forum

[Archived] Lag / Stuttering

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rimor
I've been playing osu! consistently for the past 3 or so years, and through my time I've experienced minor lag-spikes and freezes, though typically infrequently. Come recent times however, these lag-spikes have gone from an uncommon happenstance to a constant, in-your-face problem. I have discussed this issue with some friends, and all have found similar experiences recently. From hearsay, I have also heard top-players complaining about the issue, however that is unconfirmed.

Is there any particular reason for this to be happening, such as a changing in the game's code, or anything of the like. Furthermore, is there any potential fix for this in the future? Feedback would be very much appreciated.
Giai tich 2

Rimor wrote:

Is there any particular reason for this to be happening, such as a changing in the game's code, or anything of the like.
Right now, the most optimal fix is to visit wiki/en/Performance_troubleshooting

And yes, the game is kinda stuttering now, but not because of the game.

This game use OpenGL, which is something, that GPU manufacturers kinda bored to fix or improving it, and wanna make it obsolete and gone for good.
Come from my experience with multiple devices, the newer the devices, the more likely you're going to encounter this. Even though it should be the newer + better one should giving more performance.
Actually yes, it does give more perf, but also more petty bugs along with it.
The older ones might not giving you extreme fps and many things else, but the game runs perfectly fine and stable.

This game is like 14 years old already. And newer things may not even try to adapt or having some backward compatibility.
Downgrading your driver version DOES help the game being better, but only if you have mid-range hardwares. Newer one needs later versions. And newer ver also help improving some old things or even giving new features.

Using lower version is not a good trade-off if you just wanna play osu!, but needs the new driver features for many other stuffs (like newer games, productivities ...)

Rimor wrote:

Furthermore, is there any potential fix for this in the future? Feedback would be very much appreciated.
We just have to wait for lazer replacing the current stable. Lazer is already being good enough as of now.