spikes? Do you struggle with endurance? Look at all your misses and find the pattern (or patterns) in those misses.

Once you know what to train specifically you can find maps that train that specific skill or skills and hammer it down until you can exceed your old best.
Topic Starter
Aizuuya

MusicRitman wrote:

I would suggest playing other games rather than focusing on osu!. If you see yourself not catching up with aim, I could recommend you to up your sensitivity for about 0.2, it may help you to get faster to the circles but also might take a bit of a time to adapt.

Sometimes a map takes a few passes before getting it right. Most people retry on their first-second miss on the map, but I'd recommend to pass a map so hands could "remember" where they should aim, and when to click.

Also you might try playing offline. Sounds insane but the problem for most is that they get nervous when they have high combo or so, as they fear of losing a good score to a random miss.

A good practice for nerves would actually be multiplayer or tourneys even. It gives you new maps which you play or practice until the deadline, so you'd have to be as good as possible to get the best score. And you might find some friends :> (just don't tilt or rage quit if you lose, worst mistake to do and kills your whole skill making you worse, trust me, I've gone through this).
First, I don't really enjoy other games, but I do take breaks by playing other modes in osu that aren't as intensive on the mind or hands as standard. The idea about the sensitivity is a very good one and I will definitely take you up on that. I always thought staying at the same sensitivity would lead me to have better consistency but maybe a change up is what I need right now. Also one of my biggest problems with mouse aim has been mouse drift, which theoretically should affect me less and less the higher sensitivity I go. So amazing idea! Thank you for that advice, I will immediately apply that. It will take a while to get my aim consistency back but its a worth sacrifice.

I am not the type to retry spam. I always play long maps all the way through and its why my playtime is so high. I believe that to be the most enjoyable way of playing.

I won't play offline, it does nothing for me and I cant get combos on maps to set scores anyways. I despise offline players that just grind skill offline for years and come back with like 200 hours of playtime and 3 digit and everyone creams over their fake improvement rate. I will never become that.

I did play in the 5 Digit United States Cup recently and tournaments are very fun to me, but they are only fun when I have teammates and we don't go against derankers that just 6-0 us. Maybe not a good improvement method, but yeah I could play some tournies for fun. Multiplayer could be a good idea, but its just 90% playing maps I don't want and don't enjoy when I could just play 100% of maps I DO enjoy on my own.

Fxjlk wrote:

What is holding you back from getting FCs on harder aim maps?

Have a look at your performance on these maps and try to find the SPECIFIC skill that needs work in order for you to get better plays. Is your aim too slow? Is it imprecise? Do you struggle with specific patterns? Do you struggle with diff spikes? Do you struggle with endurance? Look at all your misses and find the pattern (or patterns) in those misses.

Once you know what to train specifically you can find maps that train that specific skill or skills and hammer it down until you can exceed your old best.What is holding you back from getting FCs on harder aim maps?

Once you know what to train specifically you can find maps that train that specific skill or skills and hammer it down until you can exceed your old best.
I've never been very good at analyzing my gameplay. Not the analytical type and when I do attempt to look at my replays to correct misses, I end up wasting my time. It's never helped me but I guess I could give it another shot and really focus on it. Mostly my aim problem is mouse drift. Once I fix that issue I will look into this advice and see if there's anything that'll help me by doing this.
SilentRiver
I've had a similar issue where I felt my mouse aim was my biggest bottleneck for a long time, the bump up in sensitivity and a subsequent shift back to lower stars to get more comfortable with the new sens has made my aiming hand feel a lot more comfy on bigger jumps imo. I'm also doing the jump back to lower star maps as a way to consciously deal with my mouse drift. By being on lower stars I'm able to be more aware of when mouse drift happens/what positions are my hand the most comfortable in, so that when I do consciously adjust I know what I should adjust to.
AccountWontWork
would you be able to do a handcam gameplay video? it would help in seeing what issue you have with mouse drift.

my solution to mouse drift is to accept it, dont try to adjust(only do so on slow or break sections).

also I dont really think making your sensitivity higher will fix your issue, sure it will give you "less" mouse drift in terms of the amount of movement needed, but mouse drift is relative to your sens, meaning even though you made your sens higher, the mouse drift will feel about the same. also mouse drift is much easier to control on lower sens from my experience.

I play with a pretty low sens but I pretty much have no issues with mouse drift so I dont really believe that higher sens = less mouse drift
MrSparklepants
If you still own a tablet you could buy a broken mouse, strip the electronics out, and place the tablet pen internals inside the mouse. It may take some planning, but it's entirely possible. Another way is just to make a hole in the broken mouse and then sticking the pen tablet in the hole. Essentially what you'd make is a mouse that has absolute positioning (still wouldn't act exactly like a mouse though, and you'd have to put a mousepad over the tablet). (Sigma mablet/mouseblet)

I know that Gurbzy just switched to this and Nirux and Topoi are currently using it. However this will take time to get used to, essentially you're learning a new play style (but Gurbzy and Nirux both say it's a lot better than mouse).

Alternatively, you could use McOsu as a trainer since you can change maps a lot more than you can in stable or do what you said yourself and focus on aim for the most part, I wouldn't know much because I play tablet (800dpi on 1 sensitivity just makes too much mouse drift for me)
Fxjlk
Both mouse and tablet have drift that you have to deal with. Tablet has no hardware drift but that doesn't change the fact that players have to readjust their grip.

There is no magic peripheral that will deal with this. You just have to master grip adjustment.

