forum

[invalid] Pack all beatmaps feature

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
petterroea
Morning.

I reinstall my pc often. It is my way of throwing out the thrash from the pc. Sadly, each time i reinstall, i loose all my osu! songs.

"Why petterroea, why don't you backup the beatmaps?", you might say.

It takes AGES. For those who played Minecraft during alpha, have you ever tried downloading/uploading a map to your server? IT Took 20 minutes for what is now a 2 minute job. Why is it faster now? Because these small chunk files were merged into larger files.

What i am trying to say, is that for backup purposes, being able to repack all songs into .osz files with one button would be great. For people like me, who use FTP for backup, this is a huge timesaver. Can we have such a feature?
DJ Chihaya
Agree, me playing on cybercafe.
each the computer restarted, osu! and all songs are gone. so, I must redownload all of it over and over again each visit one by one...
this feature must be a great help for some people ^^
Shohei Ohtani
drive.google.com

Upload your songs folder there (Or the entire osu! folder, but songs would be easier if you're fine with re-downloading the game.), and re-download them on your new computer / thing.

There's a maximum of 15GB of space on your Google Drive account, but if you're playing enough to where you need to constantly re-download the game, you won't have that much data, unless you're destroying your folder with beatmap packs (Which in that case, just downloading the beatmap packs every time might be easier, as you skip the whole uploading time)
Oinari-sama

petterroea wrote:

What i am trying to say, is that for backup purposes, being able to repack all songs into .osz files with one button would be great.
Isn't .osz just a renamed .zip? Can't you just zip your song folder yourself? I don't see how having a "button" to do this job will make your machine do it faster locally though...

DJ Chihaya wrote:

each the computer restarted, osu! and all songs are gone. so, I must redownload all of it over and over again each visit one by one...
If you like playing at cybercafe, consider getting a large USB drive and do a portable installation (aka copy everything over) on it and just run osu from the usb stick. Can save you a lot of time.
DJ Chihaya

Oinari-sama wrote:

petterroea wrote:

What i am trying to say, is that for backup purposes, being able to repack all songs into .osz files with one button would be great.
Isn't .osz just a renamed .zip? Can't you just zip your song folder yourself? I don't see how having a "button" to do this job will make your machine do it faster locally though...

DJ Chihaya wrote:

If you like playing at cybercafe, consider getting a large USB drive and do a portable installation (aka copy everything over) on it and just run osu from the usb stick. Can save you a lot of time.

forget to tell, the computer itself disable all browse feature, include find target, select file to upload (I can upload mine on my netbook) and the other. totally cant browse, cannot change where downloaded file saved and cannot open the folder, just use Open in Download Tab. and can't select directory when installing 0w0
Vuelo Eluko

DJ Chihaya wrote:

forget to tell, the computer itself disable all browse feature, include find target, select file to upload (I can upload mine on my netbook) and the other. totally cant browse, cannot change where downloaded file saved and cannot open the folder, just use Open in Download Tab. and can't select directory when installing 0w0
sounds like crap. you could maybe fix that by closing explorer.exe and re-running it to turn the ghost image off but that's probably not a good idea if it's a cyber cafe.

i dont even know how you play like that :o

I suppose you could try to right click desktop -> create new file -> shortcut -> make shortcut to the flash drive or browse from there :?:

All these things are assuming Windows XP because that's what I see at most public computers 8-) ...
Oinari-sama

DJ Chihaya wrote:

If the net cafe you visit is that strict, then your best bet will be what CDFA already suggested. Or visit another net cafe seriously =.=
Rakuen
Suggestions:
  1. WinRAR or any file compression software does the job
  2. Get a 1TB hard disk (or more), it's enough for you to store your beatmaps
  3. Use cloud or file hosting service like CDFA said, you can do it while you're playing osu! , it won't affect much
  4. Don't download junks so you don't have to throw them
- Marco -
there is something like 60GB or more here, and uploading everytime to osu! server will just take too much
kingking9
Since the OP wants to upload to an FTP server, wouldn't it be better to RAR the entire songs directly and then upload? That's better than having the individual .osz files, as it provides a single continuous file which is the best for FTP transfers.

As for Chihaya, the best option for you is a portable HDD. Cloud services can only provide a limited amount of space and speed; and assuming your beatmap folder is the same size as mine (~40GB) it'll take a long time to redownload.
DJ Chihaya

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

sounds like crap. you could maybe fix that by closing explorer.exe and re-running it to turn the ghost image off but that's probably not a good idea if it's a cyber cafe.

i dont even know how you play like that :o

I suppose you could try to right click desktop -> create new file -> shortcut -> make shortcut to the flash drive or browse from there :?:

All these things are assuming Windows XP because that's what I see at most public computers 8-) ...
ctrl+alt+del no function, explorer disabled, but I never try that red color 0w0

Oinari-sama wrote:

If the net cafe you visit is that strict, then your best bet will be what CDFA already suggested. Or visit another net cafe seriously =.=
this cybercafe had good atmosphere, also I like the mouse and it's my trustable cybercafe :)
Topic Starter
petterroea

Oinari-sama wrote:

ip? Can't you just zip your song folder yourself? I don't see how having a "button" to do this job will make your machine do it faster locally though...
Zip 100ths of folders manually?

kingking9 wrote:

Since the OP wants to upload to an FTP server, wouldn't it be better to RAR the entire songs directly and then upload? That's better than having the individual .osz files, as it provides a single continuous file which is the best for FTP transfers.
.rar'ing takes time. Decompressing too. Osu does that too, but atleast with osu doing it, i can selectively copy music to the new destination

marcostudios wrote:

there is something like 60GB or more here, and uploading everytime to osu! server will just take too much
I am not thinking osu servers. This is done locally, so i can back up to my own backup means
Oinari-sama

petterroea wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

ip? Can't you just zip your song folder yourself? I don't see how having a "button" to do this job will make your machine do it faster locally though...
Zip 100ths of folders manually?
Why do you need to?

Right click on osu/songs and pack from the shell menu? Alternatively open WinRAR/7zip and drag osu/songs into the window?

petterroea wrote:

kingking9 wrote:

.rar'ing takes time. Decompressing too. Osu does that too, but atleast with osu doing it, i can selectively copy music to the new destination
Mind you, the time it takes to compress/decompress depends on your system and compression level. If you want to save time, simply just pack (uncompressed). If you want a smaller compressed file then you'll have to wait, osu isn't gonna save you time in that department.

I'm just gonna stop replying to this thead right here... it's not making any sense.