forum

[GUIDE] [4K] Switching from Percy to No Percy.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
staynoidedd
Hello. Have you ever wondered what it would have been like if you didn't have percy? Ever wondered what your skill would look like if you never had picked it up? Well it's too late for that now. But you can start your journey with this guide.

In this guide, I will cover how to switch from Percy to No Percy. This guide will NOT berate or insult players who use percy, and anyone is inclined to their own decision, which will be respected. ADDITIONALLY, any debate regarding if it's cheating or not is discouraged. That's not what I'm trying to start. This is a simple guide on how to move over and it should be treated as such.

=================================================================================

What is Percy?

Percy, also known as LN is an edit of an osu!mania skin which affects the visual display of the LN tail by shortening it. It's done by lengthening the ln body thousands of pixels larger and cutting a bit off the top. The edit appears to be shorter compared to a regular LN. This is used to help with the reading of denser LN patterns, which typically throw people off due to it requiring complex reading. A common downside to percy is its ability to make the ratio of a play worse, due to the player reading it shorter, therefor hitting it earlier (However with enough experience on the edit, one can adjust to this). Another form of percy is an LN cut, where rather a fade would normally be present, the full tail is completely cut, allowing a clearer form of the edit.

Over the past year, there has been debate to whether percy/LN cut is considered cheating or not. Older osu!mania, o2jam and BMS users have expressed disdain towards the use of it, as they feel it cuts out the actual hard aspect of LN, while other players feel prejudice or righteousness to express their hatred towards it, viewing themselves as higher than other players simply because they don't use the edit.

Others argue that it has increase the skill ceiling of LN, achieveing scores that would normally be considered many years away from a year or two ago. Additionally, they argue that it is not cheating as it has been accused to be, due to it being available in the skin editor.

In recent months, percy has had discussion of a removal or nerf, but ultimately decided by ppy and the osu!team that it would be supported in the release of lazar!, giving skinning users an option to edit it directly in the client.

=================================================================================

How do I switch over? (Lazy Option)

(Featuring: Bounter) How do I switch over?

If you decide you like your skin, and don't want to change, use this section. Since I have the same intelligence towards mania skinning as a turtle, fellow osu! gamer Bounter will give a step by step guide on how to edit YOUR skin.

Percy Flat End skin
- In your body, mainly known as mania-note1L, 2L, etc (It can also have other names so check the ini) select it for editing

- Paint.net prefered but this can be translated to Paint 3D

- Copy a rectangular section of your Long note body.

- Paste it as another image.

- Save the new image as mania-note1L, mania-note2L, etc.

- Check that your ini is on the right ln body.

- Make the image the same size as what you copied

- Fill in the new image as black, make it fairly rectangular, if it's too thin, it won't work.

- Save it as whatever your mania-noteT is.

- Make sure to check the .ini file again to make sure the skin reads it as what you want.

- If you have a problem that looks like this:

You made the black rectangle TOO SHORT, and you will have to redo it.

End result should look like this:

If the result looks like this:

You didn't save mania-noteT properly.

Circle/Diamond/Sharp Ended skin:
- In your body, mainly known as mania note 1L, 2L, etc (It can also have other names so check the ini) select it for editing.

- Paint.net prefered but this can be translated to Paint 3D

- Copy a rectangular section of your Long note body.

- Paste it as another image.

- Save the new image as mania-note1L, mania-note2L, etc.

- Check that your ini is on the right LN body.

- Make a new layer on your original percy LN.

- Make the layer black and make it at the back end of your percy LN.

- You want to see the last pixel before it becomes your LN end (Or a bit extra if you want to avoid too extended of an LN tail)

- This is so you can get the most optimized skin without it being percy.

- Copy the layer that has the end tail.

- Create a new layer.

- Make it black again.

- Save this as your end in the ini.

- Flip it vertically if the LN tail is upside down in gameplay.

End result should be this:

If result looks like this:

Flip the tail end vertically (seen above)

If this seems confusing to you, reverse engineer this video.

If you need any assistance, are stuck, or want to know more, DM Bounter.

Why Switch Over

This is where I try to convince you to use a non-percy skin.

A pet peeve of mine is seeing younger and less experienced mania players using percy. Knowingly or unknowingly, People who just downloaded the game and installed some random skin are getting these skins with percy cuts. This shows how widespread and universally accepted percy has become. Newer players should not use percy because they are not correctly developing the vital skills early on, yet the mania community doesn't really care about this fact, and often times ignores it. Nowadays people don't really see the difference between percy and no percy, and it can feel that the value of LN has been lost over time. Hopefully, if a new player stumbles across this guide, or any player for that fact, a bit of appreciation or value can come back to full LN, as it seriously needs some love.