Aizuuya wrote:

I've never been very good at analyzing my gameplay. Not the analytical type and when I do attempt to look at my replays to correct misses, I end up wasting my time. It's never helped me but I guess I could give it another shot and really focus on it. Mostly my aim problem is mouse drift. Once I fix that issue I will look into this advice and see if there's anything that'll help me by doing this.
If you have problems with mouse drift then replays wont help that much. You will have to focus on finding a way to aim and adjust your grip to keep your mouse centered and your grip stable. Be aware of how your aim feels like during play and play around with how to keep your aim clean and centered.

A lower dpi might help with mouse drift because it keeps your aim more stable during adjustments.
Anaxii 3
I used to play this game mouse-only for over 3 months, but maybe you should improve your cursor control.
Topic Starter
Aizuuya

AccountWontWork wrote:

would you be able to do a handcam gameplay video? it would help in seeing what issue you have with mouse drift.

my solution to mouse drift is to accept it, dont try to adjust(only do so on slow or break sections).

also I dont really think making your sensitivity higher will fix your issue, sure it will give you "less" mouse drift in terms of the amount of movement needed, but mouse drift is relative to your sens, meaning even though you made your sens higher, the mouse drift will feel about the same. also mouse drift is much easier to control on lower sens from my experience.

I play with a pretty low sens but I pretty much have no issues with mouse drift so I dont really believe that higher sens = less mouse drift
At some point I may be able to make a handcam video, but it likely wont be very high quality. Accepting mouse drift leads me to just missing even more than adjusting does so I dont know if its a very good solution either to be honest. I have been playing with higher sensitivity and it feels a lot better than my old lower sens, so maybe I just work different and I am better with higher sens. I guess it is all about finding what works best for you.

Some mouse players just dont have to deal with mouse drift and it sucks.

MrSparklepants wrote:

If you still own a tablet you could buy a broken mouse, strip the electronics out, and place the tablet pen internals inside the mouse. It may take some planning, but it's entirely possible. Another way is just to make a hole in the broken mouse and then sticking the pen tablet in the hole. Essentially what you'd make is a mouse that has absolute positioning (still wouldn't act exactly like a mouse though, and you'd have to put a mousepad over the tablet). (Sigma mablet/mouseblet)

I know that Gurbzy just switched to this and Nirux and Topoi are currently using it. However this will take time to get used to, essentially you're learning a new play style (but Gurbzy and Nirux both say it's a lot better than mouse).

Alternatively, you could use McOsu as a trainer since you can change maps a lot more than you can in stable or do what you said yourself and focus on aim for the most part, I wouldn't know much because I play tablet (800dpi on 1 sensitivity just makes too much mouse drift for me)
This sounds interesting, but I gave my tablet to one of my friends who wanted it to draw. Sounds very complicated to do though and not really worth my time. But Yeah McOsu is an option sure, personally I think it plays different than the regular client and everything feels weird switching between them both but I could try to resolve those issues and play mcosu. I think osu!trainer and just slowing/speeding maps works just fine though.
his everything

THETM wrote:

I used to play this game mouse-only for over 3 months, but maybe you should improve your cursor control.
Cursor control is very important if you play with mouse because some bad things like mouse drift can happen during a map. I made the mistake of not being interested to it so I only was able to play burst/stream maps like d.m.c or bspower explosion.
Topic Starter
Aizuuya
UPDATE: As AccountWontWork asked, I made quite possibly the worst handcam video to ever be made. I dont have any way to get high quality handcam footage so it probably doesn't help at all, but here is the video.

Cursor control sounds like a skill to gain over time, not something you can specifically train.
ANGELF708

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

MusicRitman wrote:

I would suggest playing other games rather than focusing on osu!.
The first two pieces of advice are to buy a tablet or quit. LMFAO!
his everything

ANGELF708 wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

MusicRitman wrote:

Osu players trying to give actual advices challenge (99% impossible)
Topic Starter
Aizuuya

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

ANGELF708 wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

MusicRitman wrote:

Osu players trying to give actual advices challenge (99% impossible)
I mean to be fair, there is a lot of people in the thread still giving legitimate advice. But yeah, a lot of people dont care to give any actual advice that isnt just like play more or something.
AccountWontWork

Aizuuya wrote:

UPDATE: As AccountWontWork asked, I made quite possibly the worst handcam video to ever be made. I dont have any way to get high quality handcam footage so it probably doesn't help at all, but here is the video.

Cursor control sounds like a skill to gain over time, not something you can specifically train.
in this video I can clearly see that you are comfortable with your sens, you barely over aimed or under aimed. the problem is that you usually go to the wrong spot/wrong angle.

I usually see this problem when someone cant read the jumps comfortably or if they are not comfortable with the way they aim.

if you dont know how you missed, then its the reading problem.

if you feel restrained when aiming, then its the way you move your mouse that is the issue.

if all else fails then just switch sens as that might randomly fix it.
Topic Starter
Aizuuya

AccountWontWork wrote:

Aizuuya wrote:

in this video I can clearly see that you are comfortable with your sens, you barely over aimed or under aimed. the problem is that you usually go to the wrong spot/wrong angle.

I usually see this problem when someone cant read the jumps comfortably or if they are not comfortable with the way they aim.

if you dont know how you missed, then its the reading problem.

if you feel restrained when aiming, then its the way you move your mouse that is the issue.

if all else fails then just switch sens as that might randomly fix it.
Funny that I seem comfortable with my sens because I just changed it 3 days ago. Sometimes I do feel restrained it depends on how uncomfortable my aim gets before I can readjust. Reading issue is the more likely thing I guess, but I literally play ar8 HD and I play HR and 10.3 DT. I practice both ends of the reading spectrum regularly, I don't see how else I can improve upon reading.

Don't even say play EZ because that is the most unfun mod to me in the game
Toph
As a mouse player, I've just given up on aim. I think my mouse sensor is just so bad bc if I move my mouse too fast, the cursor stops moving. So when I try aiming wide jumps, I literally cannot.