How to transition seamlessly

Transitioning from percy to non-percy can be a challenging task, especially considering how this is how you are able to see your gameplay, and once you go from percy to non-percy, long notes can become even longer.

When you first switch over, there is a subconscious process that can happen if you have used percy for an extended amount of time. It's when you release an LN later than you normally should. This is because you are subconsciously thinking to let go later, as you may have been holding the LN release longer when you were using percy to combat hitting too early. Regardless, however, this section could help you in the long run for accuracy, especially if percy is not helping you gain that. Generally, using score v2 would certainly help the process a lot more, because it gives you a more accurate information in accuracy in general. Plus, it would definitely help you in improving your LN accuracy as they could give you more accurate information with regards to how good your long note ratio is.

It is recommended to play long note maps with at least OD 5 as the very very bare minimum, but ideally, you should be playing maps that are at least OD7 and above. Always avoid OD 0 maps because they would hinder your progress at improving without a percy skin.

Once you have finished choosing or editing your skin, here are a handful map packs to help you get started with training noodles.

Categories to vaguely follow

When switching to no percy, it is vital that you stick with it and dedicate an amount of your session playing LN.

If you have zero experience with no cut:

Start by playing simple, slow BPM inverse maps to get used to timing and release. This helps build the foundation of pure release, as complex reading isn't required yet. This should only take two weeks maximum to truly solidify these basic patterns and rewrite old habits.

If you have some experience with no cut:

If you already have a little experience, or are ready from the previous section, continue playing inverse maps, but mainly focus on low BPM wall or full LN maps. You can use Half time or find generally low star and BPM maps that are challenging but not too complex (see recommended maps and charts above).

If you have solid experience with no cut:

I would suggest getting Xcrypt’s Long Note converter.. Google DriveThis converts any map you desire into a Full LN map, and can practically test anything you have now. Keep practicing higher BPM or * Ratings, until you reach your peak when you used percy.

Regarding Dans:
Ah, dans. Yes. Very cool. Generally avoid LN dans, as like all other dans, it does not fully represent ones actual LN capability, as mindblock, slump, etc. However, a good turnoff point to try to switch back to percy or to percy as a newer player would be Yuugure (underjoy_'s 12th LN dan). At that point, you have sufficiently trained no percy LN well enough that you can decide if you want to use percy or not from now on.

Final Words

The journey to reading LN without percy is a long and difficult task. This takes a while to happen, so don't be discouraged or demotivated just because you're getting worse scores. Every score from now on is an improvement towards being a solid LN player. Good luck, and enjoy game. Thank you and have a nice day :).

Credits
A massive thank you to:

Silhoueska Elze, who helped me with the section on "How to transition seamlessly". You helped with what normally would have taken me an hour to write that section alone.

Ery, who helped me write "How to Switch Over", your views on this are priceless.

TastyDumpling, with the help of RhymesWithMash, you answered a very complex question extremely well which helped the "How to transition seamlessly".

Some ausu! peeps, for inspiring me to write this in the first place. You know who you are.

Bounter, for being an absolute carry in "How do I switch over?". If not for you, this guide would essentially be useless.
kzorii
Shut up.
Topic Starter
staynoidedd

kzorii wrote:

Shut up.
what are blueberries
chxu
Shut up.
Hoshimegu Mio
Solid LNs only for demonstration and SV purposes.
Stomiks
Imagine playing with percy smh
Hoshimegu Mio

Stomiks wrote:

Try playing 10* LN without percy.
ERA medium kek
actually very well made
I approve! :D
Topic Starter
staynoidedd

ERA medium kek wrote:

actually very well made
I approve! :D
thank you :3
[Iron]
john percy
yuuko1
i love using myuka's new circle skin but i'm not huge on the fact it uses percy, is there a way to revert the LN file so that it doesnt have the percy cut??
pizzaboy

YyottaCat wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Try playing 10* LN without percy.
Bet
McEndu
I remember dressurf using percy for 7K
yuuko1
after using myuka's circle skin for the last month, and today switching back to my old skin, i humbled myself.
i spent a few months dedicating hours into learning LN and i made some considerable improvements, yet switching back to my old skin makes me realise that i'm not as far ahead as i would like to believe. LN is a hard skillset, and percy, while i don't think is cheating, is more or less a temporary solution to a grander problem that is avoiding learning.

I'm gonna dedicate some more time to learning how to actually play without percy, but im still gonna farm with myuka's skin...
waterblah123
bruh literally didnt know this existed smh
Xinty
I'm hurt ppy let percy be a thing. the only reason I wouldn't consider it cheating is because he allows it but man, it really take a whole skillset away which sucks because you could be really great at normal Lns but get out done by some percy user whose basically playing rice